Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Accelerator Pedal Recall For Europe

Toyota PR

There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

In case of occurrence, the driver may notice that the accelerator pedal is progressively harder to depress or is slower to return. A rough or chattered feeling may also be experienced when depressing/releasing the accelerator pedal.

Toyota will implement a recall in Europe for this matter. The details of corrective action and implementation will be communicated directly to customers with vehicles potentially affected.

The models and exact number of potentially affected vehicles is under investigation.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model in the European production. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Whilst this condition is rare we advise customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations (0800 1388744) for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

We’ll post further information as we have it at Toyota Blog

i have stickied this scott

Thanks, Steve.

I'll post any updates here as soon as we have them.

Firstly, sorry not to have got on here sooner. Been a bit busy this afternoon...

Here is the latest press release with info on the cars involved;

www.toyotagb-press.co.uk

29 January 2010

TOYOTA ANNOUNCES RECALL CAMPAIGN IN EUROPE

FOR POTENTIAL ACCELERATOR PEDAL ISSUE

Toyota Motor Europe announced today the recall of 8 Toyota models in Europe, to solve a potential accelerator pedal issue. The involved models and production periods are as follows:

• AYGO (Feb 2005 – Aug 2009)

• iQ (Nov 2008 – Nov 2009)

• Yaris (Nov 2005 – Sep 2009)

• Auris (Oct 2006 – 5 Jan 2010)

• Corolla (Oct 2006 – Dec 2009)

• Verso (Feb 2009 – 5 Jan 2010)

• Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009)

• RAV4 (Nov 2005 – Nov 2009)

The precise number of involved units is still under investigation, but may reach up to 1.8 million vehicles. No Lexus models and no other Toyota models are affected.

"Toyota's policy is to put its customers first, in all circumstances", said Tadashi Arashima, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe. "We understand that the current situation is creating concerns, and we deeply regret it. We would also like to reassure customers: the potential accelerator pedal issue only occurs in very rare circumstances. The announced action is a preventive measure aimed to guarantee the highest safety standards to all customers."

For subject vehicles, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This issue is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

Toyota has identified a remedy for this issue, and is currently pursuing a final evaluation and confirmation procedure. As soon as the countermeasure is confirmed, Toyota will communicate to all customers and other concerned parties the details of the corrective action and of the implementation procedure.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model for the models on sale in Europe, as part of Toyota's continuous quality improvement policy. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota Motor Europe is not aware of any accident resulting from this issue.

Toyota is making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns, to contact the nearest Toyota retailer for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

Well my car and my daughter's Aygo fall within the identifies groups :huh:

My car, even though it is less than a year old does appear to have a mild form of pedal sticking by way of being slightly harder to depress at times and just now and again will stick in a slightly open position which I notice more when changing from D to R or the other way :angry:

I hope that Toyota will send the recall letters to my daughter and me fairly soon :yes:

We are meeting with VOSA next week. Once we have the VIN numbers of the cars involved it usually takes 3-4 weeks before we get the addresses and can contact owners.

We are meeting with VOSA next week. Once we have the VIN numbers of the cars involved it usually takes 3-4 weeks before we get the addresses and can contact owners.

The list shown here is confusing because when I bought my 2007 model Toyota it was called a 'Corolla Verso' and now this model is just known as 'Verso' - so I cannot tell from the data published by Toyota if my car comes under this recall and therefore could be classed as dangerous to drive: not much comfort as I am about to embark on a major journey with my family!!!

I am sorry we can not be more precise just yet.

If you have any concernes please call the customer helpline 0800 1388744.

my daughter's AYGO also falls into the affected groups, so I'm now a little concerned about her using it .

Just ruddy marvellous..

That will be the 4th recall my 06 Yaris has had since delivery..!!!

That's in addtion to all the other problems i have had, some caused after the previous recalls were carried out !..

I will be claiming for my Fuel costs here

I must remember, as i have been told by customer services often when i raise an issue, that it's me and there is nothing wrong the car, and they are all like it..

What on earth is going on at Toyota ?.., they used to be a byword for quality, i have had 7 Toyota's and the last two, one made in UK one in France have been riddled with problems and in the case of the Yaris some never resolved !

I am totally fed-up with my time being wasted in this way

Just ruddy marvellous..

That will be the 4th recall my 06 Yaris has had since delivery..!!!

That's in addtion to all the other problems i have had, some caused after the previous recalls were carried out !..

I will be claiming for my Fuel costs here

I must remember, as i have been told by customer services often when i raise an issue, that it's me and there is nothing wrong the car, and they are all like it..

What on earth is going on at Toyota ?.., they used to be a byword for quality, i have had 7 Toyota's and the last two, one made in UK one in France have been riddled with problems and in the case of the Yaris some never resolved !

I am totally fed-up with my time being wasted in this way

Simple. Quantity and quality rarely go hand in hand. If the former Toyota President, wasn't so keen on quantity and compeeting with GM of being biggest, we sould still see cars with the quality we know from older models. Now let's hope that something good comes from all this, and the company will go back to it's original philosophy

Heh, miss d bus will be happy!

No more phantom car acceleration! :lol:

@Techy - Yeah it's a pain, but at least they are fixing it. I'm sure a lot of other car mfgs would see it as a minor thing and only fix it on a case-by-case basis. Ford and Peugeot had semi-famous cases involving ECU errors, which you'd think were more critical than a sticky pedal, but they refused to do recalls for years until they were forced to!

As for the reliability, 1st gen Toyotas have always been a bit iffy; Even my beloved Mk1 Yaris had many faults listed; It wasn't until the 2003-gen models where they'd worked everything out and it was to it's expected bullet-proof self.

The thing with Toyotas is it's the big bits that don't fail - The car will probably work forever! It's just those pesky ancillary things like... turbos... and seals... and the radio... :lol:

Having owned a Ford, I've decided I prefer it that way rather than the other way around tho' :lol:

I can't see what all the fuss is about, if it was such a big deal wouldn't this forum be covered in threads about sticky throttle pedals????

I for one certainly won’t be sitting here worrying ;)

There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

In case of occurrence, the driver may notice that the accelerator pedal is progressively harder to depress or is slower to return. A rough or chattered feeling may also be experienced when depressing/releasing the accelerator pedal.

Toyota will implement a recall in Europe for this matter. The details of corrective action and implementation will be communicated directly to customers with vehicles potentially affected.

The models and exact number of potentially affected vehicles is under investigation.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model in the European production. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Whilst this condition is rare we advise customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations (0800 1388744) for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

We’ll post further information as we have it at Toyota Blog

I take it that as my Aurus is in for service next Saturday the 6th of February that it would be too early to expect the recall work to be done then.

I can't see what all the fuss is about, if it was such a big deal wouldn't this forum be covered in threads about sticky throttle pedals????

People got killed. Sad, but not unheard of. What i would like to know is, why we don't hear anything about the people that got killed over Fords break issues. Or in fires in various american branded cars. Can it really be that Ford gets away with covering up and Toyota gets punished for doing at recall. Little late maybe, but still a recall.

I guess it's more unusual for Toyotas, plus this *is* a Toyota forum ;)

People got killed. Sad, but not unheard of. What i would like to know is, why we don't hear anything about the people that got killed over Fords break issues. Or in fires in various american branded cars. Can it really be that Ford gets away with covering up and Toyota gets punished for doing at recall. Little late maybe, but still a recall.

Find a European case and i will try and be more concerned.

You know, what has been missed here is, and i don't know about anyone else here, but who has ever had 5 recalls on a car in 4 years ?..

On my Yaris to date...

Headrest

Front seat side airbags

Foam parts in side pillars

Steering bolts

And now accelerator pedal.

Am i being unreasonable, in expecting better than this ?...

I am sorry, but i have owned many Toyota's, and from what i see in my own experience and from this and other forums and reviews is a drop in standards.

I have better things to do, than keep going back to my Toyota dealer, which frankly, is not a very nice exercise !

So Toyota, you can link me where you want, but i am not covinced, and you and your dealer network, have failed to fix problems on my car in over 4 years of ownership, and i have simply given up and accepted the situation.

Sorry this is a bit late - been up at the BBC most of the day.

Here's the latest info;

Toyota has announced its remedy for accelerator pedals on vehicles subject to a recall.

Details of the remedy were released today in the United States and Toyota plans to implement a similar remedy in Europe, China and other countries and regions, where details are to be worked out with local authorities.

In the accelerator-pedal assembly of affected vehicles, condensation resulting from cold-weather use of the heater or other causes may form on the worn surface of what is known as a friction device. If this occurs, there is a possibility that, in the worst case, the accelerator pedal returns slowly or does not return to its idle position. To reassure customers, Toyota decided on a recall.

The remedy involves installing a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the accelerator-pedal assembly that creates a space to reduce the surface tension between the friction device and a component called the pedal arm. The bar also strengthens the reaction force of the spring that returns the accelerator pedal to its non-pressed position.

Toyota will communicate to all affected UK customers and other concerned parties the details of the implementation procedure as quickly as possible.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota is not aware of any accidents in the UK or Europe resulting from this issue.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 for assistance.

I am sorry, but i have owned many Toyota's, and from what i see in my own experience and from this and other forums and reviews is a drop in standards.

I have worked for Toyota dealerships since 1977, we used to sell just a few thousand cars a year in those days, with no internet and not many ways of communicating with each other over numbers of defects and recalls

Last year Toyota sold over 102,000 cars in the UK alone, and with the internet, you can post up a problem you have had with your car in a instant. Most people only give you the bad news, they come on forums and tell the world how bad things are, when in reality, Toyota still produce a fine range of quality, value for money cars, that don't fall apart or breakdown everyday

All manufacturers experience recalls, not only car makers but food producers and even toy manufacturers. I'm sure that the recall will be handled sensibly and without undue fuss, yes it is an inconvience, but isnt that a small price to pay to know that your car is going to but right, even if your specific car does not experience the fault?

Please feel free to use THIS LINK on Toyota's blog for the latest information

Kingo :thumbsup:

Toyota do make a good product and have a much lower recall number than other respected brand names...

Recalls from 1992 -2010

TOYOTA = 128

MERCEDES= 192

BMW= 169

FORD= 201

VOLVO= 194

HONDA = 202

Interesting numbers, Uncle Bob. Can I ask where you got them?

Some more interesting facts from VOSA

Vehicle safety recalls are important, so it may be reassuring to know that in Britain they

are carried out in line with a strict industry code of practice that’s rated the best in

Europe. According to latest figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and

Traders (SMMT), the system is achieving 93 per cent strike rate in resolving the issues

involved vehicle safety-critical recalls, with all work carried out at no cost to the

consumer. This compares to just 20 per cent for white goods manufacturers. The

“missing” seven per cent is made up of vehicles that have been stolen, written off or

have left the country with no record

Toyota performs slightly higher than average in the UK. The body responsible for

overseeing the recall process is the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). Its

code of practice was drawn up by the Department for Transport and the trade

associations that represent the UK motor industry and complies with both EU and UK

regulations on product safety.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi there,

My name is Simon Stanleigh, I am a journalist working for Channel 4 News. We are looking to talk to people who may have experienced problems with a Toyota. Please call me on 0207 4304626, Thanks Simon