Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Engine Problems On New Corolla?

gaz

Those of you who have red my previous posts in the past will know the problems I have had with my now 14 month old corolla 1.6 Tspirit. Well last weekend after taking the vehicles to only 5000 RPM for the first time, a knocking sound started to developed from 2000 to 3000 RPM from cold, remaining for several miles until the engine was hot. The fault has been identified as piston slap or worn small ends. The car has only covered 8000 miles and now requires a new engine. You can imagine how I feel. A new engine has been ordered. Just hope this is better than the last one. I spent 12 months trying to convince Toyota dealers that the engine didn't sound right and this incident now proves it.

The web site corollaand.com mentions the possibility of unreliable corolla engines on the latest model.

Can't find the website - can you double check the address for me?

I'm looking forward to getting my 1.6 T-Spirit next week - well I was.... :o

Sorry the web address http://www.corolland.com/repairs.html

It reads:-

Rene wrote: "Believe it or not, there is rumoured to be a problem with the new Corolla engines. They are noisy, and there seems to be a problem with the timing belt tensioners. The vibration problem will go away, but it would appear that you will need to replace an engine mount (not enough damping) or wait for the engine mount to loosen with time, thus providing more damping and hence less vibration intrusion into the gauge pod. Only time will tell what is your next course of action.

I would wait for the face lift, they might get it right by then!

Cheers - I will go off and have a read.

Too late about waiting for the facelift. My current car had to go....and go now..... so I've already ordered my Corolla which I'm due to collect next friday.... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well new short engine is being fitted this week. Lets hope this lasts longer than 8000 miles, and that they have put everythhing back together OK.

Hi Gaz

The only trouble i've had with my engine is a cracked manifold, or so what they told me.

It sounded noisy when revved, but once fixed seems ok for now.

I've covered just over 20000 miles, and only a few minor problems, but saying that, i've think my gearbox is making a funny sound now :eek:

Have to wait and find out :help:

Bing

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links