Do Not Sell My Personal Information

04 Avensis 1.8 Vvti Oil Consumption

JustinFearn

Hi,

This is my first post. Could anyone tell me if there is a known problem with excessive oil consumption on the 04 plate Avensis. I have had my beloved car for 13 months and took great care looking after it. I serviced it in late Sept with 58k on the clock and on 30th Dec 09 on my way home from work it developed a ticking noise from the top of the engine (60187 on clock) . I got my car home and had a mechanic friend listen to it and we checked the oil to find it was VERY low. (nb. no oil warning light) He suggested i top it up which i did with 1 litter of oil. The next time i took the car out the engine ceased. I had my broken Avensis towed :-( to Toyota and after a £450 bill Toyota told me the engine was toast and quoted me £3500 to fix. Now my friend who works for Toyota says there is a known problem with the oil seals / oil pump hence the oil seal repair kits available for my car... Listers say basically it ran dry, but they don't know for sure and can't be sure because they did not have the car in before the problem occurred.

Fortunately (if you can call it that) my same friend has organized a reckon engine with Toyota warranty be put into it for £1500 externally thru a separate garage. This engine has upgraded oil seals and upgraded oil pump.

Have i got any hope of getting help with this bill.

Thanks in advance.

post-88365-1263226373_thumb.jpg

There is a known issue with some 1.8 VVTI's have a search and you will be able to get up to speed if nobody answers quickly.

Hi,

This is my first post. Could anyone tell me if there is a known problem with excessive oil consumption on the 04 plate Avensis. I have had my beloved car for 13 months and took great care looking after it. I serviced it in late Sept with 58k on the clock and on 30th Dec 09 on my way home from work it developed a ticking noise from the top of the engine (60187 on clock) . I got my car home and had a mechanic friend listen to it and we checked the oil to find it was VERY low. (nb. no oil warning light) He suggested i top it up which i did with 1 litter of oil. The next time i took the car out the engine ceased. I had my broken Avensis towed :-( to Toyota and after a £450 bill Toyota told me the engine was toast and quoted me £3500 to fix. Now my friend who works for Toyota says there is a known problem with the oil seals / oil pump hence the oil seal repair kits available for my car... Listers say basically it ran dry, but they don't know for sure and can't be sure because they did not have the car in before the problem occurred.

Fortunately (if you can call it that) my same friend has organized a reckon engine with Toyota warranty be put into it for £1500 externally thru a separate garage. This engine has upgraded oil seals and upgraded oil pump.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Justin

I feel yr pain really coz i ve the same issue before this model selling.

But the problem is another connected with pistons overheating resulting skirts oil draiin holes clogging with oil slag. I ve all photos as proveness subject to interrest shown. I admiss that valves stems oil seal rings have become inflexible enabling oil to be sucted into combustion /exhaust ways.

In case you ve still warranty - it is better to claim it having shown all documental provements of relevant service in order to have new short motor substituted under warranty. Cheers/Igor

Thank you both cabcurtains and igormus for your replies,

I think I'm up to speed with regards to the extent this problem is effecting the VVTI engines. Can you confirm if mine, being an 2004 plate, is included. I got the impression it was the older shap? What bugs me most is that i know there was oil in the engine as I'd carried out the last service, and had checked the level in the weeks prior to the problem. My fear is, as it was myself whom carried the service out, with only the purchase receipt for the items I bought for that service, I have no proof that I maintained my vehicle. You know what else smarts, no warning lights, no anything. Something catastrophically went wrong which caused it to fail in this way. For it to burn a couple of litters of oil that fast. O.M.G

Toyota Servicing have so far been VERY unhelpful.

Igormus - I have no extended warranty, how can i prove that it was this seal rings which failed. I have the engine (if admittedly in bits), would photos help?

Thank you both cabcurtains and igormus for your replies,

I think I'm up to speed with regards to the extent this problem is effecting the VVTI engines. Can you confirm if mine, being an 2004 plate, is included. I got the impression it was the older shap? What bugs me most is that i know there was oil in the engine as I'd carried out the last service, and had checked the level in the weeks prior to the problem. My fear is, as it was myself whom carried the service out, with only the purchase receipt for the items I bought for that service, I have no proof that I maintained my vehicle. You know what else smarts, no warning lights, no anything. Something catastrophically went wrong which caused it to fail in this way. For it to burn a couple of litters of oil that fast. O.M.G

Toyota Servicing have so far been VERY unhelpful.

Igormus - I have no extended warranty, how can i prove that it was this seal rings which failed. I have the engine (if admittedly in bits), would photos help?

Justin

I have had 03 Avensis before with the same issue -- the engine has been working like a dream with good acceleration and power -- time to time i checked with crankase air breathing rubber pipe connected to the suction manifold -- no any gases pussing from -- it proves comoopression is in limits. but the only problem was with an oil converting into slaggs blocking drain holes. Your 04 car ooks the same coz the shape + engine have not been gradially changed. You have several ways now: to prove good service from yrself subject you ve been servicing her in good garage with respective stamps in the service book and try to claim for new short motor; or to pay for new short motor; or to change an oil schedule -- let say on 10W40 instead of 5w30 speciafied in the manual. Your next issue will be with cat convertor due to oil burnt exhaust -- be ready (!!!) -- this one costs money as well. You ve clear conscience coz of good service but this fault is T's engineers but not yrs -- but now you're face to face with this issue. May be you can try to trade in this car??? CHeers/Igor

Igor

I am having a reconditioned engine fitted by a friend, he's Toyota approved and has sourced me a 1.8 vvti 150bhp engine with 12 months warranty. I have had my car valued in its current state an I've been offered £1725 by listers against the value of a new car. YEAH OK!! and £4250 if in working order. even after i have paid the £1500 to get her fixed, I may be forced to sell her, so i can repay the loan i have taken to pay for the work. :-(

I feel Mr T's made a crazy fool of me...

Igor

I am having a reconditioned engine fitted by a friend, he's Toyota approved and has sourced me a 1.8 vvti 150bhp engine with 12 months warranty. I have had my car valued in its current state an I've been offered £1725 by listers against the value of a new car. YEAH OK!! and £4250 if in working order. even after i have paid the £1500 to get her fixed, I may be forced to sell her, so i can repay the loan i have taken to pay for the work. :-(

I feel Mr T's made a crazy fool of me...

Justin

Before installation -- you had to know what does it mean as reconditioned in details. In case you planed to have this car for years it would be cheapper to change short motor. Now you have to conside what to do :( sorry

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Justin

Do you have a full service history for this car? And I'f it's non Toyota service stamps (Independents) can you show Toyota Parts were fitted?

Has your friend looked into the extended Engine Warranty from Toyota?

We only have a part toyota service history, and the last service was carried out by myself. the book is in he car which is at the garage :-( what do i need to ask my friend with regards to the extended warrantly on this engine? all i know is it that it comes with 12 months warranty.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hiya,

We havde an 02 plate 1.8 which developed problems, the warranty covered vehicles upto 7 years old or 125k miles. Full service history for the vehciles was not required or even viewed as the was serviced by Toyota for the first three years of its life, that is all they were interested in. The garage also said that as long as it had been serviced by a recognisied garage that was acceptable. If in doubt about this talk to your local Toyota customer services, not the garage. We found them very helpful and totallly clear about how the extended warranty worked.

The work on our vehicle took a little longer than expected, in the end we had a new top and bottom of engine. Although it took a little time to complete we felt we were very well treated with absolutely no hassle from Toyota.

Chris

Hi All

Well i spoke with Mr. T and my 1ZZ engine does NOT suffer from a oil consumption problem (only engine codes AD) so no extended warranty will be offered. I feel i should warn any potential Avensis owners that something is not right with this engine and it CAN suffer complete oil loss in a VERY short period of time without warning. My next car will unfortunately not be a Toyota.

Justin

My 03 Avensis est was supping lots of oil. I spoke to my dealer (Beadles) and they filled it up with oil and noted the miles. I took it back after a set number of miles and they topped it up and established how much oil it had used. To my surprise they agreed it was drinking too much and fitted a new short engine free and gave me a loan Prius while they did it. I was pretty pleased…!

Sounds like you have had some rotten luck….

Hi All

Well i spoke with Mr. T and my 1ZZ engine does NOT suffer from a oil consumption problem (only engine codes AD) so no extended warranty will be offered. I feel i should warn any potential Avensis owners that something is not right with this engine and it CAN suffer complete oil loss in a VERY short period of time without warning. My next car will unfortunately not be a Toyota.

Justin

Justin

DO not be too much categorical -- yes in order to catch the client each brand puts on the market a crude product -- in our case it is an avensis 1ZZ-FE engine. My advise to you is to be in close contact to MrT mechanics (service mechanic/s) that take over your car - they know definitely what engines/cars have MINOR issues with engines. I ve followed the same way and in private I ve got all info I need to select the next car model. In general this 1ZZ-FE is quite good with good fuel economy subject to each piston would have sufficient cooling to prevent an oil slaggs.

Cheers/Igor

I too had a problem with exessive oil use which was first noticed last July and has only now reached an end. This was only noticed when I took the car in to my dealer to have a engine management light fault checked. The light was due to the cat-convertor and they carried out an oil usage check. Once confirmed that the car was burning oil I had a new short block fitted under warranty in October (the car is a 03 plate 1.8 T4), but Toyota refused to replace the cat and sensors at the same time until they "saw how it went". Well the new engine has been fine, however I am still having the problem with the enigine management light. Following numerous trips to the dealer to have this re-set, Toyota have now refused to change the parts regardless to the fact the they have been damaged as a direct cause of the engine burning oil. So as a result I have traded the car in for a 58 plate Auris this coming week.

The 1zz-fe engine does suffer oil consumption my dads old avensis needed a new engine at 40k, also my old 1.4 vvt-i corolla needed a new engine due to oil onsumption.

The 1zz-fe engine does suffer oil consumption my dads old avensis needed a new engine at 40k, also my old 1.4 vvt-i corolla needed a new engine due to oil onsumption.

I can confirm this my 03 avensis 1.8 vvti with 38k which is a 1ZZ-fe is getting a new motor next week due to oil consumption and covered by MR T (extended warranty is 7 years or 100,000 miles)

I can confirm this my 03 avensis 1.8 vvti with 38k which is a 1ZZ-fe is getting a new motor next week due to oil consumption and covered by MR T (extended warranty is 7 years or 100,000 miles)

Both are engines where replaced free of charge under the toyota extended warranty after several oil consumption checks.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I have two Toyota's one is a Carina E 221,000 miles, it uses no oil between changes.

The second is an Avensis 1.8vvti Automatic with 96,000 on the clock. The engine has been using oil at the rate of 1 litre every 700 miles since 37,0000 miles.

On another forum I read of a cure. The person who posted the reply claimed that by using about 4 tankfulls of High Octane unleaded instead of ordinary unleaded the problem improves.

As an engineer of 50 years I was not convinced about this but then I though maybe the detergents used in the High octane may be better that the ordinary unleaded & may clear sludge or crud from the oil scrapper ring groove, so I tried this out.

Well, 4 tankfulls of high octane later, the oil consumption has dropped to 1 litre every 3000 miles. I am going to use one more tankfull then revert back to ordinary unleaded to see what happens.

Give it a go it may work for you.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Do you have to have taken out an extended warranty with Toyota or is it just offered regardless on the engine because of the known fault?