Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1991 Celica Gts

rebecca1979

Hi everyone I'm new to all this so please bare with me. I have a 1991 celica gts, that i recently had a tune-up,timingbelt and fuel filter replaced and diagnostic test done on it and it still surges. No engine light on or any codes came on when testing was done, can anyone help me out with what the problem could be, it sure would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I'm new to all this so please bare with me. I have a 1991 celica gts, that i recently had a tune-up,timingbelt and fuel filter replaced and diagnostic test done on it and it still surges. No engine light on or any codes came on when testing was done, can anyone help me out with what the problem could be, it sure would be appreciated.

Start with the basics, i had a sim problem and done the same as you and in the end all it turned out to be was a sticky throtle body (hope it is this for you as all you need is WD40). At tick over does the engine run fine? does it run at around 900 - 1000 RPM? Does it surge when you accelerate or decelerate? Email me at justin.coward@live.co.uk for quicker responses if you want.

• 2 months later...

Start with the basics, i had a sim problem and done the same as you and in the end all it turned out to be was a sticky throtle body (hope it is this for you as all you need is WD40). At tick over does the engine run fine? does it run at around 900 - 1000 RPM? Does it surge when you accelerate or decelerate? Email me at justin.coward@live.co.uk for quicker responses if you want.

Hi, thank you for responding to my problem, and to start off with will I'm still having the same problem. So to start off with the basics, yes the engine seems to be running just fine and it surges when I accelerate and has black smoke when I first start it up in the mornings. Can you help me please

Thanks Rebecca

Right most likly carbon build up in your combustion chamber. need a good clean. Unfort have to take the engine apart and kero bath it. It could be carbon build up around the valves making them seat not quite right and letting air in at the wrong times. Also fuel can soak into the carbon and ignite later than normal. You will need a engine refurb to do this properly.

also could be your throtle body sticking. On top of the engine is tour throtle body. This is the metal cable going from left to right top dead centre of your engine, it goes in to a half circle wheel as such turn the wheel clock wise when engine is not running and see if it is a clean movement no tight bits, just use some WD40 on this to loosen off.

if none of these don't work give me a shout.

P.S. the black smoke is nothing to worry about it is just carbon being expleced from either the engine or exhaust.

1.check the ecu for any stored error codes - 2.bad running could be down to automatic choke not turning off fully ??? 3.have someone run some engine cleaner through before the next oil change.

4. was the car like this before you had work done on it ?

Throttle body is the easiest one to check as it involves no money to look( providing you know how to get to it).

You could also run some fuel additive through the system, Redex, Forte or the like. This will help clear gum + muck from the fuel lines/injectors. With continued use it will also help clean up the combustion chambers and valves.

• 2 months later...

1.check the ecu for any stored error codes - 2.bad running could be down to automatic choke not turning off fully ??? 3.have someone run some engine cleaner through before the next oil change.

I read your quote, Like most men you prefer a fit !Removed!. Question , but is it a clean one! LOL, thanks for the response concerning my celica, but I think im just ready to throw in the towel on this one.

Thanks,

Rebecca

(e-mail: catonkb@yahoo.com)

I read your quote, Like most men you prefer a fit !Removed!. Question , but is it a clean one! LOL, thanks for the response concerning my celica, but I think im just ready to throw in the towel on this one.

Thanks,

Rebecca

(e-mail: catonkb@yahoo.com)

a good hose down usually has them clean .