Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chiptuning On Petrol Engines

SF695

Does any of you have any experience with chiptuning N/A petrol engines? I'm thinking A, S, AZ, ZZ and the new ZR family engines. If yes, how much power increes did you notice?

I would like to be able to do the same thing to my 2009 Avensis 2000cc. I am not sure if such a thing is available :unsure:

Hi,

Chip tuning on non-Turbo charged engines is a waste of time and money imho.

There is very little to tune.

I would like to be able to do the same thing to my 2009 Avensis 2000cc. I am not sure if such a thing is available :unsure:

Exactly. My car is getting old. Still running fine, but sooner or later the time will come when i have to buy a newer car. In my case with the new Avensis, there are 2 options. The 2.0 petrol(3ZR-FAE) or the 2.2 D-cat. The latter has lots of tuning options being a turbo. But not sure about the petrol. Same goes if i buy a used one. The D-cat is interesting, but the thing about the 2.0 petrol is that i don't gain that much in accelation compared to my present car. It can do 0-100 in 9.3 sec. with it's 128 bhk/1225 kg. which is about the same as the more powerful yet heavier newer models.

Hi,

Chip tuning on non-Turbo charged engines is a waste of time and money imho.

There is very little to tune.

Granted, the options are limited. But in the case of the 3ZR-FAE Valvematic, one could assume that you could gain a little more valve opening at high revs, giving some 15-20 horsepower. Assuming these engines are tuned for minimum CO2 outlet, allowing for a little power increase on the expence of the invorenment

Have you done the easier things like let it breath at both ends i.e air filter and exhaust system?

I cant recall any 4 cylinder N/A engines finding another 15-20 BHP from a chip.

... these engines are tuned for minimum CO2 outlet...

Personally, I doubt if you would even notice an increase of 15 horsepower.

Sure, you can measure it on a Dyno.

I wouldn't risk the machine and Cat for such a marginal difference.

Could be a very costly experiment. :unsure:

... these engines are tuned for minimum CO2 outlet...

Personally, I doubt if you would even notice an increase of 15 horsepower.

Sure, you can measure it on a Dyno.

I wouldn't risk the machine and Cat for such a marginal difference.

Could be a very costly experiment. :unsure:

Not worth it..

waste of money...

buy a quicker car.

There was a Top Gear episode once where Richard Hammond spent around £500 "improving" the performance of a non-turbo car - induction kit, wide bore exhaust, etc but £500 later the car was tested on a dyno and guess what, no performance improvement! I know that's not very scientific but it is a real world example and like the previous posters have said, it goes someway to proving that if you want to spend a small fortune making your car go faster then you'd probably be better off spending the money on buying yourself an old "hot hatch" and having fun with that instead.

There was a Top Gear episode once where Richard Hammond spent around £500 "improving" the performance of a non-turbo car - induction kit, wide bore exhaust, etc but £500 later the car was tested on a dyno and guess what, no performance improvement! I know that's not very scientific but it is a real world example and like the previous posters have said, it goes someway to proving that if you want to spend a small fortune making your car go faster then you'd probably be better off spending the money on buying yourself an old "hot hatch" and having fun with that instead.

What would be more scientific than a dyno test then??:)

Guess you're right. And there is allways the D-cat with it's turbo.

Except for that, we can only hope that a performance petrol engine will be availeble in a couple of years. Something like a V6 or a 2.0 turbo.

The reason why chip tuning on non-turbo charged engines is next to useless, is that the engine has to suck in air into its cylinders by itself.

The amount of air each cylinder is able to suck in before its inlet valve(s) close, is limited by the length and shape of the inlet path and all obstacles in it, like the air filter.

There is very little a designer can change about that.

Even modern techniques like Vvti, Valvematic, electronically controlled high pressure injection etc. can only gain small optimizations, due to the constraints of fuel ecomomy and ever increasing emission regulations.

Therefore, by fiddeling with the electronics or adding expensive "boxes" you will probably spend a lot of money for very little profit, and run the risk of breaking the engine and/or failing your MOT.

So, the only way to achieve a significant increase in power output from the same cylinder content, is by adding a turbo charger, which pumps more air into the cylinders so that more fuel can be injected resulting in a stronger combustion (= more torque and HP).

Now don't run out to buy a turbo... :rolleyes:

It presents a whole new world of problems.

Does any of you have any experience with chiptuning N/A petrol engines? I'm thinking A, S, AZ, ZZ and the new ZR family engines. If yes, how much power increes did you notice?
See justinfearns oil burner post about his replacement 1.8vvti 150bhp engine, i'm guessing it must be out of a celica, just a thought and maybe an idea as it's fitted to an Avensis! :thumbsup:

Pete.

See justinfearns oil burner post about his replacement 1.8vvti 150bhp engine, i'm guessing it must be out of a celica, just a thought and maybe an idea as it's fitted to an Avensis! :thumbsup:

Pete.

The oilburning issue with some 1zz-fe engines is not unheard of, as numerous posts on this forum comfirm problems with stock engines.

The reason why chip tuning on non-turbo charged engines is next to useless, is that the engine has to suck in air into its cylinders by itself.

The amount of air each cylinder is able to suck in before its inlet valve(s) close, is limited by the length and shape of the inlet path and all obstacles in it, like the air filter.

There is very little a designer can change about that.

Even modern techniques like Vvti, Valvematic, electronically controlled high pressure injection etc. can only gain small optimizations, due to the constraints of fuel ecomomy and ever increasing emission regulations.

Therefore, by fiddeling with the electronics or adding expensive "boxes" you will probably spend a lot of money for very little profit, and run the risk of breaking the engine and/or failing your MOT.

So, the only way to achieve a significant increase in power output from the same cylinder content, is by adding a turbo charger, which pumps more air into the cylinders so that more fuel can be injected resulting in a stronger combustion (= more torque and HP).

Now don't run out to buy a turbo... :rolleyes:

It presents a whole new world of problems.

I know it's difficult. But i was particularely curious about the 3ZR-FAE or for that matter it's smaller syblins, the 1 and 2 Valvematic engines, because in teory an engine with variable valve lift could be squeesed a little. One downside ofcourse being increased CO2 outlet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links