Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina Lambda Sensor

Highlight

I have a 1997 Carina Xli and the engine managment light stays on.I presume it is a faulty Lambda Sensor.Would the car pass an MOT(NCT) with this problem.

Very interesting. My Carina too says it has a faulty lambda sensor / lean mixture sensor. It started to do that yesterday afternoon.

When that sensor is faulty your engine might not run properly and your exhaust gases might have too much unwanted gases. The ECU can't determine the correct amount of fuel the car needs. The computer ECU in the car use the lambda sensor to verify that the engine have the correct air/fuel mixture. If it is not correct A/F-mix the ECU change the time the injectors are opened.

If the MOT will be passed with that light on I don't have any idea. I would change the sensor before MOT, just to be sure it will pass and the engien run better.

To Highlight.

What have you got to lose by putting it through the test, may show up other faults with car. But being a Carina, highly unlikely, atleast you will know either way. Even a small hole in your exhaust can cause emission test failure. Good luck anyway.

Regards, Beagh.

• 1 month later...

My Carina E 1.6 illuminated the engine management dashlight in 2007. The Toyota dealer told me it was the oxygen sensor. I did nothing and the car has passed 2 MOT tests since. Maybe this is a fluke. Now the car has developed an intermittent hesitation, and if this is due to incorrect fuel management, it may not pass mot this time.

Regards,

Maurice

My Carina E 1.6 illuminated the engine management dashlight in 2007. The Toyota dealer told me it was the oxygen sensor. I did nothing and the car has passed 2 MOT tests since. Maybe this is a fluke. Now the car has developed an intermittent hesitation, and if this is due to incorrect fuel management, it may not pass mot this time.

Regards,

Maurice

Because the oxygen sensor is faulty doesn't mean that you have to have a faulty air/fuel mix, but it is bigger options that the engine is not having a proper mix. I have noticed since I changed mine earlier this year that the fuel consumption has become lower. I don't believe that I have changed my way of driving. My feet is about as heavy as before.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links