Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Clean An Auris T180 / Sr180 Egr Valve, This Could Be A Good Ide

Rick D4D

On the strength of this thread (and the pos write-ups elsewhere) I ordered a can of BG244 and it made bugger-all difference to my car. Performance the same, mpg the same and after 250 miles no change in the appearance of the EGR valve. (took piccies before to compare just to be sure).

Not knocking the stuff obviously some people have had very positive results from this stuff. Just saying I didn't, so 20 odd quid wasted in my case...

Strangely, I've found the Massey-Ferguson sound gets slightly worse when I clean out my EGR and I've never had any performance/mpg improvements. I just do it because it needs to be done.

I bought a 2008 SR180 with 38000 miles in October. Very happy with drive and power, but the MPG seemed atrocious. Doing almost all motorway driving with cruise control set 70-75 mph I cannot even get 400 miles to a full tank, I am averaging between 33 and 35 mpg, almost regardless of how I drive it or at what speed. One trip driving at constant 55-60 I did manage to hit 50mpg average but that was exception. My previous Golf V TDI 170 would easily hit 43mpg when driven hard on motorway and 500 miles to a tank was quite easily achieved.

Put BG44 into Auris when I bought it, had very good results on the old Golf, difficult to say what difference it's made on Auris.Followed these instructions and removed EGR manifold, it was really gunked up with black gunge, breather holes almost totally blocked. Cleaned out what I could from the bit that stays attached to the block, and cleaned the bit that comes off with loads of carb cleaner.

After that, most noticeable difference was how noisy the EGR was, almost as if it hadn't been working before, now it is definitely more "diesellly" at idle, although it's still like a Rolls Royce for noise and smoothness compared to the VAG TDi!!

But MPG is still dreadful regardless of driving style or fuel type (tried BP Ultimate and Shell VPower for the first few tanks). I don't trust the trip computer at all, so ignoring that and calculating fuel used at tank-to-tank fill ups, best I have seen is 38mpg in a complete tank and now seems to sit around 34mpg recently. Steady driving at 50 to 70 the instant trip computer readout very rarely seems to stay above 40mpg for very long, the slightest throttle and it's at mid 30s MPG. Have also run with tyres at top end of pressures (40 psi) and don't use air con much.

Are there any suggestions for other things I can try? Like I said, engine is super smooth and pulls very hard in the higher gears if required. I have noticed a noise at around 1700-1800rpm (a clatter or rattle) not sure if it is turbo spooling up or something else. Also,when I got car, Battery connector was loose and a few times car wouldn't start because Battery was disconnected, so wondering if my ECU would have reset itself or something similar and needs a reprogram?

Suggestions really appreciated, we also have a Z4 with 2 litre petrol engine, it's better on fuel than the Auris which cannot be right!!

I bought a 2008 SR180 with 38000 miles in October. Very happy with drive and power, but the MPG seemed atrocious. Doing almost all motorway driving with cruise control set 70-75 mph I cannot even get 400 miles to a full tank, I am averaging between 33 and 35 mpg, almost regardless of how I drive it or at what speed. One trip driving at constant 55-60 I did manage to hit 50mpg average but that was exception. My previous Golf V TDI 170 would easily hit 43mpg when driven hard on motorway and 500 miles to a tank was quite easily achieved.

Put BG44 into Auris when I bought it, had very good results on the old Golf, difficult to say what difference it's made on Auris.Followed these instructions and removed EGR manifold, it was really gunked up with black gunge, breather holes almost totally blocked. Cleaned out what I could from the bit that stays attached to the block, and cleaned the bit that comes off with loads of carb cleaner.

After that, most noticeable difference was how noisy the EGR was, almost as if it hadn't been working before, now it is definitely more "diesellly" at idle, although it's still like a Rolls Royce for noise and smoothness compared to the VAG TDi!!

But MPG is still dreadful regardless of driving style or fuel type (tried BP Ultimate and Shell VPower for the first few tanks). I don't trust the trip computer at all, so ignoring that and calculating fuel used at tank-to-tank fill ups, best I have seen is 38mpg in a complete tank and now seems to sit around 34mpg recently. Steady driving at 50 to 70 the instant trip computer readout very rarely seems to stay above 40mpg for very long, the slightest throttle and it's at mid 30s MPG. Have also run with tyres at top end of pressures (40 psi) and don't use air con much.

Are there any suggestions for other things I can try? Like I said, engine is super smooth and pulls very hard in the higher gears if required. I have noticed a noise at around 1700-1800rpm (a clatter or rattle) not sure if it is turbo spooling up or something else. Also,when I got car, battery connector was loose and a few times car wouldn't start because battery was disconnected, so wondering if my ECU would have reset itself or something similar and needs a reprogram?

Suggestions really appreciated, we also have a Z4 with 2 litre petrol engine, it's better on fuel than the Auris which cannot be right!!

BG44? or BG244? there is a petrol one called 44K...

I used the BG44K, it's ok for petrol or diesel. The BG244 can only be used with diesels but there's basically very little difference, I think the 244 has a Cetane booster as well but I've heard that it's not a great idea to use Cetane booster with engines that have a DPF.

When I used the BG44K in the Golf TDI 170 I had it made a huge difference, 3-5mpg more, smoother top end and a lot more 'pull' through the gears. I didn't really notice any difference in the Auris but then I used it as soon as I bought the car so may not have been so used to the way it felt.

I used the BG44K, it's ok for petrol or diesel. The BG244 can only be used with diesels but there's basically very little difference, I think the 244 has a Cetane booster as well but I've heard that it's not a great idea to use Cetane booster with engines that have a DPF.

When I used the BG44K in the Golf TDI 170 I had it made a huge difference, 3-5mpg more, smoother top end and a lot more 'pull' through the gears. I didn't really notice any difference in the Auris but then I used it as soon as I bought the car so may not have been so used to the way it felt.

I've only ever used the BG244 in my cars. I found that my Polo TDi went like a bomb after using it dispite using Millers diesel clean in there from day 1. Must be all that lovely PEA in the stuff :thumbsup:

I've only ever used the BG244 in my cars. I found that my Polo TDi went like a bomb after using it dispite using Millers diesel clean in there from day 1. Must be all that lovely PEA in the stuff :thumbsup:

It's certainly decent stuff. The rest of those products have always seemed like snake-oil, the Millers, Redex etc all seems to be utter cr&p. I had taken the Golf to KwikFit once and they sneaked in the BG44K without asking me (despite also charging me for it). Didn't notice at the time so couldn't complain, was a bit worried about them putting the stuff in a modern diesel TBH, then after a week I realised how much extra power I was getting and the MPG went up as well! I will probably give the Auris a couple thousand more miles and then try another BG44 to see if I notice any difference this time...

It's certainly decent stuff. The rest of those products have always seemed like snake-oil, the Millers, Redex etc all seems to be utter cr&p. I had taken the Golf to KwikFit once and they sneaked in the BG44K without asking me (despite also charging me for it). Didn't notice at the time so couldn't complain, was a bit worried about them putting the stuff in a modern diesel TBH, then after a week I realised how much extra power I was getting and the MPG went up as well! I will probably give the Auris a couple thousand more miles and then try another BG44 to see if I notice any difference this time...

I've used most of them and alot are Snake oils for sure especially the Slick 50 stuff with all that PTFE that should (In my view) be avoided like the plague! Why not give the 244 a go? I've never found any problems with the stuff. I see you live in Staffs, where abouts? I lived in Fenton for a bit...

Are there any suggestions for other things I can try? Like I said, engine is super smooth and pulls very hard in the higher gears if required. I have noticed a noise at around 1700-1800rpm (a clatter or rattle) not sure if it is turbo spooling up or something else.

The dieselly sound drives me round the bend. Really loud and intrusive, especially at low speeds. I actually took my car back to Toyota and drove them round in it thinking it was on the verge of falling to bits, but they pretended not to hear anything lol...

I think you'll find that the mpg your getting is what it's gonna give. You could try the BG stuff, but I found it made absolutley no difference at all.

Bob.

The dieselly sound drives me round the bend. Really loud and intrusive, especially at low speeds. I actually took my car back to Toyota and drove them round in it thinking it was on the verge of falling to bits, but they pretended not to hear anything lol...

I think you'll find that the mpg your getting is what it's gonna give. You could try the BG stuff, but I found it made absolutley no difference at all.

Bob.

Thanks, I guess for a 2.2 180BHP car mid to high 30s MPG is not too bad, it's just frustrating when Toyota quote mid 40s to mid 50s! I assume this is all because the D-CAT engine is so aggressive on NOX emissions that the EGR hits the fuel consumption? A BMW 335d is better on MPG in comparison, 3.0 litre and pushing close to 300BHP but significantly worse NOX emissions I understand.

The other thing I noticed that might help the clattery sound is that mine has lost almost all of the push-studs that clip the engine shrouds into place, so I guess that may be rattling a bit, going to get a new set of studs and make sure it's clipped back down firmly.

Has anyone else really noticed any difference with the V-Power / BP Ultimate fuels vs Supermarket variety? I can feel no difference in power or smoothness or MPG whatever fuel I use, but then my car is getting one or two 250 mile motorway trips most weeks so hopefully it helps clean out the soot...

My car seems to love Morrisons fuel, hate Shell and be ambivalent about BP. Haven't tried Tesco :D .

Could be me, but I'm sure it performs better with a tankful of diesel from the filthy pumps at Morrisons in Diss. (prap's it just likes seeing me wade through the puddles of spillings when I fill it up :wacko: ). With sensible driving, ie; when the wife's in the car, I can hit and hold 44+ to the gallon rural driving. But when I take it out for a bit of fun it can drop down under 30. The lowest I've had was 26, but that's caning the nuts off it.

I believe mid 40's to 50's is a load of balls. I got my car with 7k on the clock in pristine condition. Back then driving like a nun didn't get me any better than 46, and that was before I fitted the chip box.

I agree with Sharknose here - it is very disappointing to find that the new(er) car you just bought does a lot less to the gallon than you were expecting. Given that there are so many Auris D4-D owners finding the same thing, it's obviously a generic issue for the engine/exhaust set-up. The fact it has a known & well-documented history should be making Toyota sit up & take notice. Did they know this engine is so poor MPG-wise before launching it ? If they did, then that is entirely shocking ! For ANYmanufacturer to have so many customers complaining about the same problem, something should have been done to help/rectify the situation long ago. I am not a Toyota knocker - my Supra was ultra reliable - but I am disappointed at the poor MPG of this modern turbo-diesel. It is quiet, smooth & refined, but definitely inferior to all the high-power diesels I've driven in the fuel efficency stakes. That includes 150 bhp VAG Tdi, Astra 150 bhp Cdti & the 180 bhp 320D BMW.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

July 2007 Auris 2.2 D-CAT, 51,329 miles.

March 2011 to January 2012 - 10,660 miles, a manually calculated average of 35.4MPG and £2001.84 worth of Shell V power later, this is what my EGR Valve looks like after cleaning it last time. I think I'll stick to normal Shell diesel. I haven't bothered cleaning the valve either - if it's gonna block up and cause mayhem my totoyta extended warranty, or the 3/4 engine TSB warranty will surely sort it.

post-102799-0-93252200-1327851170_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much for guide , half hr to remove, clean and refit , filled up with V-power , all warning lights gone out without resetting ecu and mpg immediate increase , winner .

• 2 weeks later...

I just cleaned the egr valve and made a schoolboy error i forgot to i forgot to plug the sensor back in before i started the engine ,Now it says on the dash Check Engine is there anyway of clearing this fault ???

Any help would be much appreciated

Pedro

For some reason my post didn't come out!!!... But thats what I would do above!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks guys tried this and the fault has disapeared on the dash so hopefully it has worked i'll take it for a run now and see how it goes

Pedro

• 1 month later...

Just finished, took about 20 min. Can't believe how much crap was in there, hopefully more mpg going for a thrash down the M1 now.

Wow, got 40.5 average instead of 33. That'll ding dang do for me!

My EGR valve looks nothing like the one's pictured in this thread, it seems to sit vertically.

Does anyone know if there are 2 different types or if maybe my engine has been changed already.

I have had the car ,an 09 SR180 for about six weeks and am getting about 38 mpg average,

not much worse than the 08 caddy i have for work but it's only 105 bhp and does about 42.

thanks

Eddie

• 1 month later...

My EGR valve looks nothing like the one's pictured in this thread, it seems to sit vertically.

Does anyone know if there are 2 different types or if maybe my engine has been changed already.

I have had the car ,an 09 SR180 for about six weeks and am getting about 38 mpg average,

not much worse than the 08 caddy i have for work but it's only 105 bhp and does about 42.

thanks

Eddie

Hi Eddie, just wondering whether you got any further with cleaning your EGR seeing as its been a month since your post, because i find myself in the same situation as yourself, owning an '09 plate SR180 with a revised EGR which i wish to check (i've only had the car 2~3weeks and i'm new to the forum).

I have left a post asking for guidance just in case there's any pitfalls with the revised version but not received any feedback as yet.

Hi If you have only had it 2 weeks and bought it from a Toyota dealer take it back and tell them to clean it.

That is what I did with mine, They did what I asked while I waited and took pictures of before and after, which they said they were going to forward to Toyota Technical !!!!.

Hi Brett

Sorry no I havn't got around to doing it yet but i post some pics when I do. I'm glad to hear there is such a thing as an updated egr valve as I was thinking i had a car which had a different engine fitted ! I hadn't been able to find out much info about an update. I have no problems with my car but would just like to see how clean it is.

Hope you are enjoying you sr, i have had mine now for about 3 months and I love it. 40 ish mpg and good power so i'm happy enough,my caddy van is only a 105 hp and it only gets about 42 !

Good luck with the new car

Eddie

Hi If you have only had it 2 weeks and bought it from a Toyota dealer take it back and tell them to clean it.

That is what I did with mine, They did what I asked while I waited and took pictures of before and after, which they said they were going to forward to Toyota Technical !!!!.

Hi, I purchased the car from a car supermarket..120 mile round trip..so i was trying to save wasting a day and do the job DIY styley especially considering some members suggest repeating the job annually so probably in my best interest to learn

thanks for the advise

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links