Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Pump / Air Injection System

nutznutz

All three light were on my dash took it to Toyota yet again, they say the air pump is starting to fail which is apparently blowing the 50amp fuse.

can anyone help me, as toyota say its going to cost £800 to replace however it is still working again weather the lights will come back on it seems a mystery.

Can anyone help or show me what the air pump looks like, i have been able to source a part my self at a fraction of the cost toyota quoted me.

Many Thanks

Adam

All three light were on my dash took it to Toyota yet again, they say the air pump is starting to fail which is apparently blowing the 50amp fuse.

can anyone help me, as toyota say its going to cost £800 to replace however it is still working again weather the lights will come back on it seems a mystery.

Can anyone help or show me what the air pump looks like, i have been able to source a part my self at a fraction of the cost toyota quoted me.

Many Thanks

Adam

hi mate

when you state (air pump)--- whether the unit you're refer is an electrically driven air compressor (fan) or what?

There are three types of air blowing coppressors (air pumps): waste gas driven; mechanically driven by gears from crankshaft gear; electrically driven.

Please make clear what is belong to yr engine?

Cheers/Igor

Have a search on this, Hogie posted some useful info on it last year.

Many Thanks

Adam

hi mate

when you state (air pump)--- whether the unit you're refer is an electrically driven air compressor (fan) or what?

There are three types of air blowing coppressors (air pumps): waste gas driven; mechanically driven by gears from crankshaft gear; electrically driven.

Please make clear what is belong to yr engine?

Cheers/Igor

Thanks for the the repy they said its under the pasanger wheel arch an something to do with gases on the cold start or sumthing, they wasnt very clear tbh, but they said the pump was starting to fail they also refered to it as the air injection system.

Its located behind the N/S/F inner wheel arch liner.

Its main function is to dilute (with air) the exhaust gases on the over-rich cold start cycle, which helps to lower the emissions and give the 'cat' an easier time to

heat up to temperature.

I have seen a couple of T Sport's with a corroded air pump connector (because of its location), causing a high resistance and blowing the 50A fuse - might be worth checking your connector before paying out for a new pump or one from the breakers.

Early T Sports suffered from the headlights going dim for a couple of seconds when the ECU activated the Air Pump while driving the car, and this was corrected on the later one's by altering the map in the ECU.

Hope this helps,

Mick

Its located behind the N/S/F inner wheel arch liner.

Its main function is to dilute (with air) the exhaust gases on the over-rich cold start cycle, which helps to lower the emissions and give the 'cat' an easier time to

heat up to temperature.

I have seen a couple of T Sport's with a corroded air pump connector (because of its location), causing a high resistance and blowing the 50A fuse - might be worth checking your connector before paying out for a new pump or one from the breakers.

Early T Sports suffered from the headlights going dim for a couple of seconds when the ECU activated the Air Pump while driving the car, and this was corrected on the later one's by altering the map in the ECU.

Hope this helps,

Mick

Mick,

many thanks for your help, have found the part got a pic of what it looks like, dont supose ya no if its easy to remove i.e there are no pressure pipes attached? etc

Adam

• 9 months later...

Today I had the same problem.

When I started my car this morning the TRC OFF, VSC and engine lights where on.

Later on I checked the fuse box and the 50A air pump fuse had blown.

I hope it is only the fuse, but will it harm the car to drive it a couple of days until I get the fuse?

anyone who has this problem let me know i have a spare pump available for the CTS, it was listed in the for sale section a good while back.

OK

Today, the warning lights were gone, and everything seems normal.

Fuse is still blown though.

Will try a new fuse tomorrow

If you do need one you can use the pump for a Celica as well. I can verify its exactly the same as per my mornings work. It will give youmore scope if you are looking for a second hand one. :thumbsup:

Changed the fuse. everythings seems normal.........other than I hav enow noticed the headlights( short beam) are flicking/dimming ramdomly once in a while. Some people on this forum have apaprantly reported this before.

I read that some said it is an ECU problem, but for this type of electrical behaviour my suspecion is probably more like a poor ground/earth connection somewhere in the system. Bad earth connection can seriously make the electronics go la la! and it is a !Removed! to find!

How long has your car been like this?

I have noticed that the headlight flicker is mainly when cold and seem related to something cutting in and out. As the airpump( where the fuse was blown), has a 50A fuse that equates to 600W( 50A x 12V) which is a huge amount in one go, so could it be related to airpump switching on/off?

Im having this very same problem went to a mechanic today and got the car plugged in error code B0140 come up and its that air pump thing aswell he said when i start the car from cold go to the passanger side front just above the fog light witch is where this thing is located an listen out to hear if the motor is running, or even unplug the connector and check there is power going to the pump with the use of a multi meter or somethin like dat not really sure what any of this means but thats what he said to me..... hope it helps a bit, must check my 50amp fuse aswell hope that works, I also tried disconnect the Battery but lights only go away for a day or 2..

Checked my 50a fuse today and it was blown so replaced it and a few hours later lights back on and sure enough fuse blown again.... Whats next new pump??

quick question, i know that theres holes in the head for the air injection system, if i fitted a non air injection exhaust gasket to a manifold without air injection, this should help seal the holes shouldnt it? anybody done it? just theorising.

The air pump delivers the air to the exhaust manifold, but you could weld up the hole or block it somehow..

If the air pump is removed the cel light will stay on.

This is something i have thought of doing too.

light doesnt bother me, i can just knock it off being a car tech. just seing if anybody has any experience with removing it and runing on standard ecu rather than switching to the likes of apexi-pfc to delete the need.

and i swear the air is deliverd to the tube on top of the exhuast manifold, and then moved into the cylinder head and then into the exhuast ports. am i right anyone? havnt actually seen any in depth pictures yet.

Could be then but im only going on that the pipes goes into the exhaust manifold, with the CEL light on does it not bring on the vsc/trc light too?

yer, i can deal with that tho, i only really use my rolla for fun at the moment. it isnt really my DD. plus its more than likely going to be tracked next year.

Ahh i see now, i use mine for dd and it would annoy the <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s off me haha.

If it aint snowing i have a few bit im doing to my car and having a better look at the exhaust manifold.