Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Definitive 2.2 D4d Head Gasket Stance By Toyota

robvensis

I wrote to toyota (GB) PLC to find out exactly what Toyota's opinion and stance is regarding 2.2 Diesel head gasket issues and here is their response which I received today:-

"Toyota Does not have an official warranty extension in place for head gaskets. However, as a responsible manufacturer, and to assist our customers we may, subject to appropriate diagnosis, consider covering the repairs as a result of head gasket failure as long as the vehicle is less than 5 years old and has covered less than 99,419 miles (which ever comes sooner.)"

Not sure where the 99,419 comes from but there you have it! Nothing official, but consideration from the group.

regards

robert

I wrote to toyota (GB) PLC to find out exactly what Toyota's opinion and stance is regarding 2.2 Diesel head gasket issues and here is their response which I received today:-

"Toyota Does not have an official warranty extension in place for head gaskets. However, as a responsible manufacturer, and to assist our customers we may, subject to appropriate diagnosis, consider covering the repairs as a result of head gasket failure as long as the vehicle is less than 5 years old and has covered less than 99,419 miles (which ever comes sooner.)"

Not sure where the 99,419 comes from but there you have it! Nothing official, but consideration from the group.

regards

robert

Obviously Toyotas reply isn't making any widespread commitment and at least they haven't said "No". Most motor manufacturers seem to be taking this view when dealing with customer complaints. Similar to Renaults fiasco over failing bonnet catches and Fords faulty dash displays.

If you convert 99,419 miles to Kilometres it works out at 159,999 Kms - so it looks like they have decided on the 160K Km being the limit.

Anyone know what symptoms you get with these typres of head gasket failures ?

Anyone know what symptoms you get with these typres of head gasket failures ?
Hi Tubaman, according to a Toyota Tec at my dealership he said "small white dots settling on the black plastic cover on top of the engine", this is the residue from the pink/red Toyota antifreeze and is the very first sign along with a small loss of coolant in the reservoir. Obviously check that you don't have any leaking hoses or radiator etc. Check your coolant level when the engine is cold on a regular basis and keep an eye open for the staining on the top cover, probably a good idea to give the cover a clean now. Of course there are other ways of testing for a blown gasket but this is the first signs according to Toyota ...... so if anyone has these signs along with no warranty, ie no service history etc, trade it in, as I believe the cost can be up to £4,500.00!! :o The complete engine and transmission has to be removed to remove the cylinder head.

Best regards and fingers crossed, Pete.

The complete engine and transmission has to be removed to remove the cylinder head.

if true that's monumentally stupid design :wacko:

The complete engine and transmission has to be removed to remove the cylinder head.

Yes i'm sorry but it's true and you are right about the stupid design. :thumbsup:

Pete.

Sorry to be a little thick, but, where is the oil/water mix coming from to cause the small white dots settling on the black plastic cover on top of the engine ?

(The residue from the pink/red Toyota antifreeze and is the very first sign along with a small loss of coolant in the reservoir)

Sorry to be a little thick, but, where is the oil/water mix coming from to cause the small white dots settling on the black plastic cover on top of the engine ?

(The residue from the pink/red Toyota antifreeze and is the very first sign along with a small loss of coolant in the reservoir)

Sorry but i didn't ask that question but i assume it's coming from the coolant expansion reserviour cap but i may be wrong, next time I go in to the dealership I will ask. By the way there was no mention of oil in the water by Toyota at that stage just dried antifreeze.

Regards Pete.

Are we saying that the new head gasket is modified and if so any idea as to when that modified gasket became available.

I had the modified pistons and rings fitted 12 months ago and wonder what gasket would have been fitted

Oh dear, someone else has already pointed out that 99,419miles is 160thousand Kilometres....

Could be interesting to get a statement about how common this problem really is. I mean no offense, but this is a forum where people post questions about problems with their cars. So obviously you will read a lot about it here.

Yes i'm sorry but it's true and you are right about the stupid design. :thumbsup:

Pete.

Had a chat with the service manager at my dealer today as my car was in for a scheduled service.

He says that you can remove the 2.2 D4D cylinder head on any without dropping the engine & transmission but that on the Verso because of the shape of the engine bay some find it easier to do it that way.On a normal Avensis it shouldn't be necessary to do that.

Also apparently the current thinking is that it isn't inherently the gasket or cylinder head but there is a suspicion that the anti-freeze is causing the problem which ties in with what you were told about the first signs.

Pete.

Had a chat with the service manager at my dealer today as my car was in for a scheduled service.

He says that you can remove the 2.2 D4D cylinder head on any without dropping the engine & transmission but that on the Verso because of the shape of the engine bay some find it easier to do it that way.On a normal Avensis it shouldn't be necessary to do that.

Also apparently the current thinking is that it isn't inherently the gasket or cylinder head but there is a suspicion that the anti-freeze is causing the problem which ties in with what you were told about the first signs.

Not wanting to take this any further but I did speak to different techs on different days who both said the same thing ... engine has to come out due to the chain driven cam covers etc.etc.

My Avensis has been done and it has the very same anti freeze in as before, well same colour anyway, red/pink, even gave me a one ltr bottle of it to top up with if required.

Regards Pete.

Not wanting to take this any further but I did speak to different techs on different days who both said the same thing ... engine has to come out due to the chain driven cam covers etc.etc.

My Avensis has been done and it has the very same anti freeze in as before, well same colour anyway, red/pink, even gave me a one ltr bottle of it to top up with if required.

Regards Pete.

possibly different garage, different operating procedures?

as I said I was told that some garages at least on the Verso find it easier to drop it rather than do it from above, in the same way that some garages will take off the bumper to change lightbulbs & others won't.

Maybe your garage extends that to the standard Avensis whereas mine doesn't?

I believe that I have a decent Toyota dealer (e.g. in the service they cleaned my EGR without being asked or charged (& it's not part of the regular Avensis service afaik) so I have no reason to believe that the service manager was telling me porkies.

As for the anti-freeze - well, it 's the same colour but has the chemical composition changed any ... ? ;)

Regards Pete.

possibly different garage, different operating procedures?

as I said I was told that some garages at least on the Verso find it easier to drop it rather than do it from above, in the same way that some garages will take off the bumper to change lightbulbs & others won't.

Maybe your garage extends that to the standard Avensis whereas mine doesn't?

I believe that I have a decent Toyota dealer (e.g. in the service they cleaned my EGR without being asked or charged (& it's not part of the regular Avensis service afaik) so I have no reason to believe that the service manager was telling me porkies.

As for the anti-freeze - well, it 's the same colour but has the chemical composition changed any ... ? ;)

To the reply a couple of boxes above about the service manager. There is noway that dealer could have replaced the head gasket on any 1Ad-FTV (2.0), 2Ad-FTV, or 2AD-FHV (2.2 T180) engine on any model without dropping the engine. first to get the timing case cover off you need to drop the sump, then to get the head off you need to remove the timing cover, theres noway that can be done without the engine being removed. the best way to tell if the headgasket has gone is to check if the coolant reservoir has blackened with carbon, they go really dark almost jet black and also a loss of coolant. rgards mark. also they cahnged the egr without your permission due to the fact that it gets the dealership a payment from toyota for doing it, although, obviously it helps the you aswell by saving you another trip into the dealer again.

Are we saying that the new head gasket is modified and if so any idea as to when that modified gasket became available.

I had the modified pistons and rings fitted 12 months ago and wonder what gasket would have been fitted

Anyone update on this little query please - modified head gasket or the original spec still

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Anyone update on this little query please - modified head gasket or the original spec still

Thanks

Hi All New to the Site

I have a burning question to ask you all in conection with “Definitive 2.2 D4d Head Gasket Stance By Toyota”.

I have just purchased Avensis 2.2D4d T180 Tourer 07 plate 91000 miles on the clock, have had it for 4 days then noticed a rapid tempreture rise. Took it to my local garage who had a look and told me that they think that it was the head gasket. I then took it to my local dealership who confirmed my worst fears that it had gone or that there was a fault that pointed to either the cylinder head,block or gasket . As I know the peron that I had bought the car from they informed me that the car had already had a replacment gasket done in March 09. The dealershsip has contacted Toyota GB and have decalred that they are notmprepared to hnour any work as it is over the 60000 mile warranty. From reading other threads on the forum it seems to be that Toyota do have an issue with the cylinder head gasket and I am looking for confirmation from anyone with regards to the extension of the warranty to 100000. I am absolutely flabbergasted that a two years and ten months old car will need 3 gaskets.

Toyota GB have now come back and said they want a total diagnosis of the fault but have not committed to meet any of the costs for a strip down diagnosis or repair which currently sits for strip doen at £679 just to investigate. Any ideas on how best to resolve this issue?

Visit vosa recalls for information in regards to this matter, it may be of help. All car manufacturers by law have to post details of any recalls on vosa website. You may find internal TSB's in regard to this matter wrapped up in mechanical jargon, may be of some help. Just don't enter Prius.

• 1 month later...

regards

robert

I recently had my 2007 Rav4 2.2 D4D in for its 90K service and pointed out the small water leak from the header tank. The bad news came back that it was probably the head gasket and that engine would need to be removed etc with a potential bill of up to £2,000. However, Service Manager was confident that Toyota would pay for the repair even though car was out of warranty. It transpires that the head, block, pistons etc will all need to be replaced but Toyota are going to pay for the remedial work. Thank God I've been paying a premium for main dealer service for the last 3 years! I have to say that Toyota have had a bad press over recent months but this has shown that they are at least an honorable company and are prepared to support loyal customers.

regards

robert

Hi mate just to clear the 99,419miles up, it's because Toyota normally work in Km which equates to 160,000 Km.;)

Regards Pete.

• 2 months later...

I recently had my 2007 Rav4 2.2 D4D in for its 90K service and pointed out the small water leak from the header tank. The bad news came back that it was probably the head gasket and that engine would need to be removed etc with a potential bill of up to £2,000. However, Service Manager was confident that Toyota would pay for the repair even though car was out of warranty. It transpires that the head, block, pistons etc will all need to be replaced but Toyota are going to pay for the remedial work. Thank God I've been paying a premium for main dealer service for the last 3 years! I have to say that Toyota have had a bad press over recent months but this has shown that they are at least an honorable company and are prepared to support loyal customers.

I have just received confirmation that my RAV4 D4D, 52,000 on an 06 plate, will have it's repairs carried out FOC by Toyota. It was two weeks out of extended warranty when it spat it's coolant out of the header tank. Garage say bill would have been between £6-8,000! New head, block pistons etc...

Surley cheaper to put a new engine in?

At least I'm not paying...thanks Toyota!

Does this problem only affect the D4D Diesel engines?

Up until a few weeks ago I owned an MG ZR with the K series engine which is the subject of many a joke based on the rate of head gasket failures. It seems it not alone in suffering this problem.

Mind you when they do go they only cost £400 to get fixed.