Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Mpg During Winter

tuco1000

Hi everyone i purchased a brand new Aygo blue back in june 09 my milage now is 2257 miles as you can see from my milage virtually all my driving is urban driving . My problem is that when i first bought the car in the summer i was getting roughly 49mpg (urban)which i was very happy with considering the engine was brand new but i have noticed as each month has got colder drawing to winter my mpg has gradually decreased and now i am consistently averaging 42mpg (urban) . I know in winter because of cold starts , lights ,wipers , heating and the like is more often than not being used , but i still thought my reduction was a bit drastic :o . I was hoping other people could shed some light on this and say if there figures are similar to mine or should i be thinking of going back to the dealer ?

Thanks in advance to any replies tuco1000 :)

Hi. I purchased my Aygo in December (it's not brand new) and my MPG so far has been between 43 and 46. I'm driving economically, trying to use every trick there is to use less fuel, but it's especially hard given these conditions - such as having to let the car warm up even more, using the heater as you mentioned etc. I've had the car just a day over a month and I've only needed to fill up twice. I'm getting near to a fill-up, I'm waiting for the 'bleep' now, having just two 'blobs' left on the petrol gauge. My MPG is improving, because I've already done more miles than I did last time I had to fill up. And most of my driving has been urban, particularly so in the last week or so with crawling traffic etc. I wouldn't worry too much with regards to yours, bearing in mind that it's new, and I do think the weather takes its toll, even more so when it's as drastic as it has been. Just drive as economically as you can, I'm aiming for the 50 MPG (because that's roughly the quoted urban figure). It'll get better as the weather improves, I'm sure. Plus we're still getting used to our cars and how they drive! :D

Hi tuco1000

My experience is virtually identical to yours. Bought my AYGO Blue in June too, now has 4500 miles on the clock. Half the mileage is London driving, with 2 or 3 big drives to Europe making up the rest of the mileage.

Was also averaging almost exactly 49mpg no matter how I drove it in London (got it up to 65ish on the long European drives) - but now winter is here I too am averaging around the 42mpg mark. It does seem like a big drop, but I guess thats just what winter does, and at least you know you're still averaging more than most other drivers this time of year.

Have to say even in this severe weather the AYGO is performing very well, although it is times like this when I wish I had splashed out on the traction/skid control.

Your car is fine, you have answered your own question, with the cold weather the auto choke keeps the idle higher for longer (as it takes longer to warm up) and turning all the electrics on increases the effect as this raises the revs at idle. These both burn more fuel as the engine is running faster.

Diesels are even worse as they take a lot longer to warm up, our Passat & Verso both average in the 40's but there struggling to make 30 with all the warming up and additional queuing as our current journeys are all short ones due to all the snow we have.

although it is times like this when I wish I had splashed out on the traction/skid control.

My mpg has crashed as well, thawing the car out first thing kills the fuel economy. I’m sure things will even out as we have a blazing hot summer this year.

Agree with the VSC/TR, its times like this they come into their own :thumbsup:

Nothing to worry about, my mpg has also gone done in the cold weather

There is also more traffic in winter as fewer people are on holiday so you spend longer in queues.

Despite that I bet ours has plummeted - it's taking 10 minutes tickover everyday to defrost the inside of the windscreen! We've also been using it in the snow and we've had to use a few revs to stop us getting stuck on more than one occasion.

My typial MPG seems to have dropped from over 60 to 55 or lower. It's brought my average down to 59, it had been creeping towards 61. So that's a little annoying :angry:

I guess that's due to warming the car up on a morning and being sat in alot more traffic and also not turning my engine off at the lights. Having the hot blower and rear demist on is going to increase load on the engine a little bit too. :angry:

I dread to think what mpg I managed this morning. The ice was so thick on the car it was like someone had dipped the whole thing in molten glass and left it to harden.

De icer, icescraper, tepid water all had no effect on shifting it - the windows looked like a sheet of frosted glass had been fitted. I had to cover the windows with neat screenwash and leave the car ticking over for 20 minutes until enough heat had been generated for the ice melt. It was so thick it slid off in sheets rather than melting.

Horrendous stuff and I'm now officially sick and tired of this weather!

The ice was so thick on the car it was like someone had dipped the whole thing in molten glass and left it to harden.

A trick I found was to place a layer of cling film (other plastic sandwich wraps are available) on the windscreen after you have finished with the car for the night and the windscreen is clean and dry (be careful with air bubbles). Leave a flap of film hanging loose at the side. The next day pull the film off and the ice should come off with it.

Poor mpg in winter is a normal thing. We use AC, heating, lights more than in summer.

my car for example

in summer 53-55mpg

in winter 48-50mpg