Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall!

platinumpeebo

I took delivery of my new MMT on 18th January and it's got the 'dodgy' pedal. I contacted the dealer to ask what sort of timescale we're looking at for the recall and he just said he'd have more info tomorrow.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miss_d_bus

• Jan van de Wouw

• Toyota PR

• zakelwe

Sorry this is a bit late - been up at the BBC most of the day.

Here's the latest info: ...

Thank you for posting on our Forum and keeping us updated. I am sure many of us have found it useful to know - and by posting you have kept Customers updated as best you can.

Thank you :)

pedal_assembly-1024x791.jpg

I've looked and looked at this picture and its so vague, its difficult to see what this recall plans to do, is this metal plate going behind the throttle pedal or are they planning to dismantle the pedal and fit this plate inside the housing, if the plan is to dismantle the pedal I'm not happy with a precision part with electronics's inside being pulled apart in a workshop environment, as more damage could be cause or the part being distorted by manhandling.

If in long term Toyota are going to make a modified part to be fitted during vehicle production , i would rather have one of those parts than have mine pulled apart ;)

It's hard to show with diagrams, but we're gouing to try to make a video tomorrow to show what is to be done. It won't be Avatar production values, but it might be cleared than that image above.

It's hard to show with diagrams, but we're gouing to try to make a video tomorrow to show what is to be done. It won't be Avatar production values, but it might be cleared than that image above.

Hello Scott,

This is as close as i can find but its not a UK model and not an AYGO, and there seems to be no room inside the pedal for a metal plate, so i guess it goes between the pedal Assembly and the floor pan.

That's a misleading video unfortunately. Too much (well meaning, no doubt) guess work.

Thsiis better but not perfect.

video on pedal from US

I guess you're right, i look forward to the Toyota 3D video tomorrow :)

That's a misleading video unfortunately. Too much (well meaning, no doubt) guess work.

All that guesswork wouldn't have been neccesary if Toyota had kicked their PR-department in when

the problems got known instead of now, when everyone seems to freaking out over everything...

You guys should have been more pro-active, educating your customers and

the press at the first possibility, instead of now trying to calm everyone down...

I'm glad to know my car is NOT affected by the problem, but it shouldn't have

taken me over FOUR DAYS to find out with the amount of effort I've put in...

All I'm glad to know my car is NOT affected by the problem, but it shouldn't have

taken me over FOUR DAYS to find out with the amount of effort I've put in...

I know the feeling. My local dealer told me today that I know more than them!

Rather handy that!

4 days is not too bad compared to how long its taken for the recall to happen. I'm sure I wasn't the first person in Europe to experience this issue four months ago, even though it felt like it at the time. Sorry for the ranting but its been a really scary experience for someone with a brief driving history. It went on longer than it should have to get it sorted.

I remember your experience. I thought (and I guess a lot of us did)

that your car was just a single case of a problem. Sorry :-(

Toyota (and all other manuafactors) need to realise that nowadays

people hit Google the instant they catch a glimpse of info and want

to know more. So make sure the info is readily available BEFORE

releasing these "glimpses" on the news and in the papers...

As well as the gas pedal sticking what about loose floor mats creeping forward and covering either brake or accelerator? That's been reported on here too and this is another recall issue in the USA, but not Europe.

I've had it where the mat has covered the brake pedal. If there is a recall then both problems should be fixed in one go.

Andy

This is better but not perfect.

video on pedal from US

Hi thanks you for that. So can you confirm then that if you have the Denso Pedal you are OK but if you have the pedal manufactured by CTS, as identified by the images on this thread, then you will be subject to a recall.

Our Aygo Blue mmt is used as a driving school vehicle but very soon it is likely that the Driving Standards Agency (we know from previous experience) will ban it for use on driving tests until either the recall work has been done or you have a letter from a Dealership to say that the car is not affected. So obviously the implications for our business are great.

foreversummer

Lets hope you'll be ok Foreversummer.

Jan, no one could have thought my car problem was the start of something big! However, when others mentioned it too, it dawned on me that I wasn't an isolated case. I'm mostly upset my dealer took so long to find the fault. Given my limited driving experience and having no idea how to stop the car in the worst case scenario, i wasn't able to describe the symptoms easily until i'd driven if car for some time in that state. I had to go out and test it in different conditions to see if it was my mats, radio interference, gear related, terrain, etc. If the dealer had been aware of this issue sooner, it wouldn't have been so hard to sort. For me, the crux is whether Toyota HQ knew about this fault before October 09 when my car started playing up. If they did and hadn't informed the dealers, that to me is serious.

I tend not to wade in to these things, especially as I assume I won't need the recall (manual Aygo, cable throttle) - unless they want to give me new carpets :P

I also heard that combined with this problem was that on electronic pedal/throttle/drive-by-wire was that if the brake is pressed the throttle stays open, something that other manufacturers solve within ecu software, automatically closing the throttle under braking - making a stuck throttle 'easier' to regain control of.

Just wondering if anyone had also heard this? I'm sure this was over a year ago when I first saw a video of the US problem with Camry/RAV4's etc.

I'd also like to comment on the poor way this is problem has been dealt with from a PR point of view, it reminds me of the Clio bonnet catch that Watchdog investigated. This is also a perfect situation for the big US makers to convince US customers that "USA OK" & "Jap's don't make reliable cars anymore" (which I don't think is true).

I've just had a phone call from the dealer from whom I purchased my new MMT on 18th Jan, and he says that Toyota are waiting to receive from the DVLA details of all the models which may be affected within the next day or so. They will be contacting all owners to either arrange for their car to be brought in or to reassure the owner that their car is not affected. They can tell from serial numbers on the parts which tie in with a chassis number whether or not an individual vehicle is affected, and not all CTS pedals will need to be modified, only those built between the dates mentioned on the flyer.

He said that he would hope to have been in touch again within a fortnight, although in the meantime he said to contact them immediately if I had any concerns.

So I think the dealer is doing his best - they've probably been inundated by worried customers.

I went out and looked at my 06 Aygo Black and took pictures of the pedal and under the steering Column and it doesn't look like what you guys are posting does that mean i dont have the problem pedal or do i have to remove the material covering to get to the part or does this mean i don't have the problem part that needs to be recalled ?

dsc00622v.jpg

dsc00620oj.jpg

Hi Miss_d_bus - I am a journalist on the Guardian writing about the experience of people who have had trouble with the accelerator on their Toyota. I have read your posts and I see that you had a very worrying time with it. I wonder if you would be able to talk on the phone this afternoon about it - just for five minutes. Perhaps you could call me on one of the numbers below.

I am writing the piece for tomorrow's paper so don't have much time, but your help would be most appreciated this afternoon. If anyone else has had a problem, please give me a call as well.

best,

Rob

Robert Booth

senior correspondent,

The Guardian

020 33532319

Lets hope you'll be ok Foreversummer.

Jan, no one could have thought my car problem was the start of something big! However, when others mentioned it too, it dawned on me that I wasn't an isolated case. I'm mostly upset my dealer took so long to find the fault. Given my limited driving experience and having no idea how to stop the car in the worst case scenario, i wasn't able to describe the symptoms easily until i'd driven if car for some time in that state. I had to go out and test it in different conditions to see if it was my mats, radio interference, gear related, terrain, etc. If the dealer had been aware of this issue sooner, it wouldn't have been so hard to sort. For me, the crux is whether Toyota HQ knew about this fault before October 09 when my car started playing up. If they did and hadn't informed the dealers, that to me is serious.

Please guys don't make up your own minds about whether your pedal does or doesnt look like the one in a picture.

Toyota will be issuing a FULL list of affected cars by chassis number, you willl then be invited to come to a dealership when all the parts are available, this process along with VOSA will take some time to complete, the easyest way to keep up with the latest information is to visit the Toyota blog site, click on the link in my signature at the botton of this post

Kingo :thumbsup:

Given my limited driving experience and having no idea how to stop the car in the worst case scenario

Stamping on the brake as hard as you can will stop your car most definately...

Even if you don't declutch it will, as you'll simply stall the engine. I know from experience :D

This is also a perfect situation for the big US makers to convince US

customers that "USA OK" & "Jap's don't make reliable cars anymore"

Too bad for them the culpritt is a part that's made by an AMERICAN company :rolleyes:

Anyway, Toyota NL has announced the final list for the Ducth market; the list only includes the Aygo

with M-MT and/or VSC. It explicitly states the Aygo with a throttle-cable (manual boxes) are not affected.

So Viper262, you're fine...

Anyway, Toyota NL has announced the final list for the Ducth market; the list only includes the Aygo

with M-MT and/or VSC. It explicitly states the Aygo with a throttle-cable (manual boxes) are not affected.

Brilliant! That means we'll be ok, too, (once the car gets here . . . ). Now I can go back to worrying about water leaks ;).

Jan, thanks for being on top of this and sharing what you know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links