Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Economy Drive Light?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi there guys, have another question for the experts...

I have a 2001 51 avensis hatchback SR 1.8vvti...is it supposed to have a economy drive light on the dash pod? Now i used to own a 1999 S reg avensis GS years back and that had it! So curious as to whether its supposed to have this feature or not! Please let me know guys...especially those avensis owners with 2000 to 2002 models. Thanks

Sammy

As far as I know it should have, as it is a T22 model. I don't think Toyota took away it during the facelift, wich was mostly changing to VVT engines. Doesn't the manual mention it?

Hi,

Lean burn was only on pre Aug 2000 non vvti 1.6 and 1.8 engines - prehaps there is some different economy light on the vvti units ?

I think it's only on the earlier lean-burn engines.

The above are correct. Only the lean-burn engines have the 'econo' light. The 2litre, diesels and all the vvti engines don't have the light at all.

It is linked to the ECU and monitors the engine load and throttle position. When the engine is in 'lean' mode it lights up, but goes out when in 'power' mode.

It is only an aid which I use.

I was pretty sure I saw a econo light in my sisters 2 lit avensis when I borrowed it. It is the first gen of T22, but the 3S-FE engine is not a leanburn engine. It is a stochiometric engine that use the air/fuel mix around 14.4 or something. If there is no econo light in the VVT-engines it must be because they change the valve timing to get better feul economy.

I was pretty sure I saw a econo light in my sisters 2 lit avensis when I borrowed it. It is the first gen of T22, but the 3S-FE engine is not a leanburn engine. It is a stochiometric engine that use the air/fuel mix around 14.4 or something. If there is no econo light in the VVT-engines it must be because they change the valve timing to get better feul economy.
'BALIKBAYAN'

The green econo light is not any important light bulb. I would not bother with the work to replace it until a more important bulb goes.

The light is hooked up with a blue wire from connector 23 A at the combination meter and the ECU 13A connector, also called ED. This is how it looks like on the T22 Avensis with the 4A-FE and 7A-FE leanburn engines, according to Toyotas wiring manual.

Balikbayan, above are your quotes regarding the 'econo' light. The second one I copied from another post on a similar query.

I am going to check info on the 3S-FE to confirm the light exists.

Just a thought!!! :unsure:

'BALIKBAYAN'

The green econo light is not any important light bulb. I would not bother with the work to replace it until a more important bulb goes.

The light is hooked up with a blue wire from connector 23 A at the combination meter and the ECU 13A connector, also called ED. This is how it looks like on the T22 Avensis with the 4A-FE and 7A-FE leanburn engines, according to Toyotas wiring manual.

Balikbayan, above are your quotes regarding the 'econo' light. The second one I copied from another post on a similar query.

I am going to check info on the 3S-FE to confirm the light exists.

Just a thought!!! :unsure:

Balikbayan, I may stand corrected and that all the pre vvti cars had the light. My hand book for my car mentions it, but does not say it is for any specific models. Other features mentioned in the handbook sometimes states various models only. From 2000 onwards, the econo light was dropped and I think was replaced by the onboard computer. As I only have the 1.8 leanburn, somebody may be able to correct me about the phase 2 dashboard.

I guess it is not needed to know if you drive economical or not when you can change the valve timings and get a better air/fuel mix at all revs. A better air/fuel mix means that you use the "right" volume of fuel for every combustion cycle.

• 11 years later...

Hello folks,

ECO System

I have an 1999 Avensis 1,8, coming up to 300,000 miles and still going strong. Just recently the eco-indicator light stopped showing on the dash.  I replaced the bulb so I know that's not the problem.  Also the subtle surge in power you get when the eco system is overridden by the throttle is no longer working.  Does anyone know where/how I can check functionalaity?  Thanks..

I will have to check my archives. I could be the vacuum switch on the inlet manifold. Either switch has failed or the rod has detached. Here are a couple of posts.

Thanks for turning back the clock on this, K.  Given the age and mileage I guess planned obsolescence will be a factor now.  But I think Toyota pushed the boat out on this model as a flagship of the day; it just goes on and on and I still have the same exhaust system!  Back to the question; would you happen to know what fuse circuit controls the eco set-up, or is it purely mechanical?  The engine runs fine, but as mentioned earlier one noticeable difference is that when the eco system was working effectively the engine performance would noticeable increase when under load.  Thanks again.  

There is no separate fuse, since everything goes through the main ECU. There is a MAP sensor which I think works via vacuum.

I have some information on PDF, but the PDF file is too large to upload. Here is a screen grab of one of the index pages - image.thumb.png.dc0f4373a5f85c5ddc4a8cd764139847.png 

Can I add that when I had a few instrument panel bulbs fail, I did a test by swapping a known working bulb, to confirm it was the bulb and not the circuit. Then I ordered a box of bulbs and replaced the failed bulbs
I am  looking for my post when the rod that connects the vacuum switch to the inlet runners detached. I reconnected that and had a little fix that stopped it from coming apart. It worked until I sold the car over 5 years ago.    

Brilliant, thanks again for your time, K.  Yes, I too did the light swap with new bulbs and upgraded to 2.3 W from ABD UK; so no prob with the bulbs.  I look forward to you finding your vacuum switch post.

On a separate but related dash note; the yellow 'engine compartment' warning light has been on for a while but with no noticeable problem.  I can't trace this fault and, unfortunately my Avensis was off the line prior to the diagnostics port which, I'm told, was fitted to later models.

Best.

D. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links