Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Advice Needed

Stevet1138

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a problem I am facing with my Auris.

I picked the car in question up last Wednesday from my dealer, It is a 58 plate 1.4 petrol T3 with 3800 on the clock.

Now my problem is that I find that the car is far to sluggish and unresponsive for my use and after taking on the motorway yesterday I was horrified at the lack of power it had. I know what you are tinking why did you buy the car in the first place, well I was not able to have a test drive in it due to it not haveing been "RAC'd". I did however have Auris a few months ago over a weekend and really liked it, I was under the impression this was a 1.4 but it turns out this was really a 1.6.

I did get a courtesy call from the dealer yesterday asking if everything was okay, so I informed them that I think we have the wrong engine size for my use and am very unhappy with the car and wish to change it. I did point out that I had not been offered a test drive and the dealer responded with "yes, thats right you didn't but you did ask for a 1.4". There is no point mentioning the above point about the loan car I had a few months ago as that is by the by.

This has made me look and fell a complete idiot and can't really believe that I want to change a car after only 4 /5 days!!!

I have been asked to see how I feel in a weeks time and to get back to them. A week is not going to make any difference I can tell you now, so I'm going to leave it until Tuesday and give them a call - the sooner I can sort this the better.

Now my question is does anyone have any idea of how I can change the car - would I need to trade it in and start again (finance etc.) or is there another way I can deal with this?

I really, really do not want to keep it, and am considering either a 1.6 (07/57) or the 2.0 deisel - can anyone comment on what the deisel is like?

Any help would be greatly appriechiated.

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a problem I am facing with my Auris.

I picked the car in question up last Wednesday from my dealer, It is a 58 plate 1.4 petrol T3 with 3800 on the clock.

Now my problem is that I find that the car is far to sluggish and unresponsive for my use and after taking on the motorway yesterday I was horrified at the lack of power it had. I know what you are tinking why did you buy the car in the first place, well I was not able to have a test drive in it due to it not haveing been "RAC'd". I did however have Auris a few months ago over a weekend and really liked it, I was under the impression this was a 1.4 but it turns out this was really a 1.6.

I did get a courtesy call from the dealer yesterday asking if everything was okay, so I informed them that I think we have the wrong engine size for my use and am very unhappy with the car and wish to change it. I did point out that I had not been offered a test drive and the dealer responded with "yes, thats right you didn't but you did ask for a 1.4". There is no point mentioning the above point about the loan car I had a few months ago as that is by the by.

This has made me look and fell a complete idiot and can't really believe that I want to change a car after only 4 /5 days!!!

I have been asked to see how I feel in a weeks time and to get back to them. A week is not going to make any difference I can tell you now, so I'm going to leave it until Tuesday and give them a call - the sooner I can sort this the better.

Now my question is does anyone have any idea of how I can change the car - would I need to trade it in and start again (finance etc.) or is there another way I can deal with this?

I really, really do not want to keep it, and am considering either a 1.6 (07/57) or the 2.0 deisel - can anyone comment on what the deisel is like?

Any help would be greatly appriechiated.

If I am right TOYOTA dealers do a less than 500 mile / 30days full refund if you are not happy, The dealer we used did this so you should be ok. I would test drive both but IMO it would be the diesel all the way.

Thaks for the info. Is there anywhere I can find out the details of the 500 miles / 30 days refund you mentioned?

Your car has only 3800, it's a new car;before you get maximum output of your engine, you have to run it properly. Think more,your engine has almost 100 bhp, it can not be lazy. My car that has the same engine as yours, never made me shameful, even it's loaded with 4 occupants with their luggages in the trunk. So you have to run the engine more and more, and after aprox. 10 000 kms you will get the maximum output. After I got these kms, my engine asks 6-th and 7-th gear (without any exaggeration), so I reached the manufacturer specifications. If you want to drive in an economic way speed the engine 2300...2700 rpm, if you want performance don't hesitate to speed at 5500...6000! I'm sure you will be happy with your Auris. Good luck with your new car.

All the bests,

Tav

You have a full right to exchange the vehiicle if you are not happy with it within 30 days:

Complete peace of mind

With Toyota Approved, your car comes complete with a pre-delivery check, a mileage check, RAC Roadside Assistance, and a 30 day no-quibble exchange plan. All Toyota Approved vehicles have been thoroughly investigated to check their history. We have increased the vehicle age eligibility of used Toyota vehicles on the scheme from 5 years and 60,000 miles, to seven years with no upper mileage limit, to offer you even greater peace of mind.

This can be found on: http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...rch&id=Auto Assured

Ring them ASAP tomorrow. dont leave it too late. You are within your rights!! :thumbsup:

If they arent complying, contact the finance company.

ABZ-T2

Great thanks for all of the quick replies!!

I know that the 2.0 and 2.2 desiel and the 1.4 petrol have been removed. I am looking for a 07 through to 58 plate.

I expect that even in a car that has done only 3800 miles that when driving on the motorway that I can get more than 60mph out of it! By that I mean that it was sluggish getting up to this speed to try and get it to 70 was painful. I tried to overtake doing 65 and there was just nothing there, no power only a very slow accelaration.

to ABZ-T2 thanks for posting the link, I will be printing this off and speaking to the dealer in the morning.

The more I think about it the more I heading towards the 2.0 desiel (never had a desiel before and the only one I have ever driven was a Golf 2.0DT GTI that I hired last Jan for the weekend) - whats the performance like on one this say compared to the 2.2?

If you was happy with the 1.6 then the 2.0d will be more than impressive for you and this does have better MPG than the 2.2, You will find the diesel very strong low down in the revs but also short geared in 1st and 2nd because diesels are low revving engines.

If you was happy with the 1.6 then the 2.0d will be more than impressive for you and this does have better MPG than the 2.2, You will find the diesel very strong low down in the revs but also short geared in 1st and 2nd because diesels are low revving engines.

Okay, I my be showing my ignorance here now, but does that mean that it will be quick from a stand still and say if you are doing 65 on the motorway and go to overtake it will repsond quickly?

Okay, I my be showing my ignorance here now, but does that mean that it will be quick from a stand still and say if you are doing 65 on the motorway and go to overtake it will repsond quickly?

Yes you will overtake very easily, the point is a diesel only revs to 5k max so at 20mph you change for 2nd were as a petrol you might make 30mph before you change. once in 3rd or higher the gears stretch out more to give you a lot bigger operating window and dare I say this window is a lot more usable than a petrol due to the high torque nature of the diesel engine.

[were as a petrol you might make 30mph before you change.

I don't think so , i can spit further than my car travels in first gear , i have to say the auris 1.6 petrol has the shortest 1st gear of any car i have ever owned and 2nd gear is not much better iether , however i did purchase my car with the wife in mind :lol:

[were as a petrol you might make 30mph before you change.

I don't think so , i can spit further than my car travels in first gear , i have to say the auris 1.6 petrol has the shortest 1st gear of any car i have ever owned and 2nd gear is not much better iether , however i did purchase my car with the wife in mind :lol:

It was only a guess, the CTR we used to own would hit about 35 in 1st if red lined

I can't believe i'm reading this, buying a car without driving it regardless of memory - madness, sorry its harsh but its true.

Good luck with the small print in the 30 day exchange plan, hopefully you can get a lucky break.

If you want motorway grunt without revving the nuts off your car then the 2.0 Diesel is the one for you.

I can't believe i'm reading this, buying a car without driving it regardless of memory - madness, sorry its harsh but its true.

Good luck with the small print in the 30 day exchange plan, hopefully you can get a lucky break.

If you want motorway grunt without revving the nuts off your car then the 2.0 Diesel is the one for you.

I have got to agree with Cab.

1. Why would you buy a 1.4 if motorway driving and power overtaking is important? ALso considering the size/weight of the Auris.

2. Why did you buy the car without being absolutely sure and know how it behaves at the very least?

Your 30 day exchange should be no quibble so i believe you should not have any problems.

You need to drive the car before you buy it, don't leave it to the salesman to tell you what you need or presume you know how the car behaves, and be clear of what you are looking for in the car.

I think the best thing you can do is to make sure you take the car for a good 1/2 hour spin down the motorway. Thats what i did when i was choosing mine.

Good luck anyhow.

Okay, I wondered when someone would make these sort of comments. Motorway driving is not the be all and end all, but we do tend to go down south about 5 times a year. We have just traded in our 03 plate T 1.8 petrol Avensis due to cat damage with the engine burning oil (we have had the engine replaced under the extended warranty), but Toyota refused to replace the cat at the same time (they should have done). Things were getting very messy and we decided to cut our losses rather tha spending £1200+ on getting it fixed. Thought we would try and be a bit more economical, thus the Auris. I would normally never even think about buying a car without a test drive (we did did sit in it etc). I suppose to some extent we just wanted to sort out a decent car. My wife does feel we were a bit railroaded into the 1.4 The whole thing has been a bit of a disaster really. Ah well you live and learn.

Having run a 2006 1.4 Corolla for 3 years from new, which has the same engine as the 1.4 Auris, I can confirm the engines don't deliver the best until at least 5000 miles. The Corolla replaced a 1.8 Mazda Premacy, and was absolutely fine on our trips from Birmingham to Scotland and Skye - 300 motorway miles per journey with the back seats folded forwards and a full load of luggage. I don't dawdle on motorways and have had Primeras, Mazdas, Nissans and Hondas from new - they all loosened up from 5000 miles. The Corolla would easily cruise at 80-90 fully loaded, and be OK for overtaking, etc.

Replaced the Corolla with a new Auris 1.33 in October 2009 - and this will do the same sort of journeys, and I expect the same from the Auris. With our next trip to Skye in May, the Auris will still be well under 5000 miles - it is currently on 940 miles after 3.5 months of ownership

This tale just goes to show that you should ALWAYS try before you buy. Cannot understand why people, when making such a major purchase as this, don't go for a road test - even if it is a new car they try rather than the actual model they're having. Not much sympathy really!

You have a full right to exchange the vehiicle if you are not happy with it within 30 days:

Complete peace of mind

With Toyota Approved, your car comes complete with a pre-delivery check, a mileage check, RAC Roadside Assistance, and a 30 day no-quibble exchange plan. All Toyota Approved vehicles have been thoroughly investigated to check their history. We have increased the vehicle age eligibility of used Toyota vehicles on the scheme from 5 years and 60,000 miles, to seven years with no upper mileage limit, to offer you even greater peace of mind.

This can be found on: http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...rch&id=Auto Assured

Ring them ASAP tomorrow. dont leave it too late. You are within your rights!! :thumbsup:

If they arent complying, contact the finance company.

ABZ-T2

Well really good luck if you choose this option and please do report back if this ever actually happens without you having to part with another large wad of cash.

You really should have test driven the vehicle first.A thing I myself have been guilty of in the past.

The bull***** exchange crap will never happen unless it costs you serious money.

Good luck

My wife does feel we were a bit railroaded into the 1.4 The whole thing has been a bit of a disaster really. Ah well you live and learn.

I hope you can get it sorted, well done for posting this up, if you were pressure sold then hopefully a mixture of consumer rights and the approved scheme can put things right.

Might be worth speaking to your local trading standards before confronting the dealer.

Just to clarify a point. The dealer in question were having a large shipment of cars that were registered to Toyota in for a sales event. This was one of those cars and no one would have been able to have test driven any of the cars so I was told as they had not been "RAC'd" yet. It was not through a lack on my part of not asking but being told no by the dealer.

Lets be positive rather than banging on about what should have been done. No doubt I may have neglected to check the engine size in the excitement of buying a new car and taking a test drive. I wish I was perfect.

I have to agree with the previous informed comments about the alternatives available, but having driven the 1.4 I did not find it to be as slow as described. Just a thought, is there something wrong with it, or as mentioned, does it need more miles on the clock.

With regard to changing it and finance. If your got a personal loan no problem. If on h.p etc you will have to tell the loan company and re finance the replacement vehicle.

Try not to act in haste.

Best wishes.

A quick update:

I have managed to arrange an exchange under the 30 day no quibble replacement plan. It was not at all as difficult as I feared it may be, the dealer was very good (I had however already called Customer Relations at Toyota to check the terms and conditions). This means no loss of deposit or any other money etc.

Next, I have organised a test drive in a 07 (Aug) plate 2.0 D4D T-Spirit with 28K on the clock, again this car is registered to Toyota themselves. I don't consider 28K on a desiel much millage as a desiel should run and run.

A quick update:

I have managed to arrange an exchange under the 30 day no quibble replacement plan. It was not at all as difficult as I feared it may be, the dealer was very good (I had however already called Customer Relations at Toyota to check the terms and conditions). This means no loss of deposit or any other money etc.

Next, I have organised a test drive in a 07 (Aug) plate 2.0 D4D T-Spirit with 28K on the clock, again this car is registered to Toyota themselves. I don't consider 28K on a desiel much millage as a desiel should run and run.

Good 4 u mate. Glad u made the right decision. If ur not happy with it to start off with u never will be!

Just some advice - r u sure it was just the engine size or the car overall ur not happy with?! Have a think about it b4 ur purchase! U wnt be allowed another exchange.

All the best

ABZ-T2