Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Squeaks......

Big_Dan

My friend has been fixing cars at the highest level for 40 years, he recons its the new pads that are now asbestos free thats the problem.

Its a problem for many cars and manufactureres.

He thinks the copper grease trick is all that is needed and to check the pads and disks for wear / damage.

When my warranty runs out and the pads need replacing I might look at changing the brand to something more highly regarded.

Karl.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember the American Scion iQ's having drums as well. There was that chap here that customised his car somewhat and that started out with steel wheels and has drum brakes. I think I remember him looking at importing a rear axle from a scrap UK car so he could replace them on his.

I once bought a set of genuine Land Rover brake pads for my Range Rover and I've no idea what they were made of but they were so hard they simply glazed over, squealed like anything and really didn't slow you down at all! I then fitted a set of EBC green pads and that was so much better. Not sure if EBC do pads for the iQ though, worth a look.

Craig.

• Like 1

Well, According to this site EBC do make pads for the iQ.

http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/

They do them in Ultimax which is their pretty standard spec replacement pads and the greenstuff pads which are slightly higher performance. They do make less dust too, a very useful feature.
Same pads for 1.0 and 1.33 models and they seem to cover all years.

Might get a set I think when they get the front ones back in stock.

Craig.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

FIXED !

In January I insisted that the dealer cleaned the brakes and applied copper grease.

No problems since, thats 4 months.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1