Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq3 Suspension Noise

davidu

We have one of the first cubes in the UK (having bought it in July last year). There is an annoying amount of suspension noise when traveling on uneven roads, sounding a bit like the exhaust banging against the underside of the car. Toyota Oxford acknowledge the noise is present and have replaced the rear shock absorbers in effort to cure it. This has made no difference, so I went on back to back test drive with one of their stock cubes. That also has the same problem/characteristic. I am told by Toyota Oxford no other cube owners have complained (but they say they haven't sold many cubes!?). The supplying dealer, Bristol South also say no other customers have complained, but have invited me to allow them to investigate. Oxford are also advising Toyota technical dept. I cannot believe we are the only cube owner to notice this (if indeed it is a characteristic of all cubes). Has anyone else the same issue?

I have a noise that when i turn left, sometimes the suspension sounds like ii is knocking, i think a couple of others have too (I have IQ2)

I havent told my dealer yet, but will tell them when it goes in for its service on the 2nd Feb. I thought at first it might be to do with me fitting aftermarket wheels, exhaust and suspension but if standard cars are having the same issue, then at least i know its not my fault!!

Will let you know what they come up with in a weeks time

Ours does it too (IQ). I am planning to get it checked out. I've already mentioned it at the dealership when they replaced the multi. display and of course they hadn't heard of such problem at all. (=usual automated answer)

First I thought the bushes can't absorb the stress until I could hear it perfectly at slow speed (10mph) when the roads were covered with snow and the noise was like coming from underneath the passenger seat area. I am still unsure tough. It is really difficult to locate the source.

Yep......Ours has been in for investigation and they found pebbles in the rear tray, this wasn't the cause as it still does it so it will be going back in to be sorted, it sounds like worn suspension bush rumble when travelling on uneven surfaces.

The only noise i have is the noise of little rocks and sand hitting the car in the back wheels... had the same on my yaris/echo

Ours does it too (IQ). I am planning to get it checked out. I've already mentioned it at the dealership when they replaced the multi. display and of course they hadn't heard of such problem at all. (=usual automated answer)

First I thought the bushes can't absorb the stress until I could hear it perfectly at slow speed (10mph) when the roads were covered with snow and the noise was like coming from underneath the passenger seat area. I am still unsure tough. It is really difficult to locate the source.

Nice to know we're not alone! It could indeed be the bushes and agree it appears to come from the near side/passenger seat area, especially noticeable at slow speed. Lets hope Toyota UK will acknowledge they have a problem and are willing to find a fix. I suppose it will mean that if we don't get satisfaction we should insist the dealers report it to Toyota and get one of their field engineers (if manufacturers have them still) to take a test drive. Shame such an advanced car has a basic problem!

I have an IQ2 and was also going to mention the knocking sound from the left side when on bumpy roads when I next go in for something (like the replacement of the mileage readout).

So I'm not the only one! my IQ2 makes a horrendous amount of suspension noise when on slightly bumpy roads....I just thought it was normal.....so is it actually a fault? I'll be mentioning that when I'm next in.

For the record - mine's been like that since day one....I noticed it immediately. When travelling over packed pockets of ice last month it was horribly noisy.

i have a cube from july as well. No noise from suspension at all. 2000 miles done so far only though. What sort of milage do you other drivers have that have the noise?

I have just under 10k... mine hasn't been like it all the time, no more than the last 1000ish miles? Hence why I thought it might have been because of my modifications...but looks like its not!

mine has been noticeably noisy since day 1.

tbh, I'm sure the Aygo suspension was less noisy....literally my 1st day of driving I remember thinking "*****, that's loud" it may just be normal (as it's ALWAYS been like it) I'll certainly ask Toyota to check when it's serviced next week.

I'll also be asking them if Toyota have changed the door panels yet....I want mine replaced (as they're scuffed all over due to cheap plastics used)

I get it on my IQ2 , I think it is the anti roll bar droplinks need tightening up , that is all. I had the same on my Volvo .....

Yep......Ours has been in for investigation and they found pebbles in the rear tray, this wasn't the cause as it still does it so it will be going back in to be sorted, it sounds like worn suspension bush rumble when travelling on uneven surfaces.

Well technician was told we have this complaint so looked into it while we had mpg thingy fitted.......he says he tested it on rolling road (oh yeah like that would tell him) and it makes the same noise as any IQ they have, also nothing is loose as far as he can tell...oh wow!!! So I made sure they noted we are not happy and said no doubt we would be back again and again and again till we are satisfied.

On another note he looked at our accelerator and its ok as far as he can see (seems to be his stock saying!), we will here from them when they get the call back ok to fit the 'extra' bit???

Well technician was told we have this complaint so looked into it while we had mpg thingy fitted.......he says he tested it on rolling road (oh yeah like that would tell him) and it makes the same noise as any IQ they have, also nothing is loose as far as he can tell...oh wow!!! So I made sure they noted we are not happy and said no doubt we would be back again and again and again till we are satisfied.

On another note he looked at our accelerator and its ok as far as he can see (seems to be his stock saying!), we will here from them when they get the call back ok to fit the 'extra' bit???

You wouldn't get a car full of empty bottles to rattle on a rolling road :rolleyes: .........Back to checking it out myself when the weather improves then :yes:

When mine was serviced I asked them to check it out

Mine WAS to do with my lowering kit.

'NSF Strut Top Mount bolts loose and 2 strut bolts loose, tighten up and check OSF'
is what was written on my Visual Safety Report.

So basically they just tightened up some loose bits and pieces and its stopped doing it now. Obviously if your car is not lowered, not sure what the problem could be but worth a check of the same parts.

Hi -I bought my IQ2 in April last year and since covered 11000 miles. Over this period the nearside suspension has become unacceptably noisey over bumps & potholes. It seems to be coming from the rear shock when it is under compression i.e. hitting the trailing side of a pothole as the wheel is moving out of the hole. I mentioned this at the 10000 mile service, a mechanic came for a ride and said it was normal suspension noise. The noise is not normal, it certainly wasn't there when we purchased the car neither was it present in the demo car. It really is spoiling the premium feel of the product. Interested in how other people will be tackling the problem. :angry:

Bring it to the dealer............have a demo from them for as long as it takes them to fix it..........their problem instead of yours!

• 1 month later...

Some update on this issue.

My IQ's noise faded. IMO the outside temperature plays an important role in this. When we had those freezing cold mornings it was louder.

10mph speed on a snowy road was enough to sound it.

By the way mine has around 6000 miles on the clock.

I've booked my IQ to check up on this suspension noise.

How about yours?

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have an iQ3 and have found no weird sounds at all. I live in the country and have pretty harsh roads but the iQ is just wonderful over them! I used to have a 2008 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Zetec, that used to shake your spine out over rough roads. Long live the iQ :)

• 8 years later...

Mine has been making a banging sound front nearside for 2 years. I have taken it to two different garages and they couldnt find what the noise was. They said to bring it back when the noise gets worse. It now sounds very loud and i am getting it checked out on saturday.