Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Range Computer 2009 Xtr

sp 1967

hi just picked up ex demo 3 month old 2009 xtr 5000mls when tank full range only reads 370mls amg reads 40.7 the tank is 60 l or 13.2g so would expect range to be about 550.can anyone explain before dealer is contacted,2.2d4d what sort of milage can you expect out of full tank.

thank you for your time.

Welcome to the club.

Your RAV will do low 40s knocking around and high 40s on a trip. To start with don't read too much into that trip computer because it won't be that accurate. It does calculations based on current info and if that is buzzing around town it will predict early refils. If you set off on a long journey it will start to stretch that distance to fill up out.

You can improve things a little by zeroing the meter. Just press and hold the mode button while it shows the particular function you want to zero. Do them all and start again as it will show the fuel consumption from new when it was probably less fuel efficient and potential owners were "trying it"!

What do you think of it otherwise?

hi just picked up ex demo 3 month old 2009 xtr 5000mls when tank full range only reads 370mls amg reads 40.7 the tank is 60 l or 13.2g so would expect range to be about 550.can anyone explain before dealer is contacted,2.2d4d what sort of milage can you expect out of full tank.

thank you for your time.

Reset the computer by pushing and holding the LH button thingee on the spedo ( with ignition on ). Range depends on driving style/conditions but you should manage 40mpg on a reasonable run even at this time of year. BEWARE the ave. consumption figure - they tend to be pretty optimistic. With careful driving in good summer conditions you can get very close to the Toyota declared figure of ( from memory ) 50.4mpg. The readout will probably be reading 55/58 mpg though! Worth the effort to go through the manual and setup for the display etc.

Welcome to the club.

Your RAV will do low 40s knocking around and high 40s on a trip. To start with don't read too much into that trip computer because it won't be that accurate. It does calculations based on current info and if that is buzzing around town it will predict early refils. If you set off on a long journey it will start to stretch that distance to fill up out.

You can improve things a little by zeroing the meter. Just press and hold the mode button while it shows the particular function you want to zero. Do them all and start again as it will show the fuel consumption from new when it was probably less fuel efficient and potential owners were "trying it"!

It's still looking as though we have only one brain between us! :unsure: ( just like the "laws of physics" post ).

the cars fab all the toys previously had 53 xt3 tech come on in leaps and bounds in 5 years toyed with q5 but very expesive with all the kit seems to come as standed on new ravs thank you for yor time.

Welcome to the club.

It's still looking as though we have only one brain between us! :unsure: ( just like the "laws of physics" post ).

Well somebody said I'd be dangerous if I had half a brain!!! Can I have the other half back - I need it.

"Great minds"!!!.........

Funny this topic should come up now as I was about to post a similar enquiry. Over the first couple of hundred miles of my driving a 4.2 2.0 petrol, the ave MPG is indicated as being 40.8. Now I am a born optimist and I am taking it steadily while the car and I get to know eachother but I don't believe that for a moment. I brimmed the tank and reset via the left hand thingy and will brim the tank next time to give me an actual MPG figure but in the meantime:

A ) taken fairly sedately on country roads rather than around town what can I reasonably expect to get?

B ) looking ahead, what would I be likely to get cruising a French motorway at 80mph/130kph

C ) I assume from the responses already on this topic that any form of recalibration of the trip computer to make it more accurate is not on. yes/no?

Mike D

from a foggy Dartmoor

Welcome to the club.

Hi, I've got T180 4.3 (2006) DCAT. Mine does between 31-34 mpg (at least that's what it says on the screen). Would you say that's normal?

Hi, I've got T180 4.3 (2006) DCAT. Mine does between 31-34 mpg (at least that's what it says on the screen). Would you say that's normal?

Mine is showing around 36 mpg at the moment on the OBC . Which has dropped with the temp laterly . But dont pay much attention to the screen as it can be out By Maybe 5 mpg either up or down . So yours sounds normal mpg for that model .

Mick :thumbsup:

So far they all read high. They are only a guide and the range to empty will always be on the low side to stop you running out. I find the orange light to be fairly consistent. If you top up the tank when it comes on you can work out what is left and then just multiply it by 30 for a petrol or 40 for a diesel. I reckon 75 miles for mine.

I would expect a petrol that is good fettle to do high 30s on a run but drop to about 30 at 80mph.

T180s seem to be doing about 35-40 on a run but woefully less than that knocking around or at 80mph - possibly lucky to get 30

Mine (2.2 140) typically does around 40mpg knocking around but is in the upper 30s at the mo due to the weather. It easily does high 40s on a trip if I don't exceed 75mph and keep it in 6th gear.

So far they all read high. They are only a guide and the range to empty will always be on the low side to stop you running out. I find the orange light to be fairly consistent. If you top up the tank when it comes on you can work out what is left and then just multiply it by 30 for a petrol or 40 for a diesel. I reckon 75 miles for mine.

I would expect a petrol that is good fettle to do high 30s on a run but drop to about 30 at 80mph.

T180s seem to be doing about 35-40 on a run but woefully less than that knocking around or at 80mph - possibly lucky to get 30

Mine (2.2 140) typically does around 40mpg knocking around but is in the upper 30s at the mo due to the weather. It easily does high 40s on a trip if I don't exceed 75mph and keep it in 6th gear.

Mine has read low twice out of maybe 10 topups , saying around 37 mpg and on filling up it was 38.5 :wacko:

The rest of the time it seems to be around the same figure , my last 4.3 was around 3 - 5 mpg out always high like you say AM .

Maybe ive clicked the pump off to early when filling this one .

Brimmed the tank again tonight to satisfy my curiosity. 4.2 petrol XT3, 188.7 miles. 5.15 gallons = 36.6mpg. Routing consists of the very hilly A30 Okey bypass at 60 to 65mph, poor country A and B roads with some grotty Dartmoor lanes. Indicated on the trip thingy - 40.7. Bit optimistic then but the actual figure was better than I expected.

Are these figures as expected, good or bad?

Mike D

Brimmed the tank again tonight to satisfy my curiosity. 4.2 petrol XT3, 188.7 miles. 5.15 gallons = 36.6mpg. Routing consists of the very hilly A30 Okey bypass at 60 to 65mph, poor country A and B roads with some grotty Dartmoor lanes. Indicated on the trip thingy - 40.7. Bit optimistic then but the actual figure was better than I expected.

Are these figures as expected, good or bad?

Mike D

At 36.6 MPG in the current weather and in the area that you drive in, I'd have said that you had a pretty good understanding of driving the RAV economically. I'm betting that as spring comes your consumption will get better - maybe 40 MPG? Good luck anyway. Can't remember what fuel consumption Hoovie said he was getting, but he lives in a similar area so a comparison would be interesting.

36mpg sound really good to me, I usually average between 28mpg and 32mpg but this includes varying amounts or town work.

Some time I need to get smaller feet !!

When I first bought the 4.2 petrol I was expecting the fuel computer to be accurate and complained at the first service.

The engineer checked and there was a tech note that says the computer counts pulses from the engine incorrectly and over reads approx 10 - 15%.

Apparently it was not a fault but a feature or the computer :D

I'm 100% convinced that since the EGR / ECU "upgrade, my T180 has suffered "worserer" consumption and performance. It's been religiously run on V-power and the observations are based on commuting and long trips. I've had the car from new, so its not new toy syndrome... I'm going to try a couple of tanks of BP's optimax?

On a slightly different theme, in the snow, the average MPH o'meter has shown an increase for my commute, up from 17 mph to 28 mph. Bring back the snow!

I'm 100% convinced that since the EGR / ECU "upgrade, my T180 has suffered "worserer" consumption and performance. It's been religiously run on V-power and the observations are based on commuting and long trips. I've had the car from new, so its not new toy syndrome... I'm going to try a couple of tanks of BP's optimax?

On a slightly different theme, in the snow, the average MPH o'meter has shown an increase for my commute, up from 17 mph to 28 mph. Bring back the snow!

I think Lordy will be interested in these comments.

My 59 plate 2.2 XTR is doing high 30's,39 in fact with the current weather etc. Im off upto Scotland on Wednesday and the last time I went up, I got 49mpg outof it over 1460 miles.

Welcome to the club.

Mine does around 35/36 mpg around town but yesterday did 188 mile trip to N York Moors etc - Town, motorway, A , B & white roads - OBC read average 39.1 mpg - temp varied 2-5 degrees C. Better than I expected as I was not hanging about at times! Trip was reset before leaving home. Interestingly it was very misty - I recall from my early days that certainly petrol engines were more efficient when humidity is high as the air is more dense so maybe same should apply to diesel engines as MPG was better than I expected

Guy

I recall from my early days that certainly petrol engines were more efficient when humidity is high as the air is more dense so maybe same should apply to diesel engines as MPG was better than I expected

Guy

I used to have some dealings with a small outfit that race tuned outboard motors. They used to like moisture laden air as they claimed that water droplets are less compressible than air so, to what point I don't know, "wet air" gives a higher compression ratio than dry air. Do I remember that some WWII aircraft piston engines had water injection to give a temporary bit of extra power? I wasn't (quite) around at the time, you see.

Mike D

Yes - I believe it was Perkins that concluded diesels give higher output with moisture rich air.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links