Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Broken Bonnet Release Wire

yaris owner 1

Hi

First post - I have joined after lurking for a while - I need some help please!

I have an 04 Yaris. I pulled the lever to release the bonnet catch and heard a slightly different sound to usual (more of a 'ping' than a 'clunk'.)

My guess is that the cable has either broken or come away from the bonnet catch.

I have checked behind the lever under the dash - cable still there and connected to the level but no tension.

I need to release the bonnet somehow.

I have contacted the dealer - cannot tell me how (health and safety) - suggested their website. My local garage hasn't done one before.

My guess is that the catch is accessed through the plastic grill under the front of the bonnet - maybe after removing the grill?

Does anyone know how to release the bonnet please?

please PM me if you don't want to post a message on here.

very many thanks

Chris

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've been out and had a look at my 2008 model, but it won't be quite the same and maybe someone else can offer more help...

Looking at mine, there's no way you can get to the release mechanism through the front of the car - its all shielded behind the metal crossmembers and there are no gaps in the metalwork anywhere near...

To release mine, you'd have to put the car up on garage ramps and use a 3 or 4-foot metal rod (about 5-6mm diameter) to reach up into the inside of the lock from below and lever the release catch to one side.I think even with axle stands, you'd struggle to get the bar up into the engine bay from below, although you might after a struggle.

I suppose you might be lucky and manage it with a long scredriver if you could get your whole arm up there too, but then your arm would block the view and you'd struggle to see what you were doing...

If I were you, I'd find a mk1 Yaris and get a good look under the bonnet yourself to familiarise you with where the cable release lever is inside the lock and how you'd get at it from below. Perhaps a neighbour or go to your Toyota garage and ask them to let you look under the bonnet of a used one on the car lot...

Looking inside the bonnet from above...

With my finger I could feel the pull bar inside the lock from below it and could get a good idea of what I'd need to do to lever it open with a bar....

Good luck - it looks a devil of a job....

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've been out and had a look at my 2008 model, but it won't be quite the same and maybe someone else can offer more help...

Looking at mine, there's no way you can get to the release mechanism through the front of the car - its all shielded behind the metal crossmembers and there are no gaps in the metalwork anywhere near...

To release mine, you'd have to put the car up on garage ramps and use a 3 or 4-foot metal rod (about 5-6mm diameter) to reach up into the inside of the lock from below and lever the release catch to one side.I think even with axle stands, you'd struggle to get the bar up into the engine bay from below, although you might after a struggle.

I suppose you might be lucky and manage it with a long scredriver if you could get your whole arm up there too, but then your arm would block the view and you'd struggle to see what you were doing...

If I were you, I'd find a mk1 Yaris and get a good look under the bonnet yourself to familiarise you with where the cable release lever is inside the lock and how you'd get at it from below. Perhaps a neighbour or go to your Toyota garage and ask them to let you look under the bonnet of a used one on the car lot...

Looking inside the bonnet from above...

With my finger I could feel the pull bar inside the lock from below it and could get a good idea of what I'd need to do to lever it open with a bar....

Good luck - it looks a devil of a job....

thanks

I am hoping that my Mark 1 Yaris is a bit easier to access because the plastic grill has small holes in it

I have asked around to try to find someone with a similar car - no luck so far.

thanks again

any more suggestions welcomed

Chris

my plastic grill has holes in it too, but the radiator fills the gap right up to the solid metal crossmember that the lock is mounted on the back of, so there is no way to get to the lock from the front....

I suspect the Mk1 is the same, but hopefully someone will confirm to the contrary.....

my plastic grill has holes in it too, but the radiator fills the gap right up to the solid metal crossmember that the lock is mounted on the back of, so there is no way to get to the lock from the front....

I suspect the Mk1 is the same, but hopefully someone will confirm to the contrary.....

Any more suggestions would be appreciated please

Could anyone please post a photo of the locking mechanism from above and also from the grill perhaps - thanks?

Try unlocking it from underneath the front of the car.

Lie under the front, shine a torch upwards and see if the lock mechanism is within reach, if so maybe use some wire with a hook on one end, ie an old coat hanger to clip it over and unlock it.

There must surely be a way to do it, it's happened before on the Yaris.

Could anyone please post a photo of the locking mechanism from above and also from the grill perhaps - thanks?

Attached...My 2004 Yaris..

post-22688-1264071065_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1264071097_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1264071116_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1264071139_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1264071312_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1264071330_thumb.jpg

post-22688-1264071350_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to everyone who helped with the bonnet release problem.

I was able to open the bonnet using the advice given on here

The cable was not broken, nor had it come undone.

In fact, had I undone the handle end and tugged it more strongly it would have probably unlocked (I didn't do this as I didn't want to risk pulling the cable back through the outer casing - if the end had come away under the bonnet).

When the bonnet was open it was clear that the handle was not moving the cable sufficiently to trigger the release of the catch under the bonnet

the only cause that I can see for it failing to unlock is a combination of:

stiff mechanism (now oiled) and a stretched cable

I have bent the catch release lever away slightly to extend the length of the cable a bit - to tighten it.

an alternative would have been to put a wrap of wire or a split washer behind the nob on the end of the cable (either end) to achieve the same result I guess

moral of the story is to ensure that the mechanism is well oiled - I think

all now works.

thanks again

• 1 month later...

I have same problem only mine is a 1999 toyota yaris, does anyone have any pics of the bonnet locking mechanism or indeed any advice

• 8 years later...
On 1/30/2010 at 11:23 AM, yaris owner 1 said:

thanks to everyone who helped with the bonnet release problem.

I was able to open the bonnet using the advice given on here

The cable was not broken, nor had it come undone.

In fact, had I undone the handle end and tugged it more strongly it would have probably unlocked (I didn't do this as I didn't want to risk pulling the cable back through the outer casing - if the end had come away under the bonnet).

When the bonnet was open it was clear that the handle was not moving the cable sufficiently to trigger the release of the catch under the bonnet

the only cause that I can see for it failing to unlock is a combination of:

stiff mechanism (now oiled) and a stretched cable

I have bent the catch release lever away slightly to extend the length of the cable a bit - to tighten it.

an alternative would have been to put a wrap of wire or a split washer behind the nob on the end of the cable (either end) to achieve the same result I guess

moral of the story is to ensure that the mechanism is well oiled - I think

all now works.

thanks again

I know this is an old thread, but do you still remember how you solved the problem?  Was it getting under the car and activating the mechanism with some wire?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I too have had the same problem. Following the advice you have given, I have got round it.  I used a pair of pliers to grab the cable at the dashboard end and pulled very hard.  Having opened the bonnet, a thorough dose of oil applied to the catch mechanism has solved the problem.  Many thanks to the contributors above. 

• 10 months later...

Does anyone how to get it open if the wire is fully of the mechanism? I have gotten to the mechanism and pulled the lever but nothing happened, if someone knows something that would be greatly appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links