Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Using Bp Ultmate Unleaded

viper262

As the title suggests i am going to try it on my next fill up more expensive but hopefully should return me with better mileage what do other Aygo drivers think. has anyone used BP Ultimate Unleaded anyone with any helpful information welcome to post :D

You think i should run the car till its nearly empty to let the Ultimate take hold or should i just fill it at the 5 litre beep?

You think i should run the car till its nearly empty to let the Ultimate take hold or should i just fill it at the 5 litre beep?

Id wait till you are more or less empty so you don't mix.

get a true reading then.

Please you might get less at the moment with it being so cold.

I am sceptical of these "ultimate" fuels.

If you take an engine - like the aygo engine...it is designed to run at a certain compression ratio...this ratio can be found in your handbook.

If you read about octane ratings, it relates to how easily the fuel will combust under compression.

To get more power from an engine, it needs to have more compression, but you need a fuel that can take the higher compression without exploding too early (in the piston cycle).

So an engine in a Ferrari for example will have an engine with a much higher compression ratio than an aygo engine. Therefore it needs higher octane fuel to run, as normal fuel would self-ignite before the piston reaches the correct point in its cycle.

If you put higher octane fuel in the aygo engine...it won’t make any real difference because the engine is still running at the same compression ratio.

Toyota recommends a certain octane level - I think it’s 95. The engine was designed to run on fuel with this ignition characteristic. If you put petrol in with a lower octane, the engine could back fire or not run at all.

People have associated this octane rating with "power" and better performance...when really it’s just another grade of the same stuff.

My only thoughts are - if the "ultimate" fuel is more refined than normal fuel then that might help...but then you have to ask, why is BP selling poorer quality fuel just because the octane rating is different?

In summary...I think there might be a very slight improvement, but it would be so small that it would not be noticeable in the average car, and that most improvements are placebo based. "The fuel costs more so it must be better"

I am sceptical of these "ultimate" fuels.

If you take an engine - like the aygo engine...it is designed to run at a certain compression ratio...this ratio can be found in your handbook.

If you read about octane ratings, it relates to how easily the fuel will combust under compression.

To get more power from an engine, it needs to have more compression, but you need a fuel that can take the higher compression without exploding too early (in the piston cycle).

So an engine in a Ferrari for example will have an engine with a much higher compression ratio than an aygo engine. Therefore it needs higher octane fuel to run, as normal fuel would self-ignite before the piston reaches the correct point in its cycle.

If you put higher octane fuel in the aygo engine...it won’t make any real difference because the engine is still running at the same compression ratio.

Totally agree with you! That is the truth, either we like it or not.

In my opinion it makes no difference and yes I have used higher octane fuels and no real difference at all. Normal fuel is the best option for Aygos. ;)

I have used it occasionally but don't notice any difference, on the road or on the track.

Compare it to removing the back seats, spare tyre and toolkit, which is a difference you will feel :D

Paul.

Yes power to weight ratio is key. followed by aerodynamics, friction & drag.

If your looking to improve mpg,

You need keep the extra weight down, keep tyres inflated, maintain the car well, oil changes etc. and most importantly, driving style!

Toyota recommends a certain octane level - I think it’s 95. The engine was designed to run on fuel with this ignition characteristic. If you put petrol in with a lower octane, the engine could back fire or not run at all.

I've actually found that my fuel consumption on these fuels was worse than when I use "cooking" petrol. This could be because I was tempted to drive faster and therefore didn't get the benefit of the higher octane rating.

Any comparisons that I have seen between 95 RON and higher stuff on rolling roads and dyno readouts are usually done with BMW M3s and the like.

Another myth about BP Ultimate, Optimax etc is that they contain "more energy". This simply isn't true for the reasons that Toyboata mentions. I still think it would be funny if Tesco called their higher octane petrol Tesco's Finest.

These fuels have been tested in the motoring press, IIRC the following happens:

Normal car - Nothing

Golf GTI - 1 BHP MPG No MPG change

Jap Import 300 BHP Impreza +15 BHP but they are supposed run on 98 Octane! No MPG change

Diesels have more power and a bit more MPG.

Any comparisons that I have seen between 95 RON and higher stuff on rolling roads and dyno readouts are usually done with BMW M3s and the like.

Another myth about BP Ultimate, Optimax etc is that they contain "more energy". This simply isn't true for the reasons that Toyboata mentions. I still think it would be funny if Tesco called their higher octane petrol Tesco's Finest.

Tesco's Finest :lol: - I'm surprised they havnt already tried to cash in on something like that!

These fuels have been tested in the motoring press, IIRC the following happens:

Normal car - Nothing

Golf GTI - 1 BHP MPG No MPG change

Jap Import 300 BHP Impreza +15 BHP but they are supposed run on 98 Octane! No MPG change

Diesels have more power and a bit more MPG.

The tests that prove the theory. Your only gonna notice the difference if you happen to drive a buggati veyron ;)

BP Ultimate have done long range fleet tests both on petrol and diesel cars and trucks. Fleet owners seem to have come to the opinion that there was little or no difference in either performance or mpg but they did admit it was a cleaner burning fuel leaving less carbon deposits especially on diesels. So appears there may be slight long term benefits particularly on commercial engines expected to do 500,000 miles plus before overhaul. But I have yet to hear of a fleet company opting for its use.

Personally I am of the opinion it's another "green issue" selling tactic.:)

Yeah If the fuel is higher quality, then it may leave slightly less deposits, however the extra cost of the fuel must outweigh these minor benefits for the average motorist.

I have tried these fuels myself a few years ago and could not see/hear or feel any real difference. Also, real world driving is so varied it would be hard to compare the two fuels in a fair manner, especially mpg as this varies from tank to tank anyway depending on type & style of driving and weather conditions.

I just fill up with Morrison’s regular unleaded...collecting miles points...another £3000 of petrol and i might get my £5 store voucher LOL

hmmm ok i guess its not that beneficial ohhh well back to regular 95 im on 2 bars of fuel will need to fill up soon think i filled up the 8th of December

I used these 'super' fuels back in the late 90's in Australia in a Subaru Legacy. It was more expensive than normal petrol but I definitely got better mileage. BUT aussie petrol is crap so that is probably the reason. I have used these fuels here in a number of cars over the years and the difference is negligible. Definitely not worth the premium in price.

Steve

I've tried Tesco super for about 3 tanks and it makes the car somewhat smoother. Someone else also noticed this, however considering it is about 5 to 10% more expensive probably not worth it. I might revisit it again soon though now I have got the GPS installed so I can do some acceleration measurements. Problem is of course conditions change as well so I will have to do multiple runs and take averages.

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links