Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4d Uses Oil

fonziebe

My car now has 25000km. Oil was changed at 16000km and now the oil lamp indicates low oil.

They had to fill 2l of oil !

For a new car, I don't think it is normal ?

Does someone have the same problem and/or solution ?

Ok, the car has 5 years warranty, but I can imagine it is not healthy for other parts of the engine that are gonna fail after warranty.

2 litres in 9,000 Kms isn't that bad, if you check it more and put 0.5 litres every 2250 Kms it wouldn't seem so excessive. Mr T only considers oil consumption excessive its over 1ltr every 600mls/1000Kms. Modern oils are very thin and they do burn off when the engine is bedding in and during normal life.

2 litres in 9,000 Kms isn't that bad, if you check it more and put 0.5 litres every 2250 Kms it wouldn't seem so excessive. Mr T only considers oil consumption excessive its over 1ltr every 600mls/1000Kms. Modern oils are very thin and they do burn off when the engine is bedding in and during normal life.

At the moment toyota do have oil consumption problems with the 2.2 and 2.0 d4-d engines and they are aware of it. the remedy is usually piston rings (and possibly a new block if any mirrored surfaces are found in the cylider bores) but toyotas guidelines say the engine has to be burning at least a litre of oil every 1000 miles for the vehicle to warrant a repair. regards

At the moment toyota do have oil consumption problems with the 2.2 and 2.0 d4-d engines and they are aware of it. the remedy is usually piston rings (and possibly a new block if any mirrored surfaces are found in the cylider bores) but toyotas guidelines say the engine has to be burning at least a litre of oil every 1000 miles for the vehicle to warrant a repair. regards

Funny how vehicle manufacturers always seem to specify nominal oil consumption way above what you or I might consider normal or acceptable...

• 3 months later...

We have the same problem. Uses about a litre of oil every 6 weeks (1200 miles). Wait for the light to come on, pour in a litre, see when it comes on next. Mr T has had the car this week for another issue and couldn't find out what the oil issue was. Suggested we came back in another 1000 miles (a bit of a fob-off here i think). (BTW, the Yaris courtesy car was truly AWFUL)

Mine too!

I have a 2007 2.2D TR and although I love it to bits, it does rather drink oil.

Scared the life out of me the first time the oil light came on, but having spoken to the garage, I understand that the 'normal' consumption level is astronomical, so an extra litre or two between normal services doesn't seem too bad.

Cheers, Graham

• 4 weeks later...

Not 100% sure about the Verso, but on most cars the oil warning light is not indicating a low oil level, it is indicating low oil pressure (generally caused by a VERY low oil level).

In other words when that light comes on your engine is already far too low on oil and suffering oil starvation & therefore damaging itself. So you should never just wait for the light to come on before checking/topping up with oil. Check it once every 500 miles to start with & then once you get an idea as to how much it is using, once every 1000 miles or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Not 100% sure about the Verso, but on most cars the oil warning light is not indicating a low oil level, it is indicating low oil pressure (generally caused by a VERY low oil level).

In other words when that light comes on your engine is already far too low on oil and suffering oil starvation & therefore damaging itself. So you should never just wait for the light to come on before checking/topping up with oil. Check it once every 500 miles to start with & then once you get an idea as to how much it is using, once every 1000 miles or so.

people with any consionce would check their oil weekly or at every fuel tank fill

waiting for the light is dancing with the devil

then u wonder why your engine is knackered

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links