Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 Vvtli Clutch Slip

SteveK374

Hi all, new to this forum, seems to be a wealth of info and experience here. Perhaps one of you could help. My 2001 VVTLi seems to have clutch slip but only in 5th or 6th gear. The slip is noticable when accelerating to overtake (for instance), lots of revs and little speed increase. I happened to mention this to a chap in the tyre bay and he advised me to take it back (to where I bought it from) as it has 3 months warranty. He also said I should be careful that they dont just 'bleed it out'.

Questions, is this a common problem on this model. Can it just be 'bled out' and how difficult is it to replace if its not covered by the warranty. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the same problem I had with mine. You put your foot down, the revs climb but no pick up in speed, then a second or two later the revs drop back to where they should be and you start to accelerate.

In my case I had the clutch changed. When I had a look at the old bearing it was in a pretty poor condition, the movement in it was quite stiff compared to the new one they put in. That was last summer and since then no probs.

My car is a year older than yours and had done about 130,000 miles at the time. Depending on how many miles yours has done it could just be wear and tear. If it's still inside the 3 months warranty the garage you got it from should really get it replaced.

Thanks for the reply, my car has 77k on the clock and the full service history does not show any clutch changes. I have it booked in with the dealer i bought it from so i guess I'll find out if its covered by the warranty. Love the car despite the initial issue.

Your clutch sounds like it has had a hard life by the previous owner and it needs replacing, if anyone can "bleed out" a worn clutch they are using magic wands and not tools ;) If I wanted to check for suspect clutches I would put it in a high gear, hold the revs up with the handbrake securely on and let it in, if it stalled then all was usually well, if it wanted to keep revving then the clutch was usually toast :( this is only a static test and something that shouldn't be done on a regular basis or for any length of time

As the clutch is classed as a consumable it would depend how long you have had it and whether the symptoms where apparent from the outset as to the supplier replacing it, they might try to argue that it was ok when sold.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Les

Your clutch sounds like it has had a hard life by the previous owner and it needs replacing, if anyone can "bleed out" a worn clutch they are using magic wands and not tools ;) If I wanted to check for suspect clutches I would put it in a high gear, hold the revs up with the handbrake securely on and let it in, if it stalled then all was usually well, if it wanted to keep revving then the clutch was usually toast :( this is only a static test and something that shouldn't be done on a regular basis or for any length of time

As the clutch is classed as a consumable it would depend how long you have had it and whether the symptoms where apparent from the outset as to the supplier replacing it, they might try to argue that it was ok when sold.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Les

Your last paragraph is what I am worried about. I bought the car 4th Jan and since then have only driven it in snow and ice to work and back(if at all!). It was only on a visit to the autosport show that I noticed the problem whilst attempting some 'spirited' driving. Thanks for the info and I will update as soon as I know.

Your last paragraph is what I am worried about. I bought the car 4th Jan and since then have only driven it in snow and ice to work and back(if at all!). It was only on a visit to the autosport show that I noticed the problem whilst attempting some 'spirited' driving. Thanks for the info and I will update as soon as I know.

You could mention that it was only recently you had the opportunity to appreciate the performance capabilities, with suitable traction conditions and the confidence to do so that the clutch slip became obvious ;)

You could mention that it was only recently you had the opportunity to appreciate the performance capabilities, with suitable traction conditions and the confidence to do so that the clutch slip became obvious ;)

Thanks for the replies,

Just picked the car up, after two days in a crappy Fiesta loan car. New clutch plate, cover and release bearing fitted to the Celica. What a difference, pedal is like a switch and gear changing is now much easier. I had marked the bell housing bolts with tippex just in case they tried some funny stuff but the garage supervisor was keen to show me the worn plate and the tippex has been chipped off. Thanks again for the replies and in return I will answer posts if I can.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links