Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Clean An Auris T180 / Sr180 Egr Valve, This Could Be A Good Ide

Rick D4D

What tyres are they using now on the t180s?

I assume some form of bridgestones?

We have 4 x Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta fitted and these are very very good in the wet and seem as good in the dry (never really been warm and dry since fitted) http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandtyp...mp;BandtypeID=3 my only concern is that these might not be as hard a wearing as the dunlops.

Excellent Tyre. Saw they came second in the EVO test when i was researching what tyre to get next.

How are you finding them on the T180? Especially in the snow and ice recently... As they are mainly a summer tyre.

I must admit i hadn't seen these but i was looking at some other Vredestein tyres. And i've been reading up this morning and i think these will be my next tyre :)

Unless u say otherwise.

Excellent Tyre. Saw they came second in the EVO test when i was researching what tyre to get next.

How are you finding them on the T180? Especially in the snow and ice recently... As they are mainly a summer tyre.

I must admit i hadn't seen these but i was looking at some other Vredestein tyres. And i've been reading up this morning and i think these will be my next tyre :)

Unless u say otherwise.

They are very very good and will say they are the best tyre I have ever had, I just dont know yet how hard wearing they are buy they did only cost me £80 a corner so was not that expensive.

Thanks Rick

Did you have any brown pants moments in the recent snow/ice? That you could attribute to the tyres

Thanks Rick

Did you have any brown pants moments in the recent snow/ice? That you could attribute to the tyres

no mate they was very very good and they are also very good in the wet, they do take around 10-20 mile to rubber in when new but even then they had more wet grip than the dunlops

Well, rather than having to clean the EGR myself, Toyota has agreed to change it whilst it is still in warranty.

As i said, Toyota are pretty good when it comes to warranty issues. :thumbsup:

Remember to remind them to clean the engine intake block as that's the worst part and that bit sits directly below the valve. My valve wasn't actually that bad it was mainly the intake.

Any chance of a photo of the DPF so we know what where looking at? as for the spray grease MR T uses all over your car at the service, I gave them strict instructions not to bother as last time I spent an hour cleaning all the excess from the bodywork etc.

I really don't know where that sensor is in UK models, because in LHD models it hangs under firewall lip straight behind dipstick and if your brake servo is located in right side, there's surely lid for brake fluid access in same place. Basically there's nothing else hanging under lip, it'll be easy to recognize without pictures, big black plastic part with two 8-10 mm outer diameter hoses and one electric connector. It's quite accessible if you remove engine cover first and DPF's dirty side hose is that easier one. If you follow hoses, they connect to steel pipes behind engine and that dirtier one is easy to track to upper side of DPF. I only have my Nokia's camera at the moment and it was quite dark outside so I didn't take any pictures but follow my lead, lad...

Mr T's service schedule is ridiculous, my car was 5 month's old in 30000 kms service, I walked into garage and started to wonder what serviceguy messed with my brakes, he was changing brake fluid. Brake fluid? In schedule it's actually 30000, but that amount of kms is here for a normal Toyotas customer 2 year's amount, that's acceptable but that idiot flushed my factory new fluid away like a f**king zombie. After that he made routine spray-around round, I'd polished my car last weekend and that's it, those tiny oil drops climb everywhere and collect dust like a glue. Fuel filter change is funniest part, filter is perfectly accessible underneath, but those einsteins decide every time to access under hood with different methodes, usually they throw away at least air filter and then they'll remove whole filter assembly...

J

If I have understood this the plastic bit you refer to, is it a square approximate size is guess 50mmx50mm x 25mm deep? And located just to the right of hte brake fluid reservoir? Black pipes going into metal pipes behind the engine? (as well as is could see with out a torch).

If so think ive found it.

Also Found this video for toyota germany I think no idea what the chap is saying tho, but it does show the engine block from behind focusing on the dpf with associated pipe work.

Which I think confirms the little black square is the thing Jukkeli says needs a good blow out?

Had five minutes this afternoon so went under the bonnet with a camera and a torch.

th_IMGP3285Medium.jpg

th_IMGP3283Medium.jpg

And from Jukkeli's description and having a good look, the square plastic bit as far as i can see is connected via plastic then metal pipes to the dpf, one pipe to the middle ish and one the bottom ish.

So might be worth, having a blow down to see if it makes a difference?

• Like 1

Had five minutes this afternoon so went under the bonnet with a camera and a torch.

th_IMGP3285Medium.jpg

th_IMGP3283Medium.jpg

And from Jukkeli's description and having a good look, the square plastic bit as far as i can see is connected via plastic then metal pipes to the dpf, one pipe to the middle ish and one the bottom ish.

Just found this on mine, I might give the pipes a blow out with my mate compressor as it cant hurt either way.

th_IMGP3285Medium.jpg

th_IMGP3283Medium.jpg

Just found this on mine, I might give the pipes a blow out with my mate compressor as it cant hurt either way.

Just gave mine a blow out with the compressor. The hose furthest at the back might have been restricted a little (hard to tell) but the front one was 100% clear.

th_IMGP3285Medium.jpg

th_IMGP3283Medium.jpg

Just gave mine a blow out with the compressor. The hose furthest at the back might have been restricted a little (hard to tell) but the front one was 100% clear.

We seemed to have gained another 3-4mpg since blowing the pipes out, with the EGR valve clean I think the MPG has increased by around 25% ;)

I'm a little lost - What pipe is this?

Cheers

If you look to the right of the brake reservoir you will find a small black box (above in the pictures) this has 2 pipes on it and is a pig to get at, I removed the 10mm retaining bolt and pulled this forward to remove and blow the hoses.

Did your MPG increase with the EGR valve clean?

Thanks again

Yes I did notice MPG go up a little. I normally get low to mid 40s on the m-way. After the clean I was up at 47. I noticed an increase on the daily commute too. Maybe a couple of MPG.

However the freezing temps of recent and the fact that my road has setup Roadworks I'm crawl in traffic for 20 mins which is nearly half my journey. MPG down to 39mpg when I reset on my usual home journey. Keeping around max torque.

Sounds low-ish but I'm pleased with that in freezing temps.

well were going to Luton and back in the morning so will be hoping for around 43MPG any better than 46MPG and it will be the best we have ever had

Just a quick update, Ive just done 1k miles (45% on motorway the rest A roads or town) since cleaning the egr and thought Id whip off it again to see what the build up was like and to give me an Idea of how often it needs doing.

Mainfold

th_IMGP3294Medium.jpg

Top of egr

th_IMGP3291Medium.jpg

Not that much build up if you compare it to my clean pics. The corners have a bit more build up buts that to be expected.

My egr clean has possibly increased the mpg very slightly but most of all its made the car much more responsive to drive. It has got rid of the flat spot at 1800rpm that I hadnt noticed till it went.

Now I just need to find a compressor for 30 seconds to clean down the pipes or work out another way of doing it.

Nice followup!

I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Always curious to test and find out how things work.

well were going to Luton and back in the morning so will be hoping for around 43MPG any better than 46MPG and it will be the best we have ever had

Well filled up / brimmed the tank as normal this morning after doing 230 miles local and worked out the MPG from the litres to find to my shock bang on 35.6MPG and the trip computer said 35.5MPG. We drove to Luton and back 224 miles with an average speed on the computer of 61mph, we did bang on 70mph all the way there and on the way back I turned the cruise control off and will say no more. the temperature both ways was between 0-3oC and I will say this IMO does effect the T180 by around 10-20%. There seemed to be a lot of wind resistance as well. When we got back I brimmed the tank and we had used 23litres / 5.06 gallons and this means we have had 44.2MPG (very happy with this especially with the cold weather) but the trip computer was reading 40.3MPG. IMO this shows that the trip computer is not 100% and over the last 2 months I have been comparing this to what has gone in the tank (I always brim the tank) and have found it to be no more than 4MPG to be out and always says less than what you have done.

How in the hxll can it be possible?

If one should remove the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve would the MPG decrease then???????????????????????

In my book, EGR deletion would usually result in MPG increase.

Just a quick update, Ive just done 1k miles (45% on motorway the rest A roads or town) since cleaning the egr and thought Id whip off it again to see what the build up was like and to give me an Idea of how often it needs doing.

Mainfold

th_IMGP3294Medium.jpg

Top of egr

th_IMGP3291Medium.jpg

Not that much build up if you compare it to my clean pics. The corners have a bit more build up buts that to be expected.

My egr clean has possibly increased the mpg very slightly but most of all its made the car much more responsive to drive. It has got rid of the flat spot at 1800rpm that I hadnt noticed till it went.

Now I just need to find a compressor for 30 seconds to clean down the pipes or work out another way of doing it.

I wonder if this can be coated with like a Teflon spray or something to aid airflow and avoid the soot sticking as easily, or is the answer maybe to redline the car a little every now and then?

The problem with EGR's is they reduce the heat ratio in the combustion process so less fuel is burn't.

When less fuel is burn't it mean's more unburn't fuel, soot.

Because the build up can be quite high, they install a 5th injector to burn off the excess. And the DPF deals with the output soot.

So by its very nature, EGR valves create more soot. The whole point of the EGR valve is to reduce NOX gasses.

The T180 engine emits just 0.087 g/km of NOX - compare this to a frugal VAG 170ps engine which emits 0.231 g/km.... Thats 62% more NOX in the VAG. You could think of it this way, 62% less soot from the VAG (although it doesnt work like that). But more like, in the VAG/Ford/Vaux and even Honda's less need for 5th injector burn cycles and less saturated DPF's.

Because the 2.2 D-Cat is so efficient and so aggressive at NOX filtering (i think Toyota were trying to prove a point and have mature technology ready for Euro 6 reg's) the combustion process produced more soot than rivals which is caught and burned off, hence poorer fuel efficiency.

It's also why "brand" manufacturers like BMW come out with such hideously low co2 emissions and massive MPG figures because their NOX emissions are quite poor, like 0.226 g/km. And that might be a bit lenient as there are many stories of BMW's failing their NOX emissions tests. I wonder what happens when these manufacturers are required to reduce their NOX when new reg's come out.

Whats the answer? God knows. :D

All i do is try to extract as much power from the fuel as possible. The excess soot from EGR's is created because the piston's cannot extract full power. So i always drive between max torque. E.g. i change gear at about 2.6k RPM. Also if possible i accelerate fairly hard if i can within this range.

Its surprising how much temperature affects MPG.

I got my first 46mpg daily commute reading today. I filled up and set off home. Surprised but realized the temp was 8dc.

Mornings and for the past few months have been more like 40. So I expect it to drop tomorrow.

I got my first indicated (computer read out) 40+ mpg for ages on monday at 41.4mpg (over a 100miles). But I had recleaned my egr and stuck in a new air filter at the weekend as the old one was filthy. Also it was much warmer on monday.

Must be worth thinging about blocking off some of the radiator in the cold like black cabs do or peoples used to do back in the day.

But as for the egr, I wouldnt bother with a teflon spray although it would help. Making the inlet smooth would be better as it would give the soot less places to form or sticking in a enough teflon to form a smooth surface.

I would thinking sticking in a curved plate to get rid of the square shape and to funnel the air from the egr into the inlet instead of letting it swirl around in the square space and depositing its soot.

Its surprising how much temperature affects MPG.

I got my first 46mpg daily commute reading today. I filled up and set off home. Surprised but realized the temp was 8dc.

Mornings and for the past few months have been more like 40. So I expect it to drop tomorrow.

I think its do with how diesel is a lot cooler burning than petrol so maybe burns richer mixture to give higher temperatures and a warm heater

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links