Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering Buying Xt4/5

jonddd

We have decided to buy a 4.3 diesel XT4/5 with a bit more torque to pull our caravan

than our present 4.2 petrol which pulls well but needs a lot of clutch on a slope

as the engine develops its power at quite high revs.

We looked at an XT5 just over 3 years old and were quite interested

but the salesman made an interesting comment, saying that the previous owner had

traded it in as he wanted 'something with fewer electrical gizmos'. I wondered whether during the

guarantee period he had had problems. Is this model known for problems? What should we look out for?

(My wife loves the leather seats and the sunroof.)

Jon

Hi John

Considering how many of us have 4.3s there are very few problems. I think 1 climate control unit and 2 radio displays are all that spring to mind. Go ahead and treat yourself to an XT5 - they are superb.

Hi John

Considering how many of us have 4.3s there are very few problems. I think 1 climate control unit and 2 radio displays are all that spring to mind. Go ahead and treat yourself to an XT5 - they are superb.

The test drive was a joy, in bitter cold weather, once we had tried the heated seats my wife

would have bought it on the spot. The trade-in price offered for ours was less exciting however!

Jon

Hi John

The test drive was a joy, in bitter cold weather, once we had tried the heated seats my wife

would have bought it on the spot. The trade-in price offered for ours was less exciting however!

Jon

I would go for it. Being biased of course but the XT4/XT5 of that vintage are I think the best because you get a spare wheel on the back... missing from later 4.3s. Couple of weeks ago I got a puncture off road, and fifteen minutes later I had changed the wheel and was driving away at full speed. Repair to tire was only about £10 and its fine to use for another few thousand miles. Compare that with XTRs, later 4.3s / 180s. Best case I would be replacing the tire for £100 post foam repair, worst case I'd still be stuck in that field with latex foam shooting out of the tire because it wouldn't work well in sub low temperatures...or if the puncture wasn't in the right place. Would the AA be able to get to me? Who knows? No thanks!

The XT5 is a rarer beast and with all the gizmos its fab. Although Toyotas go wrong, they are more reliable than most (check out JD power ratings for the Prius which is v.complex electrically) and I only bought an XT4 because I couldn't find an XT5! Good luck!

but the salesman made an interesting comment, saying that the previous owner had

traded it in as he wanted 'something with fewer electrical gizmos'. for?

(My wife loves the leather seats and the sunroof.)

Jon

Exactly my reason for not buying an XT5, didn't wan't idiot stuff like automatic wipers and lights etc as I can usually tell when it's getting dark or raining so plumped for an XT4 with options to up the spec- leather, sidesteps, style pack etc .