Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8vvti Mk11

Phil F

Hi,

I did not want to hijack Nick's thread below,but I was wondering exactly the same thing about the 1.8 engine?

My car is a 05 reg with the 1ZZ-FE engine,which I have been assured by two Toyota dealers,is still susceptible to the dreaded oil consumption issue.It has only covered 28,000 miles so far.

Has anybody here run a car with this engine,trouble free,for a high mileage,say over 120,000.

Cheers....Phil.

Hi,

I did not want to hijack Nick's thread below,but I was wondering exactly the same thing about the 1.8 engine?

My car is a 05 reg with the 1ZZ-FE engine,which I have been assured by two Toyota dealers,is still susceptible to the dreaded oil consumption issue.It has only covered 28,000 miles so far.

Has anybody here run a car with this engine,trouble free,for a high mileage,say over 120,000.

Cheers....Phil.

Phil

I suppose --- NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Cheers....Phil.

Hi, mine is an 05 with 32K on it and no problems but early days yet. I think the modified engines came in on a 55 plate - just missed it!

Hi,

Cheers....Phil.

Hi, mine is an 05 with 32K on it and no problems but early days yet. I think the modified engines came in on a 55 plate - just missed it!

Hi all,

ssid.....Looks like you are in the same position as me!

Its very interesting that,the lack of replies to this thread isnt it!?

Do we assume then that most Mk11 1.8 Avensis have been ok,or there have been many problems and the owners do not know about the extended warranty situation,or this forum,or simply just keep putting oil in it!

I must admit to getting a bit "cheesed off" with this,and am seriously thinking about getting rid.....

Phil.

I have a 2003 Mark II 1.8 with 53k on the clock and its not burning alot of oil yet!

I think its about my sort of mileage that they have tended to start burning..

Luckily mine is covered under warranty until March 2011, but if it hasnt started by then I think i'll be trading it in.

Cheers

Hi,

Cheers....Phil.

Hi all,

Do we assume then that most Mk11 1.8 Avensis have been ok,or there have been many problems and the owners do not know about the extended warranty situation,or this forum,or simply just keep putting oil in it!

I must admit to getting a bit "cheesed off" with this,and am seriously thinking about getting rid.....

Phil.

Hi Phil

I have heard there is a 7 year 112000 warranty on the engine for excessive oil consumption assuming you have a full or nearly full Toyota Service History but you won't know until you get there I suppose.

Hi ssid,

Yes,that is exactly the situation,confirmed yesterday by my conversation with our local,very helpfull,Toyota main dealer.

I think its likely to occur between 30-60,000 miles if its going to.What if you do a low annual mileage,and then 6months outside the extended period you need a new short engine,which would almost certainly render the car scrap!!

I think its a very poor situation,especially for a manufacturer with the "perceived" reputation that Toyota has,almost ridiculous.

By the way,do you like the car otherwise?...Any other issues?

Thanks....Phil.

Hi ssid,

Yes,that is exactly the situation,confirmed yesterday by my conversation with our local,very helpfull,Toyota main dealer.

I think its likely to occur between 30-60,000 miles if its going to.What if you do a low annual mileage,and then 6months outside the extended period you need a new short engine,which would almost certainly render the car scrap!!

I think its a very poor situation,especially for a manufacturer with the "perceived" reputation that Toyota has,almost ridiculous.

Thanks....Phil.

Sorry folks, not been on for a bit otherwise would have replied sooner!

Wait for it.... Mine is 2004 1.8 T3-X Auto, coming upto 72,000 miles and "touch wood" not had excessive oil burning issue, but trust me, i watch it like a !Removed! hawk!! Fully aware of this issue courtesy of TOC forums! I will be straight in there though when i see signs of it! Thankfully have full Mr T service history thus far!

This matter aside I have been looking at a replacement for hopefully some time in 2010 anyway. Seriously tempted by Skoda, not just Toyota! (Sorry!!)

Cheers

Mike

Hi ssid,

Thanks....Phil.

Sorry folks, not been on for a bit otherwise would have replied sooner!

Wait for it.... Mine is 2004 1.8 T3-X Auto, coming upto 72,000 miles and "touch wood" not had excessive oil burning issue, but trust me, i watch it like a !Removed! hawk!! Fully aware of this issue courtesy of TOC forums! I will be straight in there though when i see signs of it! Thankfully have full Mr T service history thus far!

This matter aside I have been looking at a replacement for hopefully some time in 2010 anyway. Seriously tempted by Skoda, not just Toyota! (Sorry!!)

Cheers

Mike

mine is 54 plate t2 1.8 around the 90,000 mile mark now i have had it for 18 months now & no problem yet touch wood with loss of oil, try to check it every week parked in the same spot

Hi again,

Thanks to the last posters,at those mileages I think you should be ok now...touch wood!

Do your cars use any oil in between services please?

Phil

Hi again,

Thanks to the last posters,at those mileages I think you should be ok now...touch wood!

Do your cars use any oil in between services please?

Phil

yes mine does, as is normal, a little oil is used, as per the owners manual, but def recommend checking it once a week like religion!

I have had mine for about 10 months and 11K miles now, and I think I have put three litres of oil in it..

It needs a little top up every week basically, but still well within what Toyota call normal.

I have to say though, I havent had to put three litres of oil in all the other cars I hav ever owned put together!

Shame that this issue plays on my mind and spoils what is otherwise a very good car..

Mine is just coming up to 90000. Have not had any oil problems, but i do make sure to check every week, or when on long trip, i will check mid journey.

Mine's a 55 plate with 65000 on the clock now. No issues with "the problem" ( hate to say it.... ) and I check weekly................

Hi ssid,

Thanks....Phil.

Hi Phil

No major problems with the car at all - very economical and reliable to date - only costs have been service items. Had it from virtually new (13 miles on the clock) and had new headlamps due to misting under warranty and brake shims fitted due to squealing (warranty) and of course the steering adjustment in a recall. I do check the oil every week and I am in the same position as you. I have a full Toyota history so I am hoping that even if "it" occurs outside of the warranty period there will be some "goodwill".

:rolleyes:

My 2004 1.8 T3-X has been looked after by toyota since new and no oil issues in 39,000 miles. I top up from about half way between min and max on the dipstick once between services.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.

ssid......According to the guy I spoke to at Mr T,they will not entertain any claims the day after the extended period!,so probably best not to rely on any "goodwill".

Cheers....Phil.

P.S.

Looks like there will not be any money left in the kitty for any warranty engine replacements....oh dear... :crybaby:

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Cheers....Phil.

Hi all,

Phil.

Hi Phil

I have heard there is a 7 year 112000 warranty on the engine for excessive oil consumption assuming you have a full or nearly full Toyota Service History but you won't know until you get there I suppose.

Hi,

Cheers....Phil.

hi there i have a 2002 1.8 which is using a lot of oil whats the reason for this and apart from using more oil is there anything ellse to wory about, is it bad for the engine

Cheers dave

Hi,

Cheers....Phil.

hi there i have a 2002 1.8 which is using a lot of oil whats the reason for this and apart from using more oil is there anything ellse to wory about, is it bad for the engine

Cheers dave

I think it's something to do with the bore liners, it's never really been fixed completely as some people who have had replacement engines, have had them re-replaced.

Perhaps thats part of the reason a new 1.8 engine has been fitted in the new MKIII Avensis, incurable problem? Afterall they were only in production for about 8 years, whereas the earlier pre-vvti A&S series engines were made in some form or another for over 20 years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links