Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Accelerator Pedal Recall For Europe

Toyota PR

Hi there,

My name is Simon Stanleigh, I am a journalist working for Channel 4 News. We are looking to talk to people who may have experienced problems with a Toyota. Please call me on 0207 4304626, Thanks Simon

Well Simon I have had Toyotas on and off for the past 20 years and each Toyota vehicle has not given me any problems what so ever, hence why I came back to one and bought another when I retired, and thanks so far no problems.

It's a Rav4 XTR 18 months old now and 16000 miles on the clock without one hic-up.

Since I retired I have been driving BMW's for a friend of mine and he has an X5 (same age as my Rav) that has had so many problems, and he paid more than twice what I paid for my new Rav, so BMW can keep X5's and I'll have my Rav any day.

He all so had lots of problems on his BMW (56 reg) 740L with spurious errors from the on board computer saying the tyres were punctured or flat on various occasions.

All in all I’ll stick with a Toyota until I can afford one of these…

11-789-chevy-15.jpg

Hello Simon,

Not the story you want , I've had no problems with my Toyota AYGO throttle pedal but I'm glad Toyota are looking after their customers by issuing a recall .

Hi there,

My name is Simon Stanleigh, I am a journalist working for Channel 4 News. We are looking to talk to people who may have experienced problems with a Toyota. Please call me on 0207 4304626, Thanks Simon

I have minor problems with the pedal of my car but I have to tell you that I will not call you.... sorry Simon but I hope my TOC friends will think the same way as me, I would be disappointed of anyone from this forum did call you :(

....All in all I’ll stick with a Toyota until I can afford one of these…

11-789-chevy-15.jpg

I can see that it is a Chevrolet but what model is it :unsure:

At the age of 53 I've owned a wide range of cars. Last was a Celica, current is a Celica and next will also most likely be a Toyota. This recall confirms my beleif in Toyota. :toast:

Hi there,

So, according to my fellow Toyota Forum member, we should all just clam up and not talk to the media if we've had problems? We wouldn't want the truth getting out would we? Far better for all concerned if we just keep schtum!

Hi there,

So, according to my fellow Toyota Forum member, we should all just clam up and not talk to the media if we've had problems? We wouldn't want the truth getting out would we? Far better for all concerned if we just keep schtum!

NO.... I simply hate the way our media sensationalise the situation and twist the facts all too frequently.... as for the truth.... I suggest you read the press, there is enough of it out there or is it the truth, do you really know? No, of course not ;)

There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

In case of occurrence, the driver may notice that the accelerator pedal is progressively harder to depress or is slower to return. A rough or chattered feeling may also be experienced when depressing/releasing the accelerator pedal.

Toyota will implement a recall in Europe for this matter. The details of corrective action and implementation will be communicated directly to customers with vehicles potentially affected.

The models and exact number of potentially affected vehicles is under investigation.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model in the European production. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Whilst this condition is rare we advise customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations (0800 1388744) for assistance ahead of the recall instructions being issued.

We’ll post further information as we have it at Toyota Blog

Excellent cars my wife and I have had 10 in 15 years and never had a problem, very reliable, well made.

The Pedal issue is something that can happen to any car.

It is being dealt with.

why doesn't mr channel 4 reporter try and get a story of one of the 750 toyota employies thats about to get shafted instead of coming on here and trying to whip up an i hate toyota frenzy.

p.s. i could be one of them 750 people.

why dont you compare it to the same recall as audi in the 80's then some good might come out of it.

As you have probably seen - hard to avoid I suspect - we have been all over the news today.

Essentially we're bringing the mass media up to speed with what is going.

As before, updates are being posted regularly on the blog - click

Had Toyota's for a few years now and have never let me or my wife down.

My wife has a Yaris and had 2 previous recalls.

First time took about half an hour and they filled the car with fuel for the inconvenience. :D

Second took about an hour and received a case of car cleaning stuff. :D

Would much rather do the above every now and then,wouldn't you? B)

Have had Toyotas for years, been very happy with them and dealer service. It is unreasonable to expect any car or make to be entirely without faults always. This minor fault with the accelerator pedal does not detract from my trust in their product. They are doing the responsible thing and putting it right. What more could you ask?

I think the problem is being blown out of all proportion exactly because it is Toyota. If reliability problems or design faults with other makes of vehicle got as much press coverage as this Toyota problem, they'd never be out of the news.

pot.jpg

:lol:

Ha ha :lol:

It's true, though, some really dangerous holes in roads at the moment :o

Paul.

i agree. the media were complaining about how little the government was doing to protect car workers jobs!

that same media is now doing everything to damage the reputation of one of the manufacturers that has done a lot to save jobs!.

i work at Burnaston and although times are hard and most company's have gone the route of redundancy, Toyota have ask for only voluntary redundancy and a pay cut. (not nice but i still have a job).

the instances that have been raised (most notably the 4 deaths in America) don't even relate to the issue. i have had 3 cars that fall into the recall period and no issues with any.

instead of the media trying to 'get a good angle' they should be helping calm down the public.

we have had a brief with all the facts and i can tell you that if there is a problem you will be aware of it LONG before it becomes dangerous.

as i have said if everyone listens to the media then they could damage the company so bad it would have no choice but for involuntary job cuts (my opinion). people, listen to the facts and the instructions from Toyota, and ignore the sensationalised stories of the media. if they have to resort to soliciting forums for stories then there cant be that many people that are so worried they are calling them with their story!

well said dawesy noticed mr media man hasn't replied. ( i work in d/side) the people you need to blame for blowing this all out off preportion is the yank's. because they bailed GM out there doing there best to cripple toyota so people buy american cars.

well said dawesy noticed mr media man hasn't replied. ( i work in d/side) the people you need to blame for blowing this all out off preportion is the yank's. because they bailed GM out there doing there best to cripple toyota so people buy american cars.

This is my first post on this site ,the first thing i will say is well done toyota for looking after there customers no other company would go to lenghts they have indeed i suspect other manufacturers would deny theres a problem altogether.nothings perfect i fit combi boilers and they always have safety alerts.what about the ford wrangler?how many people died in them.it seems to me toyota are being hounded by the press for a quick buck and whats wrong with people that they dont now how to stop a car with a stuck accelerator, 125 MPH on a freeway ,on the phone to the police and they havn/t got the sense to put the car in neutral and press the brake come on they shouldn,t be driving,were tought to do emergency stops on our driving lessons clutch in and brake if its auto put it in neutral .i pick up my hiace van on monday not affected but it wouldnt bother me anyway i can drive.recalls on daft things i can live with im getting a new van becuase my old one which is in the dealers having a engine stall sorted this is the second week they have had it (its french)you know the one the same van 3 names trafic,vivaro,primastar.reliability is everything. :)

well said ^

It would be interesting to find out if the vehicles affected in the USA that have allegedly crashed are automatics.

I had an old Ford which whose throttle use to stick open. I’d be at the lights with the engine racing away, didn’t need to touch it to drive, just use the clutch and brake :thumbsup:

I cannot believe that such a fuss is being kicked up about this! OK, there MAY be a problem with a small amount of cars, and Toyota is going out of their way to resolve matters.

For reasons best known to themselves, the media are being their usual drama Queens and trying their best to bring down the best mass car manufacturing company in the world. Maybe there is a conspiracy going on, who knows. The reaction is totally disproportionate to the problem. Even if you ARE unlucky enough to have an affected car; chances are you are going to notice it sticking (or becoming stiff to operate) a little bit at first, before it becomes a serious problem. Even if you do find that the throttle sticks open, surely anyone who has passed a driving test is going to have the savvy to use the brakes and/or clutch (in an automatic, knock it into neutral) to bring the car under control. Part of the art of driving is dealing with all sorts of unexpected problems, this is just another one. If you can't deal with that, can you deal with a puncture? A child walking onto the road?

As for the poor family who died in California, I suspect there was more going on there than a simple throttle problem. He also had no brakes. As a Highway patrolman though, why did he not think to put it in neutral rather than waste time phoning the Police?

I read somewhere about people trying to sue Toyota as they are "too scared to use their cars now". For all those extortionists, I hope you spend a lot of money on legal fees and that you are left severely out of pocket as an end result. If you are too scared to use your car, you should not be driving at all; cars are not and never will be perfectly safe, there is a risk element attached to road use which we all have to accept.

Hold your heads high; Toyota! I am a recent convert from supposedly quality German cars, and my Corolla is a much better car!

I cannot believe that such a fuss is being kicked up about this! OK, there MAY be a problem with a small amount of cars, and Toyota is going out of their way to resolve matters.

For reasons best known to themselves, the media are being their usual drama Queens and trying their best to bring down the best mass car manufacturing company in the world. Maybe there is a conspiracy going on, who knows. The reaction is totally disproportionate to the problem. Even if you ARE unlucky enough to have an affected car; chances are you are going to notice it sticking (or becoming stiff to operate) a little bit at first, before it becomes a serious problem. Even if you do find that the throttle sticks open, surely anyone who has passed a driving test is going to have the savvy to use the brakes and/or clutch (in an automatic, knock it into neutral) to bring the car under control. Part of the art of driving is dealing with all sorts of unexpected problems, this is just another one. If you can't deal with that, can you deal with a puncture? A child walking onto the road?

As for the poor family who died in California, I suspect there was more going on there than a simple throttle problem. He also had no brakes. As a Highway patrolman though, why did he not think to put it in neutral rather than waste time phoning the Police?

I read somewhere about people trying to sue Toyota as they are "too scared to use their cars now". For all those extortionists, I hope you spend a lot of money on legal fees and that you are left severely out of pocket as an end result. If you are too scared to use your car, you should not be driving at all; cars are not and never will be perfectly safe, there is a risk element attached to road use which we all have to accept.

Hold your heads high; Toyota! I am a recent convert from supposedly quality German cars, and my Corolla is a much better car!

Excellent :thumbsup:

I can't agree more, this whole subject is boiling my blood. A fast lane blowout is a lot more likely and a lot more dangerous + i doubt any of these people who are "too scared to drive" bother to check their tyres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links