Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camry Sport V6 Suspension

Camry Kid

Hi all,

I have a 98 Camry Sport V6, its got really hard suspension, you can drive it over a 50p coin and you'll now if its heads or tails, then when my friend who works at a Toyota dealership commented on the size of the shocks when he was changing my discs and pads, he said they were twice the thickness they should be, so i decided to investigate further.

I used to work in a Toyota dealership and sell these cars used, so I know a bit about them, anyway, i've taken the shocks out and it appears that the shocks have had an uprated strut insert fitted in them (original legs have been modified). I then bought 2 new standard shocks from Toyota and fitted them, (apparently std and sports suspension are the same except the sports had lowered springs) however now they are too soft and bottom out, on investigation in the parts department it appears there should be some bump stops, so i have ordered them, but i am not entirely convinced it will solve the problem, I dont want it as a race car, but just as it was originally.

Can anyone shed anylight on this for me ? the Camry Sport spring kit is apparently obselete, and im not sure if my springs are the original or part of a kit that came with the uprated strut inserts.

Does anyone have some front shocks/ springs i can compare ? or know of any replacement springs, or if any of what i have said is incorrect ?

Im pulling my hair out.

Simon

Hi all,

I have a 98 Camry Sport V6, its got really hard suspension, you can drive it over a 50p coin and you'll now if its heads or tails, then when my friend who works at a Toyota dealership commented on the size of the shocks when he was changing my discs and pads, he said they were twice the thickness they should be, so i decided to investigate further.

I used to work in a Toyota dealership and sell these cars used, so I know a bit about them, anyway, i've taken the shocks out and it appears that the shocks have had an uprated strut insert fitted in them (original legs have been modified). I then bought 2 new standard shocks from Toyota and fitted them, (apparently std and sports suspension are the same except the sports had lowered springs) however now they are too soft and bottom out, on investigation in the parts department it appears there should be some bump stops, so i have ordered them, but i am not entirely convinced it will solve the problem, I dont want it as a race car, but just as it was originally.

Can anyone shed anylight on this for me ? the Camry Sport spring kit is apparently obselete, and im not sure if my springs are the original or part of a kit that came with the uprated strut inserts.

Does anyone have some front shocks/ springs i can compare ? or know of any replacement springs, or if any of what i have said is incorrect ?

Im pulling my hair out.

Simon

Simon

I've just had my front and rear shocks and springs changed on my 99 Toyota Camry V6 Sport, I got them from http://www.sasautoparts.co.uk/, I've had them fitted in by my local garage and I've had no issues since..

Ty

• 6 months later...
Hi all,

Im pulling my hair out.

Simon

Simon

I've just had my front and rear shocks and springs changed on my 99 Toyota Camry V6 Sport, I got them from http://www.sasautoparts.co.uk/, I've had them fitted in by my local garage and I've had no issues since..

Ty

Hi TY, im still struggling with this suspension, how much were your new shocks and are they still ok? is it still lowered ?

Simon

I have a 1998 3.0 litre Sport and the front N/S rattled when cold. I've just collected my order of new top mounts, bearings, bump stops and top/bottom insulators from Toyota. The top mounts have been revised 3 times, so get the latest design (there is a difference when comparing the old ones). It costs just over £300 for both sides (I've already got new anti roll bar bushes and links). The whole front suspension will be done.

I could've got the top mounts £25 cheaper from my local motor factors, but they may just be copies of the old Toyota version.

On inspecting the old mounts in the engine bay while still on the car, I tried to tighten the damper top nut thinking it might be loose. In theory, this shouldn't turn much because what it turns against is bonded in rubber (put a mark on the rubber just below the nut and see if it twists while you twist the nut - if it does it's probably okay and I wouldn't turn it any more).

Mine turned quite easily with on/off amounts of resistance. I think this is because there is a castellated design on the top road spring rubber insulator and it would be turning in the spring seat. I stopped turning it at a point of high resistance.

Surprise, surprise... the suspension rattle went away! BUT BEWARE... I reckon this will be temporary because all it's managed to do is shift the rubber around slightly to a less worn spot. You only need to turn the nut about 20 degrees and if your rattle goes, then the top mounts/bearings and insulators are the problem. If it does come back or continue, try turning it again. You may be able to do this a few times before getting them fixed because, although not dangerous, it's a sure sign all is not well. My steering also pulls very slightly to the left despite checking the tracking 3 times, so I want to save my new tyres and get the whole suspension sorted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links