Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tappety Aygo Black!

ect76

Hi all,

First post - Be gentle!

Have a 56 plate Aygo Black 5dr A/C with 31k on the clock. Owned since new. This winter I've noticed it sounds quite tappety under load from cold. (Don't have a rev counter unfortunately so can't tell you the rev range - You notice it doing about 10mph+ in first, and then obviously the corresponding rev range for every gear after.)

It sounds normal at idle and if I give it a rev when in neutral.

Once it warms up after a few miles, it quietens but is still there very faintly. I thought it was perhaps just in need of a service, but that was just done 2000 miles ago by Western Toyota. It was like it when they serviced it too. It's been serviced every year as it should be.

It's now out of warranty and I'm a little scared it could be an expense I can't afford just now?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi all,

First post - Be gentle!

Have a 56 plate Aygo Black 5dr A/C with 31k on the clock. Owned since new. This winter I've noticed it sounds quite tappety under load from cold. (Don't have a rev counter unfortunately so can't tell you the rev range - You notice it doing about 10mph+ in first, and then obviously the corresponding rev range for every gear after.)

Once it warms up after a few miles, it quietens but is still there very faintly. I thought it was perhaps just in need of a service, but that was just done 2000 miles ago by Western Toyota. It was like it when they serviced it too. It's been serviced every year as it should be.

It's now out of warranty and I'm a little scared it could be an expense I can't afford just now?

Thanks for any advice!

Hello and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

The 3 cylinder 1.0 engine fitted to the Aygo and the 1.0 New yaris was never really known for its quietness and can sound a little rattly when cold under load.....................Is your oil level correct?

Not personally heard of any major failings of what is considered a "burst proof" little engine.............indeed Paul T on here uses his Aygo in the Toyota Sprint Series with no major problems.

Hope the above can give you some reassurance. :thumbsup:

I wonder if the oil is low, or the wrong grade? When was it last serviced and by who?

Definatly check the oil level before you drive another mile. :blink:

I wonder if the oil is low, or the wrong grade? When was it last serviced and by who?

Definatly check the oil level before you drive another mile. :blink:

Hi,

Oil last changed 2k ago by the Toyota dealer we bought it from. Checked levels and all seems good. I know the engine's not that refined but this was never like it last winter or the one before! I suppose it'll be ok, just a touch worrying that's all!

Are you sure that the noise comes from the engine? The muffler has some known issues. Sometimes the metal sheets inside the muffler come loose. I experienced it and at first it happened only when the engine is cold and gets worse when you rev up. It disappeared when the muffler gets warm. Of course it also happens when not under load.

Definitely is the engine - I'd know if it was the exhaust. Also, it only happens under load. Not simply revving it.

It sounds a little like a clackety diesel for the first few miles but nowhere near as loud and only above a certain RPM...

Definitely is the engine - I'd know if it was the exhaust. Also, it only happens under load. Not simply revving it.

It sounds a little like a clackety diesel for the first few miles but nowhere near as loud and only above a certain RPM...

hey dude welcome to the club, iv noticed similier tapping noise on mine since star of the winter months, mine does it most noticibly when idling with the clutch out when I press the clutch it stops, quietens down alot when the engine warms up (not that it gets much of a chance this !Removed! weather) I posted the same question on here a while ago and was told the noise was not exclusive to me and the toyota dealer says its just because the engines cold, sounds like yours could be the same thing.

hey dude welcome to the club, iv noticed similier tapping noise on mine since star of the winter months, mine does it most noticibly when idling with the clutch out when I press the clutch it stops, quietens down alot when the engine warms up (not that it gets much of a chance this !Removed! weather) I posted the same question on here a while ago and was told the noise was not exclusive to me and the toyota dealer says its just because the engines cold, sounds like yours could be the same thing.

Keep an eye on this.....have had a few Aygos with a rattle until you press the clutch pedal down.

The clutch cover straps cans snap - causing a loud rattle/knock until clutch pressed.

mart.

The 3 cylinder 1.0 engine fitted to the Aygo and the 1.0 New yaris was never really known for its quietness and can sound a little rattly when cold under load.....................Is your oil level correct?

Not personally heard of any major failings of what is considered a "burst proof" little engine.............indeed Paul T on here uses his Aygo in the Toyota Sprint Series with no major problems.

Hope the above can give you some reassurance. :thumbsup:

Red Yaris is correct. The Aygo is a first generation model. The new addition has a new pulley to dampen down vibration. Its unlikey its anything wrong with the engine. I ve noticed my Aygo Blue do the same thing BUT only when the car sits at an odd angle on the raod, or when she starts from cold.

Here`s a link to show "Noise, vibration and harshness improvements". Its the Second section down. This ONLY applies to the face lifted model.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota-ay...-2-02-02-09.asp

Hi all,

First post - Be gentle!

Thanks for any advice!

That's exactly what my 57 plate Aygo Black is doing. It has got steadily worse from 30 000 miles. I posted it earlier on this forum and someone suggested that it was piston slap. I tend to agree about piston slap because it is ok when weather is warm and when weather is exceptionally cold. Only does it when averagely cold.

I've been waiting until it is so bad that the dealer can't say he doesn't hear it.

I'm interested by the "wrong oil" suggestion since I took out the Toyota service deal.......could the dealer be scrimping on the oil grade? Any way to tell?

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm sure I heard my Aygo tapping this morning, funny how it just had it's service at Toyota. Guess it'll be straight back in again if it does it tomorrow!!!!!

Was there any more on this? Did it re-occur and/or get fixed?

FYI - 40,000 miles.

• 8 years later...

Any news on this? My Yaris 2006 does the same thing. 

17 minutes ago, whoever said:

Any news on this?

The topic is 9 years old and the last post was 19th April 2010.