Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Incorrect Oil Used For Gen 3 Service

Ancient Nerd

Hi Just asked my Toyota dealer Lookers of Rayleigh and they said without prompting that they use 0w20 oil for the Gen3, so it seems that it is getting through what is required.

According to the Toyota Dealer TOTTS system the following is listed

Oil Grade Oil Viscosity (SAE)

API grade SL "Energy-Conserving". 0w-20 5w-20

SM "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil 5w-30 10w-30

API grade SL or SM multigrade engine oil 15w-40 20w-50

Toyota genuine motor oil is available in:

08880-82652 Eng Oil 0W20 TGMO 1 Litres pack API SM/SL; ILSCAC GF-4 0W20

OR

08880-82533 PREMIUM FE Eng Oil 5W30 1 Litres pack API CF; ACEA A5/B5 C2 5W30

Now I am no oil expert, but I am lead to believe you should not be too hung up on the viscosity but on the actual API grade (quality). The 0w-20 oil will be slightly thinner (in laymans terms) and better for fuel consumption. Perhaps Guy from Opie Oils might spot this and comment :thumbsup:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, persistence has paid off! Those nice people from Toyota have now come up with a definitive statement about the oil that should be used in a Gen III Prius (I KNOW it says in the manual, but experience has shown that the dealers think they know better) :thumbsup: ...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everything-you-need-to-know/comment-page-2#comment-10742

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Melissa Coulton says:

March 23, 2010 at 12:10

Hello again Kev,

Many thanks for your patience.

Toyota GB has now issued revised guidelines to all Toyota Centres, clarifying which oil grades are suitable for Toyota vehicles. I’m pleased to say that I am now in a position therefore to confirm the correct oil grade for use in third-generation Prius.

Third-generation Prius is filled with 0W-20 Toyota Genuine Motor Oil at the factory. This is also the recommended service grade to be used by Toyota Centres. (Please note that this is specific to third-generation Prius and Auris HSD only, and does not apply to previous generations of Prius or Toyota Optimal Drive vehicles.)

Second-generation Prius is filled with 5W-30 FE Toyota Genuine Motor Oil at the factory, with the same oil grade recommended at services.

We are not able to comment on the suitability of any non-Toyota oils.

I hope this has cleared up any confusion or uncertainty. Thank you once again for your patience.

• Like 2

Thanks for that!

Hopefully, they will tell the dealer network.

Thanks for that!

Hopefully, they will tell the dealer network.

They have ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well, persistence has paid off!

Thanks for posting that message. :thumbsup:

Good news :yahoo:

Now the interesting thing is "have the dealers increased the price of service as a result of this change in oil"?

It would be interesting to hear if anybody is in a position to let us know.

• 5 months later...

I took my Gen3 Prius for its first service this morning.

In light of the discussions about the oil recommendations, my first question to the service receptionist was "what oil will be used"? to which, without any hesitation at all, his response was "0W20".

'fraid I can't comment about specific cost because the price that I negotiated when purchasing the vehicle included the first three services, so I did not pay anything further.

Well my 30k service is booked in for early next week so I'll see if the dealers get it right or wrong this time! :unsure:

Good news that Toyota UK have stressed the use of 0w20 for the latest hybrids. Obviously they have had a number of complaints about this to prompt the dealer service bulletin.

Well my 30k service is booked in for early next week so I'll see if the dealers get it right or wrong this time! :unsure:

Good news that Toyota UK have stressed the use of 0w20 for the latest hybrids. Obviously they have had a number of complaints about this to prompt the dealer service bulletin.

My 30,000 is booked for Saturday. There was no problem with oil at the last service, but I'm taking my own this time, courtesy of Opie Oils.

I know its probably been cleared up now but just to let you know that we only put in 0w20 as stated in the gen3 prius. I know it states you can use several grades of oil but 0w20 is the optimal oil listed.

I know its probably been cleared up now but just to let you know that we only put in 0w20 as stated in the gen3 prius. I know it states you can use several grades of oil but 0w20 is the optimal oil listed.

Hopefully it's all OK now, but I started this thread for the very reason that Toyota Cambridge put bog standard oil in at my first service. Along with overfilling the previous Gen II at every service, except the last, when they took the excess out before I collected it (This may have been a Toyota problem, but they kept on doing it).

These memories stay.

Hopefully it's all OK now, but I started this thread for the very reason that Toyota Cambridge put bog standard oil in at my first service. Along with overfilling the previous Gen II at every service, except the last, when they took the excess out before I collected it (This may have been a Toyota problem, but they kept on doing it).

These memories stay.

hi ancient nerd.

when you say toyota cambridge,is this turners toyota.the same as the one in bury st edmunnds.

if so its a wonder they even bothered to change your oil.

Sounds like you work for a Toyota dealers. If 0w20 is the only oil to be used, then why so many posts on here to the contrary? Also, my dealers give me the customer copy of the service sheet and its for the NHW20 (gen 2) rather then the ZVW30 (gen 3) so one wonders if they also copy the wrong oil information? When I queried this I was informed that it was the only one they have. If this is the case, have Toyota UK been dragging their feet sending out the service info?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links