Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Front Seat

Geriatric

I want to take out the front seat in order to make a better fit of a seatcover. I am having trouble disconnecting the green connector underneath the seat as I can not see how it pulls apart. The small white connector was OK to separate.

Also how does the fixing of the black cable to the seat come off.

Help appreciated

The green connector is for the airbag, so make sure to disconnect the Battery

and let the car sit for AT LEAST 90 seconds before trying to disconnect...

I had trouble unlocking it too when I was mounting my subwoofer,

so I ended up leaving it connected and tilting the seat backwards...

Did you look in the AIM for mounting seat heaters? I think that describes it too...

Thanks I had not disconnected Battery but will do so when I try again. It looks as if the top insert disconnects but with the limited access it is difficult to see what you have to press in order to pull out the connector. It could be a small blade down the side would push a retainer piece in but I would rather tackle it knowing how it is retained.

To get the seat out would make life so much easier

There's quite a bit of slack on the wires, so you can undo the bolts and tilt the seat backwards to gain better access...

I think I read somewhere that you have to pull a tab UP from the connector and then slide it out.

And the strain relief is clipped into the metal with a simple barb-like plastic thingie.

It may come off by just pulling, but you can also help it with some needle nose pliers.

If I could only find the site where I read this... <_<

Glad to see you got it all off!

Seatcover looks pretty decent too!

Very nice seat covers but i do hope they are compatible with your airbags in your seat, a lot of people don't realise and put seat covers in and forget they have airbags in there seat and cover them up :eek:

Very nice seat covers but i do hope they are compatible with your airbags in your seat, a lot of people don't realise and put seat covers in and forget they have airbags in there seat and cover them up :eek:

Very true.

I believe you can get seat covers that are meant to be compatible with side airbags-think I saw them on eBay.

Seat covers that are airbag compatible use special stitching that will split apart if an airbag is activated. Some covers have this on one side only and have to be put on the correct way, while others have the special stitching on both sides.

Seat covers that are airbag compatible use special stitching that will split apart if an airbag is activated. Some covers have this on one side only and have to be put on the correct way, while others have the special stitching on both sides.

Yes both sides are split and sewn up with thin thread so should be OK.

The green connector is for the airbag, so make sure to disconnect the battery

Did you look in the AIM for mounting seat heaters? I think that describes it too...

Last month I went to Toyota to change the seat frame for the passenger seat and they did not disconnected the Battery at all! I told them to do so and they said that this is not nessecary, just do not turn the ignition on before connecting the connector back again.

So what is the meaning of disconnecting the thing? :unsure:

• 5 years later...

The green connector is for the airbag, so make sure to disconnect the battery

Last month I went to Toyota to change the seat frame for the passenger seat and they did not disconnected the Battery at all! I told them to do so and they said that this is not nessecary, just do not turn the ignition on before connecting the connector back again.

So what is the meaning of disconnecting the thing? unsure.gif

I want to remove the front seat so I can get a big mirror in. Does this mean I cannot drive it without the front seat?

[attachment=6304:Connector_Finally cracked it. I thought in removing only the seat there was less chance of damaging something rather than removing with the rails. Photos show poition of where to insert screwdriver to remove the connector.

I would not have been able to achieve such a good fit of the seatcovers without taking out the seats.

The piping matches the electric blue colour of the car.

attachicon.gifConnector_a.jpg

attachicon.gifSeat_a.jpg

attachicon.gifConnector_1.jpg

Thanks this is very handy. I have ben able to disconnect the green bit but the black bit is still a mystery. Where exactly does the small screwdriver go ? Presumably it acts like a cable tie and unwinds

• 6 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/22/2015 at 5:36 PM, Littledean said:

I want to remove the front seat so I can get a big mirror in. Does this mean I cannot drive it without the front seat?

I'd need to remove the front-left seat to fit a piece of furniture. Can I drive without reconnecting the wires back?

Thanks

• Like 1

If it helps to anyone: 

I've just spoken with the Service team at Toyota, and they confirmed the front-left seat CAN be removed and drive without it 

BUT: remember disconnecting the Battery before disconnecting the ABS underneath the seat. That's all. Then a warning light will turn on while you drive without the seat, but It'll will go away as soon as you connect the abs cable underneath the seat back on.

Battery has to be disconnected both times, before disconnecting the abs underneath the seat, and also again later before reconnecting the abs back on.

In a way, it's so the abs doesn't triggers a change and activates the abs, if it makes sense.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

• Like 1

Interesting, that's a question Ive been meaning to ask

What if you want the seat out indefinitely ? will the light earn not to come on ?