Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.0 Vs 1.33

ChuGNutS

Hi all, looking to order an iQ this week but want to know the difference in speed (mid range and top end) between the two engines from anyone who has driven both models. I cannot find any dealers locally who have a 1.33 available to test drive.

Is the 1.3 worth the extra ££'s, is it quite a bit quicker than the 1.0 at motorway speeds?

Any help would be appreciated!! :)

ta

I only drived the automatic gearbox 1.0l and own a manual 1.33l IQ.

But I can tell that the difference of power is usefull. But you have to go high in the RPM on 2nd and 3rd gear (over 4500rpm) to have a "safe acceleration" on the motorway.

Not worth the extra money to get, to insure and extra taxes.....just rev the 1.0.......it's fasts enough and don't listen to that motorway stories...................the 1.0 stand it's (here's?) ground easy.

cheers for the replies. Has anyone seen any performance figures for the 1.33 other than 0-60 time?

Autocar tested the 1.0 as follows:

30-50 3rd 9.6 seconds

30-50 4th 14.3 seconds

40-60 4th 15.8 seconds

40-60 5th 20.1 seconds

50-70 5th 25.4 seconds

The around town performance i can live with but i do have to do some motorway mileage during the week. 50 -70 in 5th gear taking 25 seconds sounds very slow! was hoping the 1.33 would be quite a bit quicker at these speeds due to a 50% increase in bhp.

cheers for the replies. Has anyone seen any performance figures for the 1.33 other than 0-60 time?

Autocar tested the 1.0 as follows:

30-50 3rd 9.6 seconds

30-50 4th 14.3 seconds

40-60 4th 15.8 seconds

40-60 5th 20.1 seconds

50-70 5th 25.4 seconds

The around town performance i can live with but i do have to do some motorway mileage during the week. 50 -70 in 5th gear taking 25 seconds sounds very slow! was hoping the 1.33 would be quite a bit quicker at these speeds due to a 50% increase in bhp.

If you give me these speeds in km/h i can check it. The only problem is that i haven't found yet where to install my camera to record video with both hands free...

I imagine the 1.33 would be a lot more pleasant on the motorway just for the ease of overtaking vs. the 1.0, but if you're quite patient and don't mind 'convoying' the 1.0 should be okay.

If you're gonna be doing a lot of motorway runs tho', get the 1.33! (Then again, if you're going to be doing a lot of motorway runs, you'd be better off with a Yaris or an Auris or something bigger! :lol:)

The 1.33 both feels and is faster than the 1.0, it is a no brainer really, but if it is worth the money is up to you.

I chose the 1.33 because if not I would always wonder how the 1.33 were, I usually cruise around 100mph

with my other cars on the motorway and the 1.0 is simply just not up to that!

I would say that if you are only to cruise within a larger city you really do not need the 1.33, but if you are

to use it as your only car and you take trips outside the city the 1.33 is probably the better choice.

When I say better I mean the driving experience will be better, economy and so on is a whole other issue.

The 1.33 is a four cylinder engine compared to the three cylinders in the one litre and is dual VVT-i

You also get a 6 speed gear box and Stop/Start. Road tax is only £30 a year which won’t break the bank.

1.33 Details :thumbsup:

The 1.0 should do the job as a town car, isnt that the IQ's habitual home? As long as it will hold 70 on the motorway thats all you need for the odd journey isnt it?

The 1.0 should do the job as a town car, isnt that the IQ's habitual home? As long as it will hold 70 on the motorway thats all you need for the odd journey isnt it?

Only if you like artic's up your backside :P I would feel much happier being able to pull out at 70 and get to 85 to overtake some traffic than be forced to sit 'in convoy' because the car isn't capable :)

So you think a Yaris handels better on an motorway then an IQ?............please do your homework again.

a motorway is a straight road

Only if you like artic's up your backside :P I would feel much happier being able to pull out at 70 and get to 85 to overtake some traffic than be forced to sit 'in convoy' because the car isn't capable :)

Last time i checked they did 56, i doubt the IQ is the right motor if you want grunt between 70 & 85 :lol: ;)

You've bought the wrong car!.......really! (or just learn to shift back to 3rd)

Buy a nice Audi RS6..............bigger, faster, more expensive, much more luxery.

You've bought the wrong car!.......really! (or just learn to shift back to 3rd)

Buy a nice Audi RS6..............bigger, faster, more expensive, much more luxery.

An RS6? Slightly OTT I think! I dont think being able to get from 70 to 85 safely should be out of the reach of ANY car. I have just had a call from my dealer who now has a 1.33 in as a demo vehicle. I will be booking an extended test drive this week :)

Some people have clearly missed the point here. I want a small, nippy town car with good economy that doesnt feel like a cheap boring car. The car will mostly be used around town and the daily work commute but will be required for the odd long(ish) trip using motorways. I wanted to know if the 1.33 is more capable on fast roads (surely some of you go outside 30 zones!!!) as the press seem to print some very contradictory reviews off the 1.33 (no faster than the 1.0, etc etc) when on paper it is 50% more powerful.

I use all types of roads, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 zones and love the style and size of the iQ. I guess trying one is the only way to find if it suits :)

I find my IQ2 more than capable on motorways, and yes i have taken it up to its top speed!

I usually cruise at 70-80mph with no problems on motorways, feels steady and secure. Doesnt take that long to get there, use the VVTi, it loves it!!

I'm finding our iQ3 is getting faster now that I've covered around 1200 miles, certainly through the gears if you ignore the silly shift light!! My wife has an Aygo Black which I believe has the 3 cylinder engine of the iQ and iQ2 and that's a nippy little car as well but for me having test drove both the iQ2 & iQ3 I like the bigger engine and the 6 speed gearbox along with the bigger wheels and stop/start. Getting high 40's mpg from mixed driving. Driving to Scotland at the weekend from the border of Norfolk & Suffolk and can't wait - it's certainly gonna be comfy enough and I'm sure will do well at motorway cruising speeds. Try both models and then decide but for me I'm glad I've got the iQ3! :D

Saying all that whichever iQ you buy you'll had a fun car that really does belie it's size! ;)

hi chugnuts

i have the iq1 & find it fine for motorway driving

you have to be more aware of whats going on around you

plan ahead

ok you can't just floor it

but thats the trade off driving an economical car

i am saving about a grand a year compared to my old volvo

the 1.3 was not available when i got my iq but i still would have opted for 1ltr

I'm getting an IQ3 on friday.. having test drove the 1.0L and the 1.33L I found the 1.33L far more lively around streets and side roads... didn't drive it on motorways but what sold me most of all was the noise of the engine... very sporty sounding lol

I have a new model Smart ForTwo 1.0L... it has a far greater power to weight ratio than a 1.0L IQ and when I was comparing there performances on a motorway it was quite considerable... My guess was it had to be the fact the small engined IQ was a lot heavier. However the IQ3 seemed faster than the Smarty.

PS.... if you shop around you can get an IQ3 for almost 11K ;)

But an IQ is in fact faster in any way then a Smart..........try is with numbers instead of your "experience" and you'll see the difference. (Smart on an motorway doeing 70-90.......my deepest respect)

But an IQ is in fact faster in any way then a Smart..........try is with numbers instead of your "experience" and you'll see the difference. (Smart on an motorway doeing 70-90.......my deepest respect)

I am not sure that it's true as far as smart brabus is concerned ?!

Smart 71bhp 750kilos IQ 68bhp 950kilos

Check out this video

most people I know who have driven both agree the Smart is faster :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links