Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Me Or

PAUL W M

Hi all is it me or is the glass Mr T is using in the Aygo S--T soft , i scratched my windscreen scraping ice off .

It looked a right mess ,asked a windscreen fitter if there was anything i could do to fix it ,he said they might polish out with a special compound they use ,but that it may make the view thorough the screen distorted .

I decided to leave well alone ,anyway last week while going up the motorway a stone hit my screen and cracked it.

The crack was on the black part of the screen passenger door pillar ,a place that cant be repaired.

Went along to AutoGlass at Meadowhall sheffield and they fitted a new screen so no more scrached S--T screen for me,

got a quick look at the invoice that the customer doesnt get and the price of the screen was 158 quid cost to me was 50 quid excess so now quite happy

I doubt Mr T makes the screens, i would imagine they are sourced from an external 3rd party supplier e.g Pilkington

yeah it will be a third party who makes the glass, windscreens are made to specific regulations so i wouldnt think of it being "soft", maybe it was just cought in such a way it scratched it?

either way, you've got a new screen now =)

Hi all is it me or is the glass Mr T is using in the Aygo S--T soft , i scratched my windscreen scraping ice off .

It looked a right mess ,asked a windscreen fitter if there was anything i could do to fix it ,he said they might polish out with a special compound they use ,but that it may make the view thorough the screen distorted .

I decided to leave well alone ,anyway last week while going up the motorway a stone hit my screen and cracked it.

The crack was on the black part of the screen passenger door pillar ,a place that cant be repaired.

Went along to AutoGlass at Meadowhall sheffield and they fitted a new screen so no more scrached S--T screen for me,

got a quick look at the invoice that the customer doesnt get and the price of the screen was 158 quid cost to me was 50 quid excess so now quite happy

Wow! Sounds mad! What are you using to scrape the ice of your windscreen? A pick axe!? :unsure:

Actually funny this topic was brought up, because when I had my Aygo I also ended up with a lot of scratches on my rear and front windows, and I only used a rubber ice scraper!

This can occur when scraping ice off any surface. As the scraper passes over the surface of the glass small ice particles act as an abrasive (like little particles of sand) between the surface of the glass and edge of the scraper. Also remember ice on a screen isn't perfectly clean and will contain many rough particles of dirt. Take a handful of newly fallen snow and melt in a glass - you'll be surprised at how dirty it is.:)

Hi all

I can see that if i used an ice pick it might scratch my screen ,but as ionly use a rubber scraper it must be S--T glass

ive had lots of other cars and this is the first time this has happened

Actually funny this topic was brought up, because when I had my Aygo I also ended up with a lot of scratches on my rear and front windows, and I only used a rubber ice scraper!

Ha ha! Sorry, had to laugh at that one! A rubber ice scraper? How does that work then? Is it the same as a rubber truncheon? Pmsl :lol:

Ha ha! Sorry, had to laugh at that one! A rubber ice scraper? How does that work then? Is it the same as a ruber truncheon? Pmsl :lol:

Lol, it's one of those cheap Halfords one, for some reason rubber was the first thing I thought of :P its more like erm.. hard plastic similiar to a squeegee.. hard to explain, but it's definately not a pick axe ;) hehe

Ha ha! Sorry, had to laugh at that one! A rubber ice scraper? How does that work then? Is it the same as a ruber truncheon? Pmsl :lol:

Lol, it's one of those cheap Halfords one, for some reason rubber was the first thing I thought of :P its more like erm.. hard plastic similiar to a squeegee.. hard to explain, but it's definately not a pick axe ;) hehe

Oh! I know the one you mean. I bought one from Halfords for 99p. Its actually plastic! Its a 3 in 1 scraper. What I mean is the HARD PLASTIC part is to scape the ice off. There`s also a BRUSH side, and your right. There is a RUBBER part but this isnt the ice scraper. Its used as a squidigee how ya spell it to remove water.

Sorry I really had to take the *****. A rubber ice scrapper. I love it. When I read you sentence it conjured up Timmy Mallets "mallet" he used to use. In other words, absolutely useless. Tee hee :lol:

You are perfectly correct about SOFT glass!! The side-glass is the hard toughened grade that used to be used on the old zone-toughened screens, that went into little granules when a large stone hit it, but the laminated stuff today on the front, and possibly the all-glass hatch, has a plastic bonding layer inside 2 sheets of soft-grade glass. It CAN be cut-back by coach-builders polishing compounds, or even BRASSO, or toothpaste, or bath-cleaning fine abrasive cream such as JIF/CIF. I have some of the coach-builders fine-grade gamma-alumina polishing powder, that is essentially what BRASSO contains, but the coach-builders firms get a range of different sizes of powder, just as jewelers have various grades of diamond paste for removing scratches from very hard types of mineral-glass used on high-end watches. The best grade (sapphire), can only be polished by diamond. (it also gets used in the final stages of polishing metal samples prior to etching, to examine the crystal structure under powerful microscopes,-- preceding stages use the gamma-alumina powder on a wet felted rotating pad :-- straight info from a metallurgist!! )

P.S., I used that hard rubber squegee edge on the scraper, on the rear side-glass on my '53 reg Yaris, and it scratched right thro' the green tint layer, which was on the outside surface!!

P.P.S., BRASSO is really the same as "T-CUT", I have both. T-cut does a great job on removing build-up of stone-chip pits on headlamps of the modern plastic type (acrylic, AKA Perspex ). Finish it off with car polish/polymer sealant at least.

I have seen windscreens on other cars scratch easily,so don't just blame the Aygo.

You have to be very careful when removing ice.

1.Remove most of the layer of snow if the is any snow.

2.Warmth from heating system or de-icer for the final layer of ice.

3.Soft cloth to remove ice softened by 2.

the laminated stuff today on the front, and possibly the all-glass hatch

The rear glass is the non-laminated, hardened, turns-into-snow kind...

Someone on the Dutch forum had had his rear glass shatter upon closing

once (replaced under warranty) and someone else got a brick through it...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links