Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st Fuel Bar

Jimmy Grimble

:huh: i got 85 miles (brand new car) from my first bar is that normal (im not used to driving a petrol and i think im going to have to get a rev counter)

:huh: i got 85 miles (brand new car) from my first bar is that normal (im not used to driving a petrol and i think im going to have to get a rev counter)

hi, I've had the car 6 months and with the cold weather I'm only getting about 70 to 75 mpg for first bar but having said that during the summer was getting 85 approx, not on a long run i may add, so 85 sounds about right.some of the other members who have had there car much longer may be able to add to the post and give there opinion.

regards

johnhrh

I've had the car 4months and the best I have got is about 115 but usually 94-96 on the first block, but during this cold weather it's been more like 80-85, so yours seems pretty normal...especially as it is brand new and 'tight'.

Mike

128 i got on the 15/12/2009 when i was returning from buying the car in Walsall , driving back up the dreaded M6 doing anything between 5mph - 55mph, the tank was filled up to the brim though.

Yep, if it's brand new you will get less. I can get the same mpg figures at 25000 miles now driving it normally against driving like a saint at 3000 miles. It's a very good engine to be honest although the gearbox gearing lets it down, they have tried to eek out some massive figure, 62mpg?, on some artificial test, rather than gear it for normal use which would mean you would be in 5th rather than 4th.

Top speed of Aygo = 96mph. Max speed in 4th is about 120mph ... then change up for top :rolleyes: 145mph you can do in 5th, anyone done it yet? My maximum on the clock is 114mph ( in Germany ;) ) and that was in 4th down a hill. Crazy.

You have to say that the engine of the Aygo is the shining star. Sounds great, is reliable and can go up to twice the power with no mods to it, as the supercharged engines show. Of course Daihatsu have been going for donkeys years with the 3 pot motor, who could forget the Charade GTti turbo

3108490002_large.jpg

while other GTI's were getting bigger this came along and was smaller and more fun. Remind you of anything 20 years later? They really do need to make an Aygo GT.

Andy

Hi Jimmy, welcome to the Aygo clan.

Just a warning not to rely on getting 85 miles out of the last bar (after the beep). When you hear the beep I would advise getting it fuelled up within 40 or so miles.

Enjoy your Aygo!

I'm sure we;re getting circa 85-odd miles before the 'loss' of the first bar of fuel. Been pretty consistent since we bought it and it has seen around 90% short-town-only driving though.

I always get 100+ miles before the first bar goes out but I

always fill the fuel tank to the neck so that I can accurately

monitor my fuel consumption.

But don't forget, the bars are NOT equal segments of the fuel tank. :unsure:

I don't know what i'm doing wrong, but i could only ever get about 60/65 out of mine on a major economy run, that said i'm only getting 320 miles to a tank at the moment.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong, but i could only ever get about 60/65 out of mine on a major economy run, that said i'm only getting 320 miles to a tank at the moment.

That's strange. :unsure:

I get more than 320 miles per tank with many stop/start short runs.

Are you using 5th gear at every opportunity ?

User highest gear possible with the engine struggling as much as possible.

The most i have got out of a tank ever after being crazily careful for a full tank was just under 50 UK MPG.

Careful acceleration, avoided hills (live in a really hilly area) as much as possible and used higher gears as stated above.

What am i missing?

:S

When do you use 5th gear apart from motorway and NSL roads and what speed can you use 5th gear i find little hills in 4th my Aygo struggles to keep to 30mph please explain im interested

When do you use 5th gear apart from motorway and NSL roads and what speed can you use 5th gear i find little hills in 4th my Aygo struggles to keep to 30mph please explain im interested

I always use 5th gear at 30 mph on a level or downhill road. :rolleyes:

Obviously I need to gear down if my 30 mph momentum cannot be retained

without labouring the engine, sometimes down to 2nd gear.

And at walking pace, or when stopped, I always slip into 1st gear otherwise the clutch

will soon burn out. Expensive. :angry:

...and I always remember that my Aygo only has 1000cc - it's not Formula One.

I bought it for economy and reliability - not performance. :unsure:

I always use 5th gear at 30 mph on a level or downhill road. :rolleyes:

Obviously I need to gear down if my 30 mph momentum cannot be retained

without labouring the engine, sometimes down to 2nd gear.

And at walking pace, or when stopped, I always slip into 1st gear otherwise the clutch

will soon burn out. Expensive. :angry:

...and I always remember that my Aygo only has 1000cc - it's not Formula One.

I bought it for economy and reliability - not performance. :unsure:

Hey man i tried driving in 5th as much as possible i just scared to death incase i shift in to reverse while moving foreward would rather not break the transmission, anyway seems to pull well and easy to get into my lower gears just by flicking it to the centre i will continue using 5th at every available opportunity and see what kind of fuel return i get anyway ill keep you updated thanks for the advice :D

• 3 weeks later...

My record was last "summer" @~13k.... 139 miles.

2 Up very light traffic and sticking to speed limits, no overtaking ect... driving to kings lynn and part way back.

Amazing really because i have 15" alloys with 195/45 tyres.

The worst ever was commuting to work in last febuarys snow...75 miles.

When i fill up, i go to the first cut-off and then round up to the pound.

• 4 weeks later...

Had my 20k service done at my mates garage (ex Toyota mechanic) on the 19th Feb, and for an extra £20 he added Sol-X advanced petrol treatment and Sol-X advanced motor flush as he swears by them both. Anyway filled my car up and had to go to Manchester and back , mostly motorway driving at 60mph but was surprised to get 137 miles to the 1st bar, i think that's good going especially as its still winter....Colin

More information look at http://www.solxsolutions.com/

• 3 months later...

I did 300 miles on half a tank and most of them were on the first bar, couldn't tell you how many though.

Hi, I have been averaging 85 to 90 on the first bar,depending on weather, but recently went from putting Tesco fuel in to Esso and straight away got 100 miles, Not quite sure if its the warmer weather though. was warm weather when using Tesco fuel so could be Esso.

just had a long run to York and back and got 128 miles on first bar. the first bar is not set in stone as to the quantity of fuel for the bar, some members have regularly been getting over 100 on first bar.

regards

jono

just over 110miles, not sure how i did it, but cud i do ih again, nt bad for a new motor lol

I've just got 100 out of mine and it's only just over a week old. Plus i've had air con running all the time.