Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Clean An Auris T180 / Sr180 Egr Valve, This Could Be A Good Ide

Rick D4D

I just finished reading the info: on the website and I'm now intrigued. I have an oil change and MOT due next week so I may POP some in the tank also.

I think you'll be very happy with the results. But try and but it in at least 3 days befor the MOT so it has time to work. Unless your out and about in the car a bit to get some miles done to run it through. :thumbsup:

Well my 2 cans of BG244 has turned up and I've put one can in. MOT booked for next Tuesday so should be able to go through a tank by then.

Hopefully this will help with my emissions and bad cold starting problems......

Let us know how you get on with it. And if you're not 100% happy you can always get a full refund back off powerenhancers! How good a deal is that?! :yahoo:

Well let me first say, I don't want to go off topic with this as its supposed to be an EGR valve thread. So i'll say that this stuff must be cleaning my EGR valve somewhat cos' its doing everything else the website claimed.

My poor cold starting has disappeared, my mpg has risen and the car has some nice constant pull through the revs. I recommend this BG244 to anyone who is experiencing any kind of fuel system issue.

• Like 1

My Auris is a 2.0 d4-d from 2007 with 26500 KM. Ever since I bought the car it was suffering from a flat spot / response delay while pushing the accelerator very hard. It happens around 2300 - 2500 RPM. The toyo dealer already regenerated the DPF. After that, the delay was less, but far from gone.

After reading this post, I'd give it a try to clean the EGR valve. I'm far from a car technican, but the manual is outstanding. The views are exact the same as on my 2.0.

The EGR manifold was dirty as hell. The 2 holes were still visible, but there was a lot of carbon in it, so they were restricted for more than 50%. After cleaning with carb. cleaner the car wouldn't start the first time. After a small drive I noticed the flat spots / delays while accelerating are not complete gone, but much much less. The engine is more agressive, and reacts faster on the accelerator.

I think I'll give the EGR a clean every 15000 KM.

Rick D4-D: thanks for the manual. Excellent work!! I'm much more satisfied now with the less delays while accelerating !

Try running some BG244 in the fuel. I bet those "Flat spots" will soon go! :thumbsup:

Is this the same stuff such as Forté Advanced Diesel Fuel Conditioner? I've already tried this one. There were no differences at all. Or is this one better?

No its different and much better. I've used Forte but its not a patch on the BG244.

OK, thanks. Too bad I cannot order this stuff in the Netherlands. Try to find a way to get this from UK.

Just ordered 2 cans of BG244 from www.powerenhancer.co.uk. Shipping to the Netherlands and VAT are almost more expensive than the 2 cans....

But after reading the reviews on the web it must be worth every euro! I hope to say goodbye to the flat spots while accelerating very strong???!!!

let us know how you get on with treatment.

A - MA - ZING !!!!

This stuff is awesome. Gone through half a tankfill and yet the car pulls very constant through all the gears. The flat spots while accelarating very strong are completely gone. The cars makes a more decent sound and reacts more agressive on the throttle. Fuel comsumption seems more economic, but this could also due to the EGR cleaining.

This stuff is worth every euro. Now on topic again.... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: GREAT to see it working for u. Powerfull stuff!!!! one can of bg244 for every 8 to 10k miles is the recommended dose, easy cheap way to clean injectors and egr

Having read a lot of comments across the Avensis/RAV4/Auris forums recently referring to head gasket issues being related to blocked EGR, I decided to go out and check mine this morning.

I first cleaned the EGR when I collected the car in November, and it had covered 15,500 miles prior to this.

Some fuel receipts that I found in the car pointed to a life of supermarket fuel being used, and the EGR was clogged up badly, so obviously I cleaned it out.

Today I decided to check on it as my car is now on 24,000 miles, so 9,000 miles of use on exclusively Shell V-power or Shell Fuel Save.

The EGR had a small build up of carbon, but it was very dry and crumbly and very thin. All openings were still able to pass gases, and the EGR was free to move.

As I had the EGR off, I cleaned it out again by scraping off any excess and using a wire brush to clean up the edges.

I can't say for sure (I'm no scientist) that the EGR would be clogged up more if I had used supermarket fuel, but I know that I could have put it back on as it was and not worried about it for another 10,000 miles if the same amount of carbon build up was guaranteed, but it was nowhere near the level of build up I had when it was cleaned at 15k, so tha'ts good enough for me.

Also, while the bonnet was open I checked the oil level and had a look inside the coolant header tank, and all looked well, so I would assume that all is well with the head gasket, despite a small build up of carbon in the EGR.

I think the 'EGR clogged means head gasket issue' outlook is a bit OTT, but if you do check yours and the build up appears to be gunky/moist then monitor your oil levels and coolant, and see how they look. If it is dry and crumbly and the oil and coolant are as they should be, then there is nothing to worry about.

Well let me first say, I don't want to go off topic with this as its supposed to be an EGR valve thread. So i'll say that this stuff must be cleaning my EGR valve somewhat cos' its doing everything else the website claimed.

My poor cold starting has disappeared, my mpg has risen and the car has some nice constant pull through the revs. I recommend this BG244 to anyone who is experiencing any kind of fuel system issue.

Well turns out it hasn't cured my bad cold starting. Only today it took me 4 attempts to get car started. Right now I'm blaming tescos fuel as this is the second tank I've put in it, in a row only because of the 5p off a litre deal there doing. But I will switch back to Shell or esso as soon as I use this up.

In the meantime I'm gonna have to look into changing glow plugs and going from there.

Not gonna check EGR valve as I be just cleaned it out.

But I am still gonna use this BG244 once a year as it has increased mpg and smoothed out acceleration.

My Auris is a 2.0 d4-d from 2007 with 26500 KM. Ever since I bought the car it was suffering from a flat spot / response delay while pushing the accelerator very hard. It happens around 2300 - 2500 RPM. The toyo dealer already regenerated the DPF. After that, the delay was less, but far from gone.

After reading this post, I'd give it a try to clean the EGR valve. I'm far from a car technican, but the manual is outstanding. The views are exact the same as on my 2.0.

The EGR manifold was dirty as hell. The 2 holes were still visible, but there was a lot of carbon in it, so they were restricted for more than 50%. After cleaning with carb. cleaner the car wouldn't start the first time. After a small drive I noticed the flat spots / delays while accelerating are not complete gone, but much much less. The engine is more agressive, and reacts faster on the accelerator.

I think I'll give the EGR a clean every 15000 KM.

Rick D4-D: thanks for the manual. Excellent work!! I'm much more satisfied now with the less delays while accelerating !

Try running some BG244 in the fuel. I bet those "Flat spots" will soon go! :thumbsup:

Is this the same stuff such as Forté Advanced Diesel Fuel Conditioner? I've already tried this one. There were no differences at all. Or is this one better?

No its different and much better. I've used Forte but its not a patch on the BG244.

OK, thanks. Too bad I cannot order this stuff in the Netherlands. Try to find a way to get this from UK.

Just ordered 2 cans of BG244 from www.powerenhancer.co.uk. Shipping to the Netherlands and VAT are almost more expensive than the 2 cans....

But after reading the reviews on the web it must be worth every euro! I hope to say goodbye to the flat spots while accelerating very strong???!!!

let us know how you get on with treatment.

A - MA - ZING !!!!

This stuff is awesome. Gone through half a tankfill and yet the car pulls very constant through all the gears. The flat spots while accelarating very strong are completely gone. The cars makes a more decent sound and reacts more agressive on the throttle. Fuel comsumption seems more economic, but this could also due to the EGR cleaining.

This stuff is worth every euro. Now on topic again.... :thumbsup:

Happy days! :thumbsup:

I thought it would get rid off that flat spot. Your right its worth every penny :toast:

Well turns out it hasn't cured my bad cold starting. Only today it took me 4 attempts to get car started. Right now I'm blaming tescos fuel as this is the second tank I've put in it, in a row only because of the 5p off a litre deal there doing. But I will switch back to Shell or esso as soon as I use this up.

In the meantime I'm gonna have to look into changing glow plugs and going from there.

But I am still gonna use this BG244 once a year as it has increased mpg and smoothed out acceleration.

I wouldn't waste money on glow plugs, they won't be used in normal temps, they are usually only used during cold winter periods.

See how it behaves once you use up the tesco's fuel and run a tank of Shell through it.

I'd be inclined to think that the fuel is your problem and a tank of good stuff will help.

• Like 1

I wouldn't waste money on glow plugs, they won't be used in normal temps, they are usually only used during cold winter periods.

See how it behaves once you use up the tesco's fuel and run a tank of Shell through it.

I'd be inclined to think that the fuel is your problem and a tank of good stuff will help.

Thanks for the info. I'll run some good stuff through it then decide what I'm gonna do...........

I swear by Shell fuel, i've never had any issues with it.

If the BG244 worked fine, but you filled up with Tesco's fuel afterwards, and the problem started, then it points the finger at the fuel, or a big coincidence.

I hope you figure it out soon and it runs well again :thumbsup:

I don't think that you can go far wrong with Shell V-Power fuels. I've found that the T-180 loves the stuff and runs like a dream on it. Just wish they had more fuel stations that had it round by me. :thumbsup:

I swear by Shell fuel, i've never had any issues with it.

If the BG244 worked fine, but you filled up with Tesco's fuel afterwards, and the problem started, then it points the finger at the fuel, or a big coincidence.

I hope you figure it out soon and it runs well again :thumbsup:

I don't think that you can go far wrong with Shell V-Power fuels. I've found that the T-180 loves the stuff and runs like a dream on it. Just wish they had more fuel stations that had it round by me. :thumbsup:

Thanks chaps. A moment of weakness and I got suckered into the fuel pricing wars. :crybaby: '!Removed! Tescos and it's 5p of a litre deal'. :censor: You know what after the discount was applied to a full tank it only gave me £2.20 discount. ***** I loose more than that down the seats of the car..........................

Once bitten Twice shy...................

Oh yeah.. My EGR Valve has.................................................... :thumbsup:

BP Ultimate works fine for me !

BP Ultimate works fine for me !

If it works, use it I say :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Fantastic guide, I'm new to all this and wouldnt have attempted to do anything like this but the guide was clear and simple and with the help of others on the forum i took it off cleared the EGR and the DPF and now the car is driving like a dream again! Thanks again to all who helped!!

Fantastic guide, I'm new to all this and wouldnt have attempted to do anything like this but the guide was clear and simple and with the help of others on the forum i took it off cleared the EGR and the DPF and now the car is driving like a dream again! Thanks again to all who helped!!

Is there somewhere a guide (with photos) how to clean the DPF? Something like this outstanding EGR guide.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there somewhere a guide (with photos) how to clean the DPF? Something like this outstanding EGR guide.

Someone ? :D

Super manual .......... thx for all the work

/Hakan

The symptoms.

The MPG is disgraceful this time last year we was averaging no less than 38mpg over a tank and around 42-45mpg when driven on a run with cruise control set at 70mph. Over Christmas we did approx 1500miles and have managed best on a run +4oc 31mpg driving with cruise control set at 70mph, when it was cold we was down to 21mpg and have now risen to around 30mpg driving like your gran going to church. These figures are a long way short of the figures that Toyota quote and of what we was achieving this time last year with similar temperatures, it may be worth noting the car makes a pinking sound at around 1800-2300rpm if you put your foot down and there is a small delay / flat spot in throttle response (not turbo lag) when you press the accelerator, I suspect this is the fly by wire throttle system but is it supposed to have a delay?

How to clean, I did have to borrow a few pictures as I had cleaned mine by the time I made this thread.

1. Remove the engine cover, this just pulls up and unclips.

1.jpg

2. Now you can see the EGR Valve, you will need a 12mm socket, Ratchet and extension to remove this.

2.jpg

3. Remove these 2 x bolts 1st for the pipe above the EGR valve.

3.jpg

4. Now undo the other 4 x 12mm nuts and bolts from the EGR valve and unplug this from the wiring loom, this can now be removed.

4.jpg

5. This is now what you will find.

Dirty manifold with 2 x blocked breathing holes.

5.jpg

Dirty EGR valve with restricted air flow.

6.jpg

6. I cleaned these using an old toothbrush, small screw driver, carburettor cleaner, old cloth and a dyson cleaner to suck the muck out. Try to scrape and brush out the thick carbon then use the carburettor cleaner to clean the finish this off.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now once all this is cleaned out just simply refit, This took me a total of 15 minutes so I assure you this is very easy.

The results

This will vary for everyone but in my experience I did a 360mile round trip the next day with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, going there (more downhill) the roads where very very wet with poor visibility and approx 7oc and we averaged 41.1MPG by the time we got there. When we come home with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, slightly uphill most of the way the roads where dry and approx 3oc the average MPG had dropped to 40.0. When I filled up we got 37.4litres in the tank which I rounded up to 38 and worked out at 43MPG (I always brim the tank). This is now showing a big improvement / approx 20% for a 15minute job of cleaning the EGR valve. I will also note the slight flat spots in throttle response are a lot less than before.

I would like to say a big thank you to cabcurtains for bringing the EGR valve to my attention and to twingo69 as I borrowed a few pictures from his thread to make this guide.

UPDATE

Ok it has been nearly 5 months and around 4k since I did this do this morning I thought I would check the EGR valve. To be honest the manifold was very very clean maybe a small less than 1mm coating of carbon and the EGR valve had a little more, I did clean this again while it was removed but in my opinion looking at what I seen today I would recommend cleaning this around every 12months or 10k.

I took my SR~180 in for a service at Toyota and they did this for me for free and reset/updated my ECU for free too.

Might not need to get your hands dirty :)

• 1 month later...

Does someone know the exact size or sparepart number of the bolts which fixes the EGR pipe on the engine (picture 3)? I've wrecked one with tightening en now the nut is a little bit more round.... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Weirdly, although my Rav4 2.2 XT5 has same setup of EGR valve, the one on my 59 Auris SR180 looks completely different, bigger and different shape - still has Toyota / Denso / EGR sticker on it.

Did Toyota revise the design of the EGR valves at some point?

• 3 weeks later...

Did it myself, very dirty before and a lot of smoke, now sounds different and no smoke at all!

It took me around 45 min, I had an extra screw to demount and mount it back.

Thanks for tips!

• 3 weeks later...

Just been quoted £357 because "seriously underpowered due to EGR valve sticking open". I think I'll do it myself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links