Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Fluid

kingfisher

I have a D-4d Yaris which will be 3 years old in March. I have read that the brake fluid should be repalced,

can someone tell me why please?

It degrades in time. Water can get into the fluid and dilute it, lowering its boiling point so if you ever have a hard day's braking there's the risk that the fluid will fail.

It should be changed every 2 years (on the mk 1 Yaris at least).

Every two years.

I have just replaced it in a 2001 Yaris which - judging from the rust on the bleed nipples - had not had a change for 5 years.. All the fluid was clean and clear.

But on our Peugeot 106, after two years it goes all horrible and black...

Takes about 10 minutes per wheel when organised.

Ironically, brake fluid is the reason I (finally) joined here.

My warning light has been coming on and off when cornering recently, checked my brake fluid level last night and its low. Was going to top it up tonight but I think the recent snow has caught something (I'm not that technical!) underneath the car and caused a leak. Off to the garage I go.

Anyone any idea how much it might cost to fix a leak (or replace brake pads if it ends up being that)?

My warning light has been coming on and off when cornering recently, checked my brake fluid level last night and its low. Was going to top it up tonight but I think the recent snow has caught something (I'm not that technical!) underneath the car and caused a leak. Off to the garage I go.

Anyone any idea how much it might cost to fix a leak (or replace brake pads if it ends up being that)?

Check the rear drums, it could be a burst master cylinder inside.

Bob down behind the car and shine a torch on the inside of the rear drums. If there's any wet patches around there, it could be a leaky cylinder. Check behind the rear wheels aswell, where the wheels mate to the hub.

For the fronts, turn the steering full lock, and check the brake hoses,do both sides of the front this way. Check the callipers, bleed nipples aswell. :)

Check the rear drums, it could be a burst master cylinder inside.

Bob down behind the car and shine a torch on the inside of the rear drums. If there's any wet patches around there, it could be a leaky cylinder. Check behind the rear wheels aswell, where the wheels mate to the hub.

For the fronts, turn the steering full lock, and check the brake hoses,do both sides of the front this way. Check the callipers, bleed nipples aswell. :)

Cheers for that.

Not long back from Kwik Fit, they said EVERYTHING needs replaced and they would take £468 for the pleasure. I said no thanks, give me my car back. I hate being a young single female driver!

Came home and decided to top up my brake fluid anyway, went for a spin and no sign of the light. How long that'll last I don't know, but its a start at least til I can get to another garage or Toyota dealer.

Not long back from Kwik Fit, they said EVERYTHING needs replaced and they would take £468 for the pleasure. I said no thanks, give me my car back. I hate being a young single female driver!

Came home and decided to top up my brake fluid anyway, went for a spin and no sign of the light. How long that'll last I don't know, but its a start at least til I can get to another garage or Toyota dealer.

That particular company are famous for statements like that I'm afraid :eek:

Much more likely to be worn brake pads (the pads wear down and the fluid in the master cylinder drops) or a leaking cylinder. Have your garage/dealer inspect the brake pads for wear and get an estimate for replacing them and looking at the rest of the brake system for leaks

Kingo :thumbsup:

That particular company are famous for statements like that I'm afraid :eek:

Much more likely to be worn brake pads (the pads wear down and the fluid in the master cylinder drops) or a leaking cylinder. Have your garage/dealer inspect the brake pads for wear and get an estimate for replacing them and looking at the rest of the brake system for leaks

Kingo :thumbsup:

Aye, even though everyone warned me of it, I was attracted by the free brakes inspection with no obligation to buy offer. Having said that, I was also paranoid that because I said no to all that work they would sabotage my car! I think they may have dunted the bonnet too but I can't be sure.

I'm hoping that my wee car will last on my trip to Manchester via Stockton on Tees (and home again), and then I can get her to a few more garages for a look over.