Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise?

Lid`en

Hello! I`m new to this forum and a first time toyota rav4 owner! :) I`m from Norway and my english is`nt the best I`m afraid...but I wil try my best!

I have a 2002 Rav4 2.0 vvti, and the car is greate! But I think the engine makes a little bit to mutch rattling / knocking sound. When its cold, its making a little " knocking sound, this sound I can hear also when I acelerate or " push " the engine in lower rpm`s. 1500 to about 3000rpm (also when its warm)

The engine has run about 179000 km and had all the service at the toyota dealer. Is this a normail sound? any major problems with these engines?

:help:

Welcome to the club.

Noises are not that easy to comment on without hearing them but firstly, VVTi's often rattle for a few seconds at start up until the oil pressure is up to normal and the oil light goes out. This is normal. Secondly, the engine can produce a top end "cammy" noise if you listen hard which and the injectors make a loud ticking noise are also nothing to worry about. Any heavy or metallic noises should be investigated. If you are not sure either listen to another one or take it to a local workshop for a professional opinion.

Welcome to the club.

Noises are not that easy to comment on without hearing them but firstly, VVTi's often rattle for a few seconds at start up until the oil pressure is up to normal and the oil light goes out. This is normal. Secondly, the engine can produce a top end "cammy" noise if you listen hard which and the injectors make a loud ticking noise are also nothing to worry about. Any heavy or metallic noises should be investigated. If you are not sure either listen to another one or take it to a local workshop for a professional opinion.

Thank you for fast reply :)

I think it sounds a little like bearing knocking from the bottom of the engine, but I`m not familliar with these engines. I work as a mekanic at a skoda dealer, some of the older skoda engines makes the same kind of sound and those sounds is normal on these engines. ( also with chain driven cam )

So I hoped that the toyota engine had the same " normal " sound?

Have you heard of any problems wit hthese engines? like defective crank bearings, oil pressure problems etc?

No - its a good engine as long as it had regular servicing. I think you should compare it with another one.

No - its a good engine as long as it had regular servicing. I think you should compare it with another one.

I wil try that.

The servicehistory on the car is very good, so all the services has been done. I`m glad to hear its a good engine :)

Do you know if the gear oil and the front diff( transfer ) oil is the same on my car? and how often I should change the gear oils?

I wil try that.

The servicehistory on the car is very good, so all the services has been done. I`m glad to hear its a good engine :)

Do you know if the gear oil and the front diff( transfer ) oil is the same on my car? and how often I should change the gear oils?

No the gearbox and front diff are combined but the transfer box is seperate. They should be changed at 20k MILES (approx 32k kms). Here is a service sheet. They are useful printed and laminated back to back when doing your maintenance;

rav4_gasoline.service_datapdf.pdf

I wil try that.

No the gearbox and front diff are combined but the transfer box is seperate. They should be changed at 20k MILES (approx 32k kms). Here is a service sheet. They are useful printed and laminated back to back when doing your maintenance;

rav4_gasoline.service_datapdf.pdf

Thank you! :) That service sheet was real helpfull :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links