Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Difference Between A/c And Auto

smo59

I've just bought my 2nd Corolla, and it's a Colour Collection that comes with A/C and Auto buttons.

From what I can gather, the Auto button is used to automatically set the best fan settings to match the temperature that I have selected.

I had always thought that this was what A/C was for.

So what's the difference between these and which is best to use to ...

a) heat car up (and demist)?

b) cool car down?

Many thanks,

SteveO.

Auto should be the Climate Control i.e pick a temperature and leave the car to decide the best way to hold it at that by controlling fan speed/direction/temp . The manual use of the A/C button allows you decide on the direction and speed of fan etc.

Personally i just hit auto and leave it, unless its frozen solid and then i would press front screen only ;)

In the Verso the auto button is used with the temp button. The system then does it's best to keep the in car temperature to your setting. If outside temperatures are below 3 degrees this seems to direct air to feet and screen. Between 3 and 10 degrees outside it sends all the air to your feet and anything warmer seems to set the air direction to the dashboard vents.

There is also a screen clearing button that sends all air to the screen at maximum fan speed.

With the auto button off you have full manual control of fan speed and air direction as well as deciding if the A/C is on or off.

Auto should be the Climate Control i.e pick a temperature and leave the car to decide the best way to hold it at that by controlling fan speed/direction/temp . The manual use of the A/C button allows you decide on the direction and speed of fan etc.

Personally i just hit auto and leave it, unless its frozen solid and then i would press front screen only ;)

+1

With the auto button off you have full manual control of fan speed and air direction as well as deciding if the A/C is on or off.

That's sort of the bit I'm confused about.

If AUTO is off, what is the difference between A/C being on and A/C being off?

Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers.

SteveO.

Difficult to answer this seriously, on is on, off is off! :lol: ;)

Is the question what does the A/C do?

Yes.

What does the A/C do that AUTO does not?

What does AUTO do that A/C does not?

Why can I have AUTO on and A/C off OR A/C on and AUTO off?

Yes.

What does the A/C do that AUTO does not?

What does AUTO do that A/C does not?

Why can I have AUTO on and A/C off OR A/C on and AUTO off?

As the Climate Control maintains the set temperature (like the thermostat in your house) i would assume Toyota decided this was easier with the Air Con running as reducing temperature on a hot day without it is impossible.

Manual allows you make your own decision on vent direction etc etc

A/C steals horses from your engine... leave it off! :lol:

If the engine is idling you can hear it increase its revs when turning AC on, i was quite surprised what a difference it makes. Worth baring in mind it also increases fuel consumption.

Personally i only use it if the temp outside is hotter than what i want to achieve inside, but it does also help demist ya windscreen a bit quicker.

With it on i just think im wasting petrol that could otherwise be used in lift :D

every so often you want to leave the air con on, otherwise your seals will perish but other than that it does rob power!

Personally I find Auto a pain in the *****.

Mainly because I cant select the fan direction and have auto on at the same time, because auto always sends it to your feet. Why cant I have it in my face at 20 degrees, I have no idea.

Also, when I want to defrost the front windscreen - I dont want the AC on, I just want the front windscreen blower on. But when you press the windscreen button it switches the AC on automatically, gah so annoying. I know they designed it for quick demisting, but its still annoying.

But yes, if your wet and in the car it steams up quite quickly so switch the AC on and it clears it in no time at all. Generally I wouldnt need my extra horses in the wet anyway, but in the dry I always have it off for the extra power.

Also make sure you keep your windows closed with the AC on or you may as well throw your money out the window. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links