Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Squeaks......

Big_Dan

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else got the squeaks coming from their rear when you pull away when the car is cold? it's not a constant squeak, and slows down when i slow down, so i can only assume it's got something to do with the wheels or something connected. Nothing is noticably wrong, and once it's warmed up they go, just starting to drive me crazy!!

Any help is always appreciated.

ALSO............. I'm thinking about swapping the front seats for something with more side supports, as i do drive some distances and the factory seats aren't exactly luxurious!. The obvious thought ar some reclining bucket seats, but has anyone tried to install these?? I don't fancy drilling and welding a universal subframe if i can help it, so if a set that fit with minimal ease are on the market, I'd be all ears...

Cheers guys

I had the same thing happen on mine. When getting in the car and driving from cold a squeak was coming from the rear, and stopped when braking.

Ended up taking it in to my Toyota dealer and they looked at it, couldn't find anything wrong, but they did re-grease the back of the rear pads and it hasn't done it since.

Hope this helps.

Yes this has happened to me. I took it to Toyota in Swindon, who said it was a fault in the handbrake cable. Basically one side is a different length thean the other so it doesn't release the handbrake correctly. When I took mine in just before Christmas, they said it was the first time Toyota had heard of the problem on any IQ anywhere, so were going to investigate a solution. I still havent heard back, so thanks for the reminder, I shall give them a call right now. :thumbsup:

Cheers guys for all your feedback.

At least I've got some idea of what to say the problem could be now, I was going to feel stupid calling them up and saying 'I have a squeaky car'!!!.

Cheers again.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has the same problem! I was really wondering what it was and was a bit afraid, so thanks for the lead.

I'll bring it to my Toyota dealer so that they take a look

• 1 month later...

Hi There

My IQ2 has the same issue - squeaks from cold. It was in the garage for nearly 2 weeks for investigation and I got it back last Friday - squeak as well !

I'll be phoning them to book it in again - I thought people were admiring my lovely car....but I think it is the noise which is drawing attention.

I even have the problem on a longish drive.

Fotini

Hi There

My IQ2 has the same issue - squeaks from cold. It was in the garage for nearly 2 weeks for investigation and I got it back last Friday - squeak as well !

I'll be phoning them to book it in again - I thought people were admiring my lovely car....but I think it is the noise which is drawing attention.

I even have the problem on a longish drive.

Fotini

Hey Fotini

The official diagnosis from Toyota I got was a build up of brake dust between the pad and disc..... they cleaned it, but told me if started again best fix would be too..... wait for it......... find a quiet stretch of road then slam the brakes on to clear it!!!

Hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! Have same squeak on my IQ, taking it to garage today so will let you know what they say it is once I find out

• 4 weeks later...

yes, i've got the squeaks as well. has anyone resolved this annoying problem. does it go away after a while or is it worth popping it into the garage. in the meantime i find that when the sqeaks start an ever so gentle pressing of the brake pedal seems to reduce the noise before it disappears when speed picks up.

• 1 year later...

I've also got a squeak from the rear hub. It's as people have already posted from starting up for the first 5 mins or so. It's been to the garage 5 or 6 times and each time I get the car back complete with squeak. Has anyone had this problem resolved? My car is coming up to two years old and still squeaks. It seems totally unacceptible. Last time I contacted the garage I was told, 'well it doesn't affect the breaking and there is nothing they can do about it.' I don't find this acceptible. Faulty goods should either be replaced or repaired!

Do potential IQ purchasers know of this problem?

Clare

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else got the squeaks coming from their rear when you pull away when the car is cold? it's not a constant squeak, and slows down when i slow down, so i can only assume it's got something to do with the wheels or something connected. Nothing is noticably wrong, and once it's warmed up they go, just starting to drive me crazy!!

ALSO............. I'm thinking about swapping the front seats for something with more side supports, as i do drive some distances and the factory seats aren't exactly luxurious!. The obvious thought ar some reclining bucket seats, but has anyone tried to install these?? I don't fancy drilling and welding a universal subframe if i can help it, so if a set that fit with minimal ease are on the market, I'd be all ears...

Cheers guys

What you going to do with patching out the airbags ? and the seat belt siren Dan

No squeaks yet mate

David

Hi Guys,

Cheers guys

What you going to do with patching out the airbags ? and the seat belt siren Dan

No squeaks yet mate

David

Minor details David haha. I definitely need to see your handy work in the flesh too as ans when you are free.

SInce I posted this, I've actually swapped for an iQ2, with the height adjustable lever, and dropping the seat down has made all the difference comfort wise - plus saves whacking my head when I go over the Gallows corner flyover everyday!!

With regards the squeaks, I think I put on a previous post - the official line from my local dealer was 'when it's quiet, go up a slip road, and slam the breaks on, this will clear the break dust build up which has formed'!! you can't make this stuff up sometimes.

Not sure exactly what actual parts are sqeaking in the handbrake area. It maybe that good old copperslip might be useful. Just a matter of identifying the 2 surfaces.

Dan we were going to meet up somewhere near gallows but just didnt get round to it. Can meet you anytime next week. Preferably in the morning on your journey but evening may be possible Tues and Thurs. Maybe at B&Q or Tesco at gallows corner. Or some street on route. No probs

David

Not sure exactly what actual parts are sqeaking in the handbrake area. It maybe that good old copperslip might be useful. Just a matter of identifying the 2 surfaces.

Dan we were going to meet up somewhere near gallows but just didnt get round to it. Can meet you anytime next week. Preferably in the morning on your journey but evening may be possible Tues and Thurs. Maybe at B&Q or Tesco at gallows corner. Or some street on route. No probs

David

Sorry David I only just saw this - Friday morning if your about at stupid o'clock I'm about, if not I'm actually coming past Gallows corner area on route to Prokit which is off A12 on saturday, if your about then.

Dan

David

What sort of time Saturday Dan

David

Sorry David I only just saw this - Friday morning if your about at stupid o'clock I'm about, if not I'm actually coming past Gallows corner area on route to Prokit which is off A12 on saturday, if your about then.

Dan

David

What sort of time Saturday Dan

David

Dan

I would say around midday.

Dan

• 2 years later...

I have this problem as well.

I have had my IQ for 12 months and the dealer will not do anything, initially claiming they could not even reproduce the fault.

Has anyone got an update ?

How strange, Mine does this too and I was just thinking of looking into it.

It's the brakes on my car, you can stop the squeaking by lightly applying the foot or handbrake. Mine only does it for a minute or so then stops.

I was going to take the brake pads out, give them a clean, clean any ridge off the outside of the disc, copper grease the back of the pads and reassemble. Should sort it out.

Craig.

• Like 1

Craig,

I have had a massive row with the dealer about this.

I am having a meeting on Monday with the local Dealer Principal where I bought it from.

Will post the outcome.

I had the same idea as you, trouble is I bought my IQ so I didn't have to get my hands dirty plus its under warranty still.

I suspect its more complicated though as my squeak goes with a touch of the brake but will resume again sometimes.

Karl.

• Like 2

I would say Craig's solution to this is the normal one for squeaking noises that disappear when the brake pedal is pressed and then come back some time later.

IQ1 and 2s with rear discs are more likely to have the problem, I believe IQ3s have rear drums, at least the early ones did, so that solution would only be applicable to the front brakes.

John

• Like 1

Discs all round on my car John, That/s a 2010 iQ3. I think all the UK iQ's are disc brakes thinking about it, I've never seen a drum braked one? We seem to get alloy wheels as standard here too whereas some countries get steels with hubcaps.

Craig.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction Craig, I must be thinking about the American ones which I believe have drums at the rear, for some reason.( or so I have read...)

John

• Like 1