Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Aftermarket Cd Changer For Corolla T3?

ukguy

Hi there.

Can anyone recommend a good and cost effective CD Changer that is fully compatible with the OEM head unit on a 2003 Corolla T3? I understand I would need to purchase a wiring harness adaptor aswell, a model number and a point of sale contact would also be very helpful please.

Any info' or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Adam

Hey Adam,

This link was taken from another thread where someone is looking for an aftermarket CD/MP3 changer for their Corolla.

http://www.add-a-cdchanger.co.uk/acatalog/...ted_Radios.html

Just look at the type of changer you want (MP3, CD or MD) and browse Toyota. You might find one to your liking. By the way, I am almost 100% sure that ALL new shape Corollas have the Matsu****a model head unit as standard (I know mine is).

As for myself... I just went and got a whole new setup. Took the standard one out and put in a Kenwood in-dash screen, 10 disk CD/MP3 changer, Sat Nav, 2 x amps, 1 x 12" Sub and 1 set of tweeters in the rear. Pictures are on the Gallery pages 78-79 (last 5 pics on 78 and first 5 on 79).

Hope this helps.

Atik

Hi and thanks for your helpful reply. To confirm the radio I have, would I need to remove it from the car (this looks like it would take me a while)? The link you gave is interesting, I notice the MP3 player from Sony looks pretty cool. I wonder if there are any national chains (Halfords etc) that stock these adaptors? I say this because their returns policy would probably be more beneficial if it failed to work!

Your setup sounds very nice! Although I'm just looking for something a lot milder really, just a cd/mp3 changer would suffice at this stage!

Thanks again,

Adam

To get the model number of the HU, yes, you will need to remove it and get access to the top surface of it.

However, if you have the same as mine (Sep 2002, 52 Reg, Corolla T3 5 door)...

MODEL NO... 86120-02260

and there is a REF NO... CQ-TS7170L (may be different for other units)

and is manufactured by Matsu****a.

I have taken a picture of mine so you can get an idea...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/al...lbum01/DSC00828

None of the connectors are labelled so I'm unsure of what each does. There are 4 sets of connectors (white) and the aerial connection. The connector on the top left of the pic is split into two blocks if that helps.

Atik

Hi atikali2000, we meet again! Thanks for your reply once more. I also appreciate you posting the picture, it gives me an idea of what sort of wiring harness I would need! I would presume you bought a wiring harness so as to integrate your aftermarket unit to the existing wiring loom? May I ask if so, where you purchased this from? Would any high street names sell these sort of items do you think. All I'm thinking is that it might be easy to return the harness if there were any complications (like non compatibility etc). I need to get myself prepared before asking such questions as I'm a complete novice, all I know is I want a CD Changer, but now I'm warming to the idea of a motorised system with possible Sat Nav though.

Adam, :P

If I remember rightly, back when I was looking for a wiring harness for the Corolla to Kenwood, I was unsuccessful. In the end I got my installer guy to fit each individual wire to the right connection. I would think this is readily available now (maybe at Autoleads), but cant be 100% sure. I think I have my Toyota wiring loom somewhere in my shed, which means it was cut off at the time for individual wiring connections.

I agree completely about going into this being prepared. I had no help when I did mine and parts were not even available back then.

Coming round to the idea of a whole new setup? :thumbsup: Just make sure it is what you want and you spend the right amount for what you want.

Atik

Atik,

Well I had a Yaris before this, and that had a Monochrome Sat Nav Setup, I do like the idea of the Kenwood setup, and even more I like the idea of taking it out and transferring it to my next car as and when I get it!! :thumbsup:

It's just a question of doing more research and deciding what I want exactly, and most importantly how much I am prepared to spend! In the meantime though, I may just get an alarm and a decent cd/mp3 changer as an interim measure and see how I get on. It'll be a case of see how much the full whack is (dvd sat nav, cd changer, new h/u) and comparing costs :blink:

Thanks again! :yes:

Adam

• 1 month later...

Adam

If you have the genuine Toyota audio system fitted in your car then no afternarket CD changer will fully integrate with the head unit. Toyota use special protocals on all the head units instead of standard AVC-Lan so that only the genuine Toyota products will fully integrate with them. Thus, is you want a CD changer that works with the head unit (display of head unit shows which CD is playing and what track from CD changer etc) then you will have to buy a genuine Toyota CD changer. They ahve two available for the Corolla, a 6-disc changer that they fit under one of the front seats and a 6-disc that they fit in the dashboard by removing one of the single DIN openings with flip down 'door'. The one that fits under the seat is preety easy to fit if you want to fit it yourself as it comes with a wiring harness that plugs straight into the vehicle wiring loom so no fiddling about with trying to work out which wire is what.

Jim

Thanks for your help with the CD Changer thing. I've just posted another message aswell, basically I now have access to a '99 Corolla CD Changer, the one that fits under the front passenger seat. I'd like to know if it will fit my new Corolla model? Also when you say it plugs into the vehicle wiring harness, I see wiring going from the unit in the '99 corolla to the changer, it appears to be it's own wiring though. If I remove this will the connector plug right into the unit on the '04 corolla? The harness plugs into this 1.jpg

Is there the same connector on the '04 head unit, before I rip it out?

Any help would be appreciated as you seem quite knowledgable on this!

Adam

Adam

Yes the CD changer from the '99 Corolla will also fit the new model. Just make sure you take the wiring harness connecting the CD changer to the head unit out of the old model as well. This harness will then plug straight into the back of the head unit on the '04 Corolla as the head units use the same 12-pin connector. It really is as easy as that!

He Adam and Jim, seems youre overlooking something, I just had a changer fitted and had to wait an extra day as the dealer forgot to order a extra bit of wiring, It seems you need some small conversion wire for the 04 model. according to the dealer the connector changed on the headunit. I'ts a short wire you can get at any dealer.

cheers

The conversion harness is not required on the 03 Corolla as they have not changed the connector on this head unit yet. It has changed on other models like the Avensis, Previa, Avensis Verso etc but definatley not Corolla.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links