- iQ (Nov 2008 – Nov 2009)

- Yaris (Nov 2005 – Sep 2009)

- Auris (Oct 2006 – 5 Jan 2010)

- Corolla (Oct 2006 – Dec 2009)

- Verso (Feb 2009 – 5 Jan 2010)

- Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009)

- RAV4 (Nov 2005 – Nov 2009)

Dealers are going to be busy! :eek:

EDIT: The above dates are production dates and not dates when the cars were sold :thumbsup:

Toyota have finally confirmed which models are going to be recalled, they are:-

- AYGO (Feb 2005 – Aug 2009)

Dealers are going to be busy! :eek:

hello

for what reason?

cheers/Igor

hello

for what reason?

cheers/Igor

To quote Toyota Europe:-

‘Toyota Motor Europe announced today the recall of 8 Toyota models in Europe, to solve a potential accelerator pedal issue. The involved models and production periods are as follows:

- AYGO (Feb 2005 – Aug 2009)

The precise number of involved units is still under investigation, but may reach up to 1.8 million vehicles. No Lexus models and no other Toyota models are affected.

“Toyota’s policy is to put its customers first, in all circumstances”, said Tadashi Arashima, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe. “We understand that the current situation is creating concerns, and we deeply regret it. We would also like to reassure customers: the potential accelerator pedal issue only occurs in very rare circumstances. The announced action is a preventive measure aimed to guarantee the highest safety standards to all customers.”

For subject vehicles, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This issue is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

Toyota has identified a remedy for this issue, and is currently pursuing a final evaluation and confirmation procedure. As soon as the countermeasure is confirmed, Toyota will communicate to all customers and other concerned parties the details of the corrective action and of the implementation procedure.

A running change in production using different parts has already been implemented model-by-model for the models on sale in Europe, as part of Toyota’s continuous quality improvement policy. Therefore there is no need or intention to stop production in Europe.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota Motor Europe is not aware of any accident resulting from this issue.

Toyota is making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.’

How can it suddenly change from the initial story of just 2009/10 models (in other countries?) to now 2005-2009?

As I pointed out in the other thread, I think this problem has been happening for a few years now (not for me, but a few others), but because we're the UK, Mr. T doesn't take any notice of us!!

We do take notice.

Complex issue, but I should say don't confuse US recalls over floor mats with what is happening here with mechanical "sticky" issues of the pedal mechanism. The US have that issue/recall as well, but also the floor mat recall, hence differing models, time scales, etc.

We do take notice.

Complex issue, but I should say don't confuse US recalls over floor mats with what is happening here with mechanical "sticky" issues of the pedal mechanism. The US have that issue/recall was well, but also the floor mat recall, hence differing models, time scales, etc.

you mean - issue/recall as well

Indeed I do. Thanks for spotting it.

Just reads a little easier

Thanks

Yep! mines a 55 too, The reason I`m interested in this is because, the previous owner had reported a sticking accelerator pedal when they brought it in for a service, it states this in the service records I have.

Does any one know if it affects a specific part number? maybe I could check if I knew the P/N

We do take notice.

Complex issue, but I should say don't confuse US recalls over floor mats with what is happening here with mechanical "sticky" issues of the pedal mechanism. The US have that issue/recall as well, but also the floor mat recall, hence differing models, time scales, etc.

We do take notice - when you recall my Rav 4 SR180 why dont you swap those ridiculous run flats that I am now left with - why was there never a recall for those.

We do take notice.

We do take notice - when you recall my Rav 4 SR180 why dont you swap those ridiculous run flats that I am now left with - why was there never a recall for those.

My dealer doesn't ""recall"" telling me that they (Mr T's) will keep a spare wheel/tyre in stock for my T180.... Grrrrr..

Ah ha!

We thought you might be watching Mr PR!

Firstly, I personally think it is quite refreshing that you have made an input to one of our threads and would like to hear more from you on more subjects. I know you are in an awkward situation as it is not easy to avoid being drawn into any controversy that arises - especially where warranty is concerned.

Of course we are all interested in the sticky throttle issue but that sort of thing doesn't concern me because, a/ we don't hear any complaints about it and, b/ if we do get it, unlike the US guys we can just press the clutch. No doubt this recall will work through and keep the potential consequence at bay.

However, you can see that it didn't take long for the most emotive subject to creep in. These RFTs are far and away the biggest worry for anyone with a T180/SR180 and it would be very welcome if you could help these owners work towards something rather more satisfactory than the current "hit and miss" service wise but certain unpleasant experience as far as the cost goes. What makes it worse as far as I can see is that although moving away from them has prevented further problems and probably taken away a major decision maker for potential new owners, it does now limit the number of units in the field and prevents either volume bringing the price down or the willingness for a competitor to Bridgestone from making a suitable alternative with the same net affect.

Would you be prepared to meet with some of us either at your Head Office or some other chosen location so that we can discuss a way forward? To this end I am thinking along the lines of;

• Fixed price servicing of punctured tyres, and damaged BSRs.
  • A return of the "exchange wheel" system so owners can be less concerned about the potential disaster of having a puncture.
  • Extending this service to make them accessible out of hours.
  • Helping us source through your suppliers a space saver tyre that owners can carry with them. At the moment the only one near is the one from the Honda CRV which has a 63mm centre instead of the correct 60.1mm. This dangerous situation imposes the load on the wheel studs instead of the centre hub. Within your supplier portfolio you must be able to identify somebody who could produce such a wheel and that will no doubt be of interest to XT-R and current SR series vehicles.

Please understand that this is not a witch hunt or a slanging match but a way of demonstrating that TGB are genuinely supporting customers and rewarding our loyalty. I don't have RFTs but I do have concern for those that do and as you know come from an industry background from our previous discussions. Anyone that attends will be advised that they must not get emotive, only express their concerns and wishes.

Please give this matter your consideration and restore our faith as we do really like these RAVs but this is for many a point of real dissatisfaction.

Regards

Ah ha!

Firstly, I personally think it is quite refreshing that you have made an input to one of our threads and would like to hear more from you on more subjects. I know you are in an awkward situation as it is not easy to avoid being drawn into any controversy that arises - especially where warranty is concerned.

Of course we are all interested in the sticky throttle issue but that sort of thing doesn't concern me because, a/ we don't hear any complaints about it and, b/ if we do get it, unlike the US guys we can just press the clutch. No doubt this recall will work through and keep the potential consequence at bay.

However, you can see that it didn't take long for the most emotive subject to creep in. These RFTs are far and away the biggest worry for anyone with a T180/SR180 and it would be very welcome if you could help these owners work towards something rather more satisfactory than the current "hit and miss" service wise but certain unpleasant experience as far as the cost goes. What makes it worse as far as I can see is that although moving away from them has prevented further problems and probably taken away a major decision maker for potential new owners, it does now limit the number of units in the field and prevents either volume bringing the price down or the willingness for a competitor to Bridgestone from making a suitable alternative with the same net affect.

Would you be prepared to meet with some of us either at your Head Office or some other chosen location so that we can discuss a way forward? To this end I am thinking along the lines of;

• A return of the "exchange wheel" system so owners can be less concerned about the potential disaster of having a puncture.
  • Helping us source through your suppliers a space saver tyre that owners can carry with them. At the moment the only one near is the one from the Honda CRV which has a 63mm centre instead of the correct 60.1mm. This dangerous situation imposes the load on the wheel studs instead of the centre hub. Within your supplier portfolio you must be able to identify somebody who could produce such a wheel and that will no doubt be of interest to XT-R and current SR series vehicles.

Please understand that this is not a witch hunt or a slanging match but a way of demonstrating that TGB are genuinely supporting customers and rewarding our loyalty. I don't have RFTs but I do have concern for those that do and as you know come from an industry background from our previous discussions. Anyone that attends will be advised that they must not get emotive, only express their concerns and wishes.

Please give this matter your consideration and restore our faith as we do really like these RAVs but this is for many a point of real dissatisfaction.

Regards

Hi Anchorman,

No wish to dilute your point with Toyota PR, but maybe a solutiuon to a much bigger problem that would have a benefit in terms of volume production:

How about a spacesaver wheel for the whole range with an "ascessory" bracket for mounting it on the rear door? It overcomes the problem of the "tube of gunk" repair being unsafe for permanent repairs and inadequate for anything other than a nail in the tread area. As an ascessory it would not have to be on the car when you do your fuel testing so you could still claim higher MPG. OK, there are some engineering problems to overcome in terms of strength of the back door and visability through the internal rear view mirror, but surely nothing insurmountable? People drive vans all day long with NO internal rear view mirror. I'd buy one so that I could reclaim the boot from the steel spare wheel that the Toyota dealer supplied.

Ah ha!

Regards

Excellent suggestions Anchorman.

Come on Mr Toyota PR.

Just to let you know I've seen your posts and understand the concerns raised. Let me talk with the CR guys and come back to you.

We have been thinking how to have more contact/feedback from owners and maybe such a meeting is a step towrds that.

Ah ha!

Regards

Hi Anchorman,

No wish to dilute your point with Toyota PR, but maybe a solutiuon to a much bigger problem that would have a benefit in terms of volume production:

How about a spacesaver wheel for the whole range with an "ascessory" bracket for mounting it on the rear door? It overcomes the problem of the "tube of gunk" repair being unsafe for permanent repairs and inadequate for anything other than a nail in the tread area. As an ascessory it would not have to be on the car when you do your fuel testing so you could still claim higher MPG. OK, there are some engineering problems to overcome in terms of strength of the back door and visability through the internal rear view mirror, but surely nothing insurmountable? People drive vans all day long with NO internal rear view mirror. I'd buy one so that I could reclaim the boot from the steel spare wheel that the Toyota dealer supplied.

All for debate Chris - there are many ways of addressing this problem and what we have to do as a group is decide which route to follow. I see that in a seperate post that Toyota PR are discussing a meeting and will come back to us. There may be some scope to making owning a car with these wheels less of a nightmare if we sit together with Toyota GB. It should be a pleasurable experience and not a bad one. It will also make it easier for Toyota Centres to sell these things as it is only a matter of time until nobody will touch one with a barge pole. I'm sorry to say it but this RFT matter has the potential to become worse if we don't thrash out some of these problems.

Just to let you know I've seen your posts and understand the concerns raised. Let me talk with the CR guys and come back to you.

We have been thinking how to have more contact/feedback from owners and maybe such a meeting is a step towrds that.

Thank you.

Isn,t it nice to have a "Mod" on this Rav4 board who can talk plain "english" and not "bulls***" about. You have probably gone a long way to getting a solution with that one post than trying to go thru alot jargon with main dealers and their higherarchy. Good on you Anchs

Regards Clare.

Just a foot note I was driving back from Douglas the other day and my old T180 was out on a test drive, so as he was stopped at the side of the road I introduced myself. We had a long dicussion on the virtues of the Rav( I still get a lump in my throat when I see it) and he was really impressed with it -but the one thing he was not happy about was THE DREADED RUN-FLATS and this was why he was not going to buy it!!!!!!! Does this prove a point

[/quote

Thankyou

Ah ha!

Regards

Valid points put across perfect :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new Rav4 T180 owner - great car - love it! Except that I called the local tyre fitters in Hastings, E Sussex to enquire about putting new tyres on the dreaded Run Flat wheels - they are out of stock and have no delivery date at present for the tyres coming into stock. These guys also do all the fitting for the local Toyota dealer.

This is absolutely unbelievable - luckily I do not need a new tyre right now otherwise I would be stuffed! What are Toyota playing at??

So I could have spent 12k on a car that I cannot drive if I had a flat right now!

I would appreciate the Toyota moderators thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Hi Anchorman,

Just picked up on this thread may I thank you on behalf of a lot of Toyota owners for going to the heart of the matter with TGB.

Sadly being an cynical old git really dont think you will ever get a satisfactory response for dissgruntled UK owners as TGB will probably pull up the draw bridge now with everything else going on. Thought the RAVS were one of the few Toyotas that didnt have the accelerator problem. Loved being in blissful ignorance! Didnt appreciate that the floor mat problem was involved I got a recall notice on rubber mats last year where they said they might slip and jam under the pedals. Funnily enough when took it in for the recall concerning fuel mixture, if I remember correctly, Mr T Colchester asked me if I'd had the mat recall. Even they larfed when I said my reaction was "no sh*t Sherlock" as I chucked it in the bin. Think my mate with an '08 Prius is going to his local dealer tom to see what this is all about with the brakes on this model.

Regards,

J