Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Missing On Carina E

colinf1

:angry: I have a L reg Carina e which had the timing belt & water pump replaced around 6 months ago- ever since coincidentally or not it has been missing when warmed up and occasionally the tick over is eratic. I have replaced the Dist Cap, Dist, HT leads,Rotor Arm, Lamda Sensor,Spark Plugs completely twice and No1 ( far left when looking at engine) 3 times as this plug is by far the most damaged. The other thing which I think is elevant is that the car heater stopped giving hot air after the pump was fitted and I only get warm air now. I have ran Radflush through the system but the water coming out after flushing was as clean as when it went in, I keep telling my Mechanic that I beleive there is a blockage which in turn may be causing the missing when warm but they keep saying that they have checked all this out and it is not the problem-Does anybody have any ideas?

:angry: I have a L reg Carina e which had the timing belt & water pump replaced around 6 months ago- ever since coincidentally or not it has been missing when warmed up and occasionally the tick over is eratic. I have replaced the Dist Cap, Dist, HT leads,Rotor Arm, Lamda Sensor,Spark Plugs completely twice and No1 ( far left when looking at engine) 3 times as this plug is by far the most damaged. The other thing which I think is elevant is that the car heater stopped giving hot air after the pump was fitted and I only get warm air now. I have ran Radflush through the system but the water coming out after flushing was as clean as when it went in, I keep telling my Mechanic that I beleive there is a blockage which in turn may be causing the missing when warm but they keep saying that they have checked all this out and it is not the problem-Does anybody have any ideas?

Head gasket....losing any coolant or any oil in the expansion tank?

• 4 weeks later...

injectors were always prone to fail. they never put a code in or put the engine light on but the used to stay open and throw fuel in causing a misfire.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I don't know much but... having had an intermittent hesitation for 18 months on my 1.6 4a-fe Carina E here are some comments. Determine the difference between a hesitation and 'running off one cylinder'. As my Oxygen sensor was the indicated fault code I was fooled into thinking this was some sort of emission/fuel mix thing, only to be told after fitting a denso equivalent sensor myself(from www.sparkplugs.com, and yes denso do supply the originals for Toyota) that it was always running off the no1 cylinder and that 'the oxygen sensor wouldn't cause that'. If you can deternime that the engine is running off one cylinder (remove each lead in turn when the problem is there), try swopping two plugs or leads over. My mechanic found that the fault followed the no1 BLUE FUEL INJECTOR to the adjacent cyl when swopped over. I got one from a breaker for £20 - he and this forum (elsewhere) say the blue ones give the trouble. Their plastic tops are blue where the grey elec connector attaches. I think determining whether the same cyl is always misfiring may save time and money.

Maurice

injectors were always prone to fail. they never put a code in or put the engine light on but the used to stay open and throw fuel in causing a misfire.

I can only say: listen to the last 2 posts. It sounds like the injector at cylinder 1 is faulty.

I hope that you have got your engine to work correct already Colinf1. It is about 4 months since you started this thread. If you have not changed the injector yet you should get a second hand one and change it. They are ridiculous expensive from Toyota brand new.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links