Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall!

platinumpeebo

Some people on the Ducth forum I visit seem to be trolling news sites all day,

as they have come up with some news that might be interesting for you too...

The problem only seems to concern cars with an ELECTRONIC throttle.

So cars with an M-MT and/or the VSC/EPS safety package.

If your car has a regular bowdencable for the throttle there's no worry.

The recall ALSO affects Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 as they're made on the same line...

Then there's TWO brands of those pedal-assemblies.

One is made by Denso and does not have any trouble.

These pedal-assemblies are held together by

4 visible bolts and have Denso printed on them.

The ones affected are made by CPS and show

no bolts. These have two metal blankingplates.

This is what a possibly faulty one looks like:

img3808custom.jpg

The bols you DO see hold it to the firewall...

There's also a video from an American site:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Knowing this, it seems logical that there are that many cars affected

in the USA: they seem to drive automatics more than Europeans do...

Another thing that might be of influence is that UK-spec cars are RHD,

the pedal-assy might be totally different to be able to fit it on the wheelarch!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miss_d_bus

• Jan van de Wouw

• Toyota PR

• zakelwe

Some people on the Ducth forum I visit seem to be trolling news sites all day,

as they have come up with some news that might be interesting for you too...

The problem only seems to concern cars with an ELECTRONIC throttle.

So cars with an M-MT and/or the VSC/EPS safety package.

If your car has a regular bowdencable for the throttle there's no worry.

The recall ALSO affects Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 as they're made on the same line...

Then there's TWO brands of those pedal-assemblies.

One is made by Denso and does not have any trouble.

These pedal-assemblies are held together by

4 visible bolts and have Denso printed on them.

The ones affected are made by CPS and show

no bolts. These have two metal blankingplates.

This is what a possibly faulty one looks like:

img3808custom.jpg

The bols you DO see hold it to the firewall...

There's also a video from an American site:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Knowing this, it seems logical that there are that many cars affected

in the USA: they seem to drive automatics more than Europeans do...

Another thing that might be of influence is that UK-spec cars are RHD,

the pedal-assy might be totally different to be able to fit it on the wheelarch!

I would not be too worried, on manual hitting the clutch and on MMT going to neutral and than breaking normally will solve the problem. Also hitting the breaks will stop the car, one should just apply pressure constantly. Toyota UK has good advice that should be read just in case!

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/advice-to-custome...or-pedal-issues

Thanks Jan :thumbsup: Once again coming up with the information.

I've heard of Denso but not CPS? Are they Chinese? Is this another example of cost cutting by Toyota? :help: :( :rolleyes:

Toyota used to be dull but reliable, but now they are going dull and unreliable. That is NOT a good way to go for someone in their market niche otherwise it will be the Koreans selling us our cars like Samsung replaced Sony.

Interestingly the Aygo has a bit of character which may offset the reliability issues, but for other more boring cars in the Toyota line up unreliability will undermine years and years of good work, just to save a penny or two.

My MMT car doesn't have this sort of problem because it's too scared of 15 stone me and my size 11's. :D It's too busy catching it's breath rather than tugging at the lead like a naughty English springer spaniel.

Andy

Updated info and advice posted here

And while you are sorting this out for Aygo's under recall can you sort out the ones that chronically leak water as well that nobody at Toyota seems to care a flying %$( about?

That would be great, because it affects 10x the number of Aygo owners as the sticking throttle pedals.

Or is this once again falling on deaf ears at Toyota.

You guys really need to get your house in order before people start buying other brands. Your getting to be like British Leyland ;)

Andy

I've heard of Denso but not CPS? Are they Chinese? Is this another example of cost cutting by Toyota? :help: :( :rolleyes:

Sadly not from China, but from US company making the part in Canada. I regard stuff made in USA and Canada being top quality. So bad luck in this case, can happen to any one I suppose.

Quote from autoblog.com "At the heart of this latest recall are accelerator pedal mechanisms produced by Indiana-based CTS Corp. at its plant in Mississauga, Ontario. " Full story http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/report-...-recall-global/

Is there any way to tell when a car was actually built? If a car is registered in January for example, presumably it could have been built months ago?

It is now not possible from the Vin No. but if you cheque the headlamps they will have a date of manufacture and as these are made and delivered as needed the car is probably manufactured about 2/3 weeks later .

Is there any way to tell when a car was actually built? If a car is registered in January for example, presumably it could have been built months ago?

It is now not possible from the Vin No. but if you cheque the headlamps they will have a date of manufacture and as these are made and delivered as needed the car is probably manufactured about 2/3 weeks later .

That of course is not the case if the headlights have been replaced for any reason..........(accident damage etc)

Ours is an MMT, and I will take a peak at the pedal assembly to see which one ours has got - but as ever, top stuff Jan van de Wouw - is there anything about the Aygo that you DON'T know? :)

Ours is an MMT, and I will take a peak at the pedal assembly to see which one ours has got - but as ever, top stuff Jan van de Wouw - is there anything about the Aygo that you DON'T know? :)

yes, thanks Jan. You are a fountain of knowledge :)

An important point - my car didn't break over night. The problems came on gradually and it wasn't dangerous at first. At least for me, for a least a month, I was questioning my sanity over thinking the car was accelerating my itself. It was not until later that the problem became terrifying. Having said that, it might not apply to everyone.

On my RAV4, there is a VIN plate inside the driver's door jamb that has a VIN barcode, paint codes, interior color codes, and in one corner, the date if manufacture. Mine says 07/2008, so it was built in July 2008. The 11th digit of the VIN shows it was assembled in Japan at the Tahara plant.

Hey guys so is this recall for Sticking Accelerator pedal or Sliding floor mats ive had my floor mat slide foreward twice and catch my clutch pedal meaning i have had to stop and get out and re position it any advice cheers :D

Is the carpet located on the lug? as i said Mr T told me that the recall was because of the carpet. But you could always try double sided tap or maybe some velcro?

Yes the carpet is located on the lug so should be i expecting a call from Mr T since i own a 2006 reg Aygo :P

Updated info and advice posted here

And while you are sorting this out for Aygo's under recall can you sort out the ones that chronically leak water as well that nobody at Toyota seems to care a flying %$( about?

That would be great, because it affects 10x the number of Aygo owners as the sticking throttle pedals.

Or is this once again falling on deaf ears at Toyota.

You guys really need to get your house in order before people start buying other brands. Your getting to be like British Leyland ;)

Andy

I agree with Andy; we are awaiting delivery of our Aygo (due in the next few days). Instead of feeling happy and excited that we are getting a new car, I am worried about leaks and sticking accelerator pedals. NOT the way I expected to feel when we finally decided to buy a new car.

Come on, Toyota. Get busy and fix the leaks, fix the acceleration problem, and do it in a way that restores our confidence in these cars. Most of us drive our families around, you know, and it's lousy to wonder whether you're endangering your kids when you strap them in the back seat to go somewhere.

Is this only on the automatic Aygo, my manual model, 3 months old, looks nothing like the pictures. The pedal just goes to the cable through the bulkhead, no block with connector as shown.

This is our throttle pedal on our June 2006 MMT AYGO Sport....looks like it could be the problem type :rolleyes:

IMG_1543.jpg

Is this only on the automatic Aygo, my manual model, 3 months old, looks nothing like the pictures. The pedal just goes to the cable through the bulkhead, no block with connector as shown.

It looks like my car is OK, built after August 2009 and not the MMT model.

Ooops, looks like mine is in the frame for a recall, registered June '07. no problems yet but as it's an MMT model, I'm expecting a letter from Mr T at some point, according to the American press, problems could also involve being affected by mobile phones/masts, transmissions affecting the Management software.. cos it's a fly by wire system, :blink:

I agree with Andy; we are awaiting delivery of our Aygo (due in the next few days). Instead of feeling happy and excited that we are getting a new car, I am worried about leaks and sticking accelerator pedals. NOT the way I expected to feel when we finally decided to buy a new car.

Come on, Toyota. Get busy and fix the leaks, fix the acceleration problem, and do it in a way that restores our confidence in these cars. Most of us drive our families around, you know, and it's lousy to wonder whether you're endangering your kids when you strap them in the back seat to go somewhere.

With all the water in the foot well from the leaks, the accelerator has a bigger chance of freezing up due to all the damp (is that what they mean by environmental conditions?) :unsure:

Sorry this is a bit late - been up at the BBC most of the day.

Here's the latest info;

Toyota has announced its remedy for accelerator pedals on vehicles subject to a recall.

Details of the remedy were released today in the United States and Toyota plans to implement a similar remedy in Europe, China and other countries and regions, where details are to be worked out with local authorities.

In the accelerator-pedal assembly of affected vehicles, condensation resulting from cold-weather use of the heater or other causes may form on the worn surface of what is known as a friction device. If this occurs, there is a possibility that, in the worst case, the accelerator pedal returns slowly or does not return to its idle position. To reassure customers, Toyota decided on a recall.

The remedy involves installing a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the accelerator-pedal assembly that creates a space to reduce the surface tension between the friction device and a component called the pedal arm. The bar also strengthens the reaction force of the spring that returns the accelerator pedal to its non-pressed position.

Toyota will communicate to all affected UK customers and other concerned parties the details of the implementation procedure as quickly as possible.

Only a limited number of incidents have been reported in Europe, and Toyota is not aware of any accidents in the UK or Europe resulting from this issue.

Whilst this condition is rare Toyota advises customers who have concerns to contact Toyota GB Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744 for assistance.

problems could also involve being affected by mobile phones/masts, transmissions affecting the Management software.. cos it's a fly by wire system, :blink:

Haven't you heard using the phone whilst driving is dangerous...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links