Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Clean An Auris T180 / Sr180 Egr Valve, This Could Be A Good Ide

Rick D4D

Hopefully the BG gear will give you a little more mpg! But best is that you are lubricating the fuel pump and injectors and conditioning the fuel lines as this low sulphur derv doesn't do the pump any favors! A Tunit box will bring up the mph to...

Let us know how you get on :drunk:

Got my BG244 and now just running down my sainsburys diesel before mixing it in with Shell's stuff. Is it better to carry out a long journey after putting it in or will a short, start stop journey allow it to work better through the system? The mechanic has told me he suspects a leaking injector is the cause of my startup problems on a cold start and I am hoping this will cure it if it is being caused by dirt.

Better to try and keep it in the tank for as long as possible so BG say... After you've got half a tank of derv then top up to full with more derv...

• Like 1

Put the BG244 in yesterday and filled the tank with Shell standard diesel with a small amount of sainsburys diesel which was taking ages to run down. Got to say I am impressed. Mainly bought this stuff to fix the startup issues I was having. Startup appeared much better today. I usually put ignition on, clutch down, pump the accelerator 25-30x and then start to get it going first time without prolonged ticking over. Today I was able to start it smoothly with just 10 pumps of the accelerator. Engine also seemed to be quieter although I am not sure how much of this was down to my imagination. Not driven much distance yet, I have a motorway trip to make tomorrow which should hopefully clear out the carbon properly. Will be topping up when half a tank to get the most out of this can of juice.

Verdict: Early signs are good. If it can cure startup problems then I will be a very happy man, considering mechanic told me to have each injector tested and replace any faulty ones.

Hi all, all the above is very helpful - can someone explain if BG is so much better than the Redex that I've been using which is far more cheaper - Redex any good?.

Also - not sure if i'm doing something wrong regarding EGR cleaning - cleaned mine back in April (just as an experiment really as car was going ok but i knew it was a new EGR fitted under the new engine warranty and had now done 10k). After only another 3 or 4K miles i started having running problems - power loss, no pull in high gear,black smoke etc. - so 'cleaned' EGR again today and engine back to normal with real difference in power etc. What sort of intervals would be expected for EGR to clog up and require cleaning?

Many thanks everyone, Jerry

BG244 and the Archoil products have a very high POA in them that cleans the engine parts! This stuff is really expensive to produce so lots of companies use a limited amount in there cleaners, if at all...

The EGR will need to be cleaned around the 10k mark... Later if using BG or Shell V-Power GTL juice...

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/385/archoil-ar6200-fuel-modification-complex--combustion--burn-rate-modifier-lubricant

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/3/bg-244-diesel-fuel-cleaner

• 1 month later...

As I just bought a 2009 SR180 today and concerned about some issues of the D-4D I read all this post and also looked elsewhere too for some facts and recommendations. I do notice what appears to be "pinking" at certain rpm's on the SR180 and a very fluctuating reading on the instant MPG figures even at a constant speed and load.

Anyway, I came across this webpage, comments and opinions?

The posting on 2-stroke oil being added to diesel being the main subject of interest.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=97446

• 1 month later...

hi there.

i am just wondering, i mean, lets say that 1 wants to blank egr off, what end of pipe should be blanked off??

the engine end or manifold end??

and also if 1 used tin from a coca-cola, would it burn a hole???

regards

• 10 months later...

on the maf there is 2 small wires inside the tube that you missed, I gave mine a quick clean with carb cleaner but TBH was very ginger as I dont want to damage this.

Aah son of a .............. censored.gif Well at least removing the MAF is a lot quicker than the EGR Valve. In my defense the video I watched on You Tube, the guy didn't mention anything about 2 wires in the tube. But i'm suprised I didn't have a peek down there myself.Thanks for the info....................

Do you know if the video is still up there?

on the maf there is 2 small wires inside the tube that you missed, I gave mine a quick clean with carb cleaner but TBH was very ginger as I dont want to damage this.

Aah son of a .............. censored.gif Well at least removing the MAF is a lot quicker than the EGR Valve. In my defense the video I watched on You Tube, the guy didn't mention anything about 2 wires in the tube. But i'm suprised I didn't have a peek down there myself.Thanks for the info....................
Do you know if the video is still up there?

Rick,How has your's been after the clean? Better MPG? Better start? Less smoke? What exactly has been the difference?
Our car has been fine all along apart from the MPG and a slight flatspot in throttle response since the EGR clean the results are,This will vary for everyone but in my experience I did a 360mile round trip the next day with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, going there (more downhill) the roads where very very wet with poor visibility and approx 7oc and we averaged 41.1MPG by the time we got there. When we come home with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, slightly uphill most of the way the roads where dry and approx 3oc the average MPG had dropped to 40.0. When I filled up we got 37.4litres in the tank which I rounded up to 38 and worked out at 43MPG (I always brim the tank). This is now showing a big improvement / approx 20% for a 15minute job of cleaning the EGR valve. I will also note the slight flat spots in throttle response are a lot less than before. As for the MAF I dont think this made any difference and like I said I was very ginger so I did not damage it, I just basically gave it a wash and refitted.

Rick do you know if the previa 2.4 petrol auto has an egr valve and where it might be located? Thanks. Astro

• 11 months later...

Great guide, just had the triple error of doom (P2002 - VSC, Engine Management, 4x4) and in under an hour I had the EGR valve off and cleaned, it was slightly worse than the coked up ones in your pictures, Just reset the error message using torque on my phone, lets see if it helps, I am fairly certain that a clean valve has got to be miles better than a sooted up one but whether it prevents the error codes coming back and limp mode is yet to be seen, fingers crossed and thanks for the awesome guide.

EDIT: :( Nope, error codes came straight back, does this now need an ECU update to prevent the error ?

Maybe I will have to take it in and face the music

EDIT 2: For anyone interested, took it to Motorline Toyota in Brislington, Bristol, explained that I had cleaned the EGR Valve but lights still keep coming back, they said the DPF was almost kaput but they could try to regenerate it, next day they called to say it appeared to be successfull and that it now running OK again, errors seem to have gone away, total cost was £228 inc VAT, I did also get a full valet and oil for that, fingers crossed its not as doom and gloom as I had feared, will be following these amazing guides now to keep the motor from playing up again. (apparantly a new DPF fitted would have cost £1100 so I am pretty pleased as it could have been worse)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this post/sticky. Cleaned mine this evening, amazed at how much soot there was. and even more amazed at how easy it was to access and clean in 15-20 mins.

Bought my sr180 a few days ago with 50k miles. The car was not as responsive in 1st/2nd gear but pulled after 3rd and 4th. Took it for a spin now and what a difference, acceleration is how it should be. 

got 42.5avg mpg before the cleaning, driving on slow lane of motorway. will post new figures tmrw.

IMG_20170110_221750.jpg

so getting 42.5 - 42mpg on avg motorway slow lane driving. This morning I was going at 80mph for a good 20-25 mins and some fast A B road driving, got 38-39mpg.

my bluespark box is in the post, hopefully need less pedal hitting to get the same speed which might mean better fuel sipping

Got 340+ miles on the full tank with 2 bars to go.

Bluespark fitted, full tank Shell V-diesel, got 53mpg avg on the way home. (40 mins on the road) - Motorway and town - driving max 60-65mph

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning all, 

Just wanted to update on following advice of cleaning the valve which was really dirty and locked up. The car has done 60,000 miles and I don't think it's ever been cleaned.  I decided to use glass cleaner for a log fire due to it being carbon build up which worked really well. I've been keeping a record of mpg and regularly as drive to Manchester and back weekly from Devon so a good long run. I was originally getting 41 mpg driving at a constant 70mph and dropping to 50mph during the roadworks. I cleaned the valve and it made a massive difference with exactly the same driving now getting 50 mpg. This is a combination of the valve being cleaned and finding the sweet spot for efficiency which I believe is around 68-70 MPH with the rev counter being around 1900.  I know some of you may be interested in the fuel so have listed the relevant information below.  interestingly I didn't particularly find a difference with Shell v power and due to the cost probably won't use it on a regular basis but may retest now that I have cleaned the valve.

6 feb 230 miles 41.74 MPG on  shell v power diesel fuel

7 feb 230 miles 41.69 MPG on supermarket Tesco fuel

13 feb 230 miles 50.09  MPG cleaned valve on supermarket Tesco's fuel

14 feb 230 miles 48 MPG supermarket Tesco's fuel ( traffic was slow which I believe is resulted in the slight drop)

I'm considering getting the DPF removed/ deleted as I have done on my other car as this has made a considerable difference. I would get this done on the ECU rather than capping. would be really interested to know if anyone else has had this done and with what success. I would probably get the car remapped but not necessarily interested in more power just smoother and more economical. 

Rob

• 1 year later...

Just done this and the check engine light is on any advise? 

Thanks

• 2 years later...

5w30 c2/c3..would there be a good oil to cut down on the build up of soot etc keep the egr valve a bit cleaner in the long run.Please dont just pick the most expensive.Cheaper oils can have the same propperties

• 1 year later...