Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water In Footwell And Boot

Dave Williams

In short my 2002 avensis hatchback boot spare wheel space is filling with water and my drivers side passenger footwell is soaking wet also where the passenger seat where it is against the door is wet all the way down, all i need to know is anyone ellse having this problem or had it and fixed it

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

I would think it is coming in from the same place, but don't know where it is.

I would remove the boot linings & check to see where the water is coming in from. In my case it was coming in from the Passengers side shock absorber where it seats & is secured in to the car.

I drilled 3 off 8 mm holes in the spare tyre well & put in 3 flush grommets to help with rust.

I also drilled 2 off 6mm holes in the bottom of the boot passengers side behind the wall (fabric/board covering).

I sealed all the nuts & plate at the top of the shock absorber with sealant. Do not use a Low Modular silicone as it will give you a sore head & you'll feel nautious for about a week or so( I did, before removing it). I used Stikall which is a silicon/adhesive & worked a treat.

You might not have the same problem though.

I never had any water in the passenger footwell.

Cheers,

Marv

Does it have a sunroof? I have heard of similar problems with other makes when the sunroof drain channels became blocked with foliage etc.

Does it have a sunroof? I have heard of similar problems with other makes when the sunroof drain channels became blocked with foliage etc.

[/quo

no my model has no sunroof it has c/c i have removed all the trim and it seems to be coming in from high up roughly where the tail gate bolts to the body work drivers side, also where the body meets the tail gate should the be any holes there or should they all have gromets or be coverd up there where two sort of sticky patches covering two large holes and the water was seeping through them sticky patches ? im lost

Dave,

That's where it came in, in my case.

I covered all the Nuts & every point where it was possible for water to get in. All around the plate & every possible entry point.

I used several disposable gloves & I put the silicone in my gloved hand & smeared it over everything. It does not look pretty, but it is covered by the trim & is effective. It won't really affect the shocker being changed either.

Thinking just now, it maybe as simple to solve as tightening the nuts first. incase they are slightly slack. Before going to the extent I did.

Please post your outcome.

Cheers,

Marv

My Rover leaked at the roof gutter - I pried out the existing sealant and filled it with silicone. Some types of silicone comes loose over time so it might be worthwile to get a car specific type.

• 4 years later...

I have a 2001 with a hatch. The spare tyre area and fender wells had two inches of water in it when I bought it. I unplugged, drained, got the carpet and material dry after two weeks. I have been watching it and the tyre area stays dry, but the fender wells refill with water. There has been rain every night for weeks.

I have noticed the fender wells fill up quite quickly, have noticed that when I put a towel in to soak the water, after pulling the towel I can watch the area refill with water. I wrung out 4 towels of water before it stopped refilling.

It has rained all night, but both sides are relatively dry.

Can this be filling in from driving?

I will add updates if I notice it filling from sitting, or just when I drive.............

Specific help will be appreciated.

I need to check the hardware, but I do believe all is tight.

I had similar with a 2009 new shape Avensis. There are vents near the bottom of the quarter panels, behind the bumper. The seal had come away so water was being forced up between the quarter panel and the boot side panel trim. It only happened while driving, as I monitored the water ingress over a night of heavy rain while parked up.

Maybe your car model has a similar setup?

I'll have a look under the bumper, but this weekend with heavy rains I noticed it fill up just sitting.

I believe the fender wells are U-shaped, with a piece of metal run down the middle to make one side flat. Probably pin holes between each side of the metal, which is when I see it refill in front of my very eyes.......

I'm about to go invest in some silicone, will check for vents first though. It does appear as if the rear most area of the wells is where it enters, then runs down (forward into a puddle at the lowest point in the well.)

Thanks for the tip

Hi,

I am having having exactly the same problem. In my rubber stopper at the bottom of the well, I have made 3 holes which drain it while standing and also when i drive and water moves around. Will you please take some informative photographs when you do this. I shall be very grateful to you. I know this is a common issue but to be honest despite me promising to investigate this i have not had the time to do it.

Regards,

Waqar

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links