Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bbc News Site Reporting Brake Issues

OvertheHill

The BBC website is now reporting the brake issues mentioned on other forums in the US and Japan. I wonder if we'll see a recall here for this?

Link Here

The BBC website is now reporting the brake issues mentioned on other forums in the US and Japan. I wonder if we'll see a recall here for this?

There isn't a brakes recall in the states or Japan.

The only Prius recall is for the Gen2 floor mats issue.

There isn't a brakes recall in the states or Japan.

The only Prius recall is for the Gen2 floor mats issue.

Also just reported on the Daily Mail website.............. :unsure:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...exus-crash.html

There is a feature or quirk of the Prius braking system, Gen 2 and 3, that is worth every owner knowing about. It has been discussed before and in great technical detail on forums like PriusChat.

Briefly, if you are braking lightly, so that the Prius is only using regenerative braking to slow down, and a wheel goes over a rough surface, manhole cover, etc, the car may detect that a wheel has slipped, and it will switch from regenerative to friction braking. In between the time it switches, the car will feels light and floaty, some people wrongly describe that it feels like the car has sped up. Don't freak out, don't let go of the steering wheel, and if necessary press the brake pedal more firmly.

I sufferred this yesterday going over a speed bump. I was accelerating to try and make a set of lights but then it went red and I braked right on the speed bump and the car deffo speeded up, infact I would say it surged (there was an increase in engine noise too). I braked very hard and all was ok. It was certainly startling. I suspect the car lost traction slightly which caused the issue. Its the first time its happenned to me.

I sufferred this yesterday going over a speed bump. I was accelerating to try and make a set of lights but then it went red and I braked right on the speed bump and the car deffo speeded up, infact I would say it surged (there was an increase in engine noise too). I braked very hard and all was ok. It was certainly startling. I suspect the car lost traction slightly which caused the issue. Its the first time its happenned to me.

Happened a fair bit on my Gen II on wet drain covers. However Gen III - 4000miles later - not happened. :)

There is a feature or quirk of the Prius braking system, Gen 2 and 3, that is worth every owner knowing about. It has been discussed before and in great technical detail on forums like PriusChat.

Briefly, if you are braking lightly, so that the Prius is only using regenerative braking to slow down, and a wheel goes over a rough surface, manhole cover, etc, the car may detect that a wheel has slipped, and it will switch from regenerative to friction braking. In between the time it switches, the car will feels light and floaty, some people wrongly describe that it feels like the car has sped up. Don't freak out, don't let go of the steering wheel, and if necessary press the brake pedal more firmly.

I get the same situation when i go over a cattle grid off the M62

The Prius issue is related to when the car looses traction. I was flying over a speed bump when I had it. Apparently the Japanese Govt has ordered Toyota to investigate.

Masses of very bad publicity for Toyota UK overnight - Daily Mail and Times really going for them - with the BBC not far behind.

Interesting that Toyota UK say "there have been dozens of complaints in the US and Japan over brake problems in the Prius hybrid car, but none has been reported in the UK."

So, plenty of reports right here. What does it take for it to actually count as far as Toyota UK are concerned?

Interesting that Toyota UK say "there have been dozens of complaints in the US and Japan over brake problems in the Prius hybrid car, but none has been reported in the UK."

So, plenty of reports right here. What does it take for it to actually count as far as Toyota UK are concerned?

I did report it on ours to our supplying dealer who just told me Toyota was not aware of any problems. I reported it only a few weeks after we got the car in July 09. They asked me to bring the car up to let a technician drive it but making this issue happen is difficult as it only happens intermittently, you need a pothole in the road just as your coming to a junction or traffic lights. But as Wooski says it really is scary when it happens.

Part of the problem here is that its an issue with the ABS and VSC. To deny there is a UK braking issue when customers in the UK are seeing the same behaviour is splitting hairs IMHO. We are seeing the same issue!

What I think is more interesting is the report in the Japanese press that Toyota changed the software on the Prius for cars produced after last month. Weather this is for just Japanese market cars or all is not known.

Its so replicatable I can't believe Toyota can't work out a way to minimise it.

However I have only experienced it once in 6 months / 4,000 miles.

Link to the story on PriusChat HERE

It would appear you're all wrong - me included.

Just rung Toyota and their official recall line in an African call centre told me there is NO problem in the UK and that it doesn't apply to UK cars! When I pointed out the latest news stories and that I begged to differ with him, he hung up! lol

Nice customer service Toyota - or lack thereof!

Google found this link on BBC site...

3 Feb 2010 ... Toyota's problems deepen after drivers say that the latest version of the Prius hybrid car has brake faults.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8495132.stm

Can't see what it says until I get home because it is for UK eyes only. :( :(

Are these UK drivers or the Japan/USA ones?

And this one..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/849822..._medium=twitter

Latest...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8497471.stm

New BBC Story - Toyota Prius in new blow as US opens brakes inquiry

The big problem for Toyota here is that they've admitted there IS a problem and have changed the software for new cars. How can you not update the old cars? It just doesnt make sense that they think they can get away without doing this in the current climate.

The big problem for Toyota here is that they've admitted there IS a problem and have changed the software for new cars. How can you not update the old cars? It just doesnt make sense that they think they can get away without doing this in the current climate.

Will be interesting to know what the mod was.

If they have throttled back the regen bracking, will that make the car less mpg friendly?

Spot on !!!

Toyota recalls New Prius in Japan and US only for brake upgrade:

Breaking on Priuschat:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-n...rake-issue.html

Nothing official out of Toyota yet except for a very minimal statement, but the Nikkei news service in Japan is reporting that Toyota will recall 270,000 3rd generation Prius hybrids that have been sold since the May launch of the 2010 model.

As we've reported a couple of times on PriusChat, Toyota performed a software update to the Prius brake computer system and it has been in effect for Prius models rolling off the line since January. But Prius hybrids sold between May and December do not have the updated brake ECU software, yet. This recall is to update the rest of the 3rd generation 2010 Priuses with the new software.

This type of software update is usually handled via a SSC, or Special Service Campaign, but given all of the attention that Toyota has been receiving from the NHTSA it's not entirely surprising that this issue has been pushed to the top of the pile so fast.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links