Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Swap Out Aygos Terrible Front Speakers

antecedo

Hey there. I'm new here but I decided to join after realising I'm going to mod just about everything in my new Aygo :) Starting with the speaker system. Please excuse the simplistic instructions, i have picture steps for every bit, so skip ahead if you feel you can.

Also these pictures are HUGE. so it will take a bit of time for the Board to reduce them in size.

**moderators, if this can be pinned or maybe there is another section this should be in please do it. many thanks**

I chose to just modify the front 2 Speakers for the moment, as they sound the worst, the Speakers are located underneath two panels on top of the dash board:

02022010014.jpg

to get this cover off, place a flat headed screwdriver into the slot and prize it against the dashboard like so:

02022010015.jpg

The plastic cover should then come off with ease, revealing the source of the bad audio.

02022010016.jpg

The Speakers are held in place by 2 srews, to unsrew these you either need to take your time with a medium sizes screw driver or if you are lucky you could use a short one whic should fit well, I found that pressing hard on the screwdriver with my left thumb while turning the screwdriver with my right hand got the screw closest to the windscreen out slowly but surely, you shouldn't have any problems with the one closest the the seat.

02022010018.jpg

Once you have undone the 2 bolts, the speaker just lifts out, you will notice that it is connected by a white adapter, there is a release button on the adapter, so hold it and wiggle the connections free:

02022010020.jpg

I decided that i was going to solder my connections to the speakers so i snipped the wires using a pair of wire snips:

02022010021.jpg

Finally we have the speaker free of the car, whether you snipped the wires or released the plug, you get to the same point.

02022010022.jpg

The only speakers that will fit without modification to the car are 10cm/4inch speakers. Make absolutely certain thats what you buy, or you will have to get the hack saw out! ;)

Strip the wires that you are going to connect to your speaker: (if you are using the adapter just plug it in and make sure it works before bolting back in)

02022010023.jpg

Now, since the Aygo is so small the speakers are held in place by only 2 bolts as you saw earlier... well, that gives us a problem because most speakers have 4 fixing holes, and this will not fit in the Aygo's dinky conpartments, so the solution is to chop 2 off. MAKE SURE YOU CUT THE CORRECT ONES OFF! (as long as they are diagonally opposite each other your OK. use common sense! :) I just used the wire cutters:

02022010024.jpg

After you have done this, your speaker should look something like this:

02022010025.jpg

Ok, so our speaker can now fit into the Aygo, so we take the wires that we stripped and we put them through the holes on the speaker contacts, if your speaker contacts do not have holes, that's fine, but it will be a little more difficult for you to solder. once you have the wires on, check they are not touching and check the speaker is getting output from the stereo. if you hear what is supposed to be playing then great, if not, check your wires are not crossed or touching one another and try again.

02022010026.jpg

I used a gas soldering iron and lead free solder. Be careful and solder with the window OPEN!!!

02022010027.jpg

So, after much faffing about you have your wires soldered on the speaker contacts, make sure you have not bridged the gap between the contacts with anything metal or things will go bad from here... so fire up your stereo and check out the top quality sound :)

02022010028.jpg

Put the speaker back in place and bolt securely. :)

02022010029.jpg

*TRY* and put the cover back on but do not force it!

02022010031.jpg

You might find, like I did that the cover will not go on with your new and improved speaker system installed if this happens then here is what you need to do: CUT THE UNDERSIDE of the speaker cover where it is making contact with the speaker and fold the edges outwards like so:

02022010032.jpg

I even had to completely cut away a portion of the plastic so that my speakers would fit. After your satisfied with your plastic maiming abilities, check to see if it fits, if it does then awesome! Thats your new speaker installed. one down, one to go! If not, then cut and shape the plastic to your requirements. Once again DO NOT FORCE IT ON!! it should go on easily with very little effort!

Once your done it should look something like this:

02022010035.jpg

EXACTLY the same as it looked before, but sound far and beyond better :)

I hope this helped/ will help anyone doing this to their own Aygo. I have also done the glove box mod and the arm rest mod which I will be posting shortly :)

Good luck and I hope you are happy with the uprated sound quality you get :)

• Like 1

Good guide brief but covers everything important, just one small note, there are some Speakers out there that fit with out any modification to the cover its just a matter of checking for the right ones. Mind suppose you do have to consider quality, and Alpine are a good brand even if you do have to mod the cover.

If you do the Speakers in the rest of the car please post, it will be interesting to see.

i personaly didnt solder mine i just bought:

Aygo Speaker Leads

Ive changed my door speakers aswell. very easy to do but make sure u get the right speakers because if they are too deep ur window will hit em when you wind them down.

Soz for the spelling mistakes. im a youth lol

I also bought them aygo speaker leads, really easy.

And just out of interest, what Speakers do you have in your doors?

Moved to the 'Workshop'

Link added to the "How To's" sticky in the Aygo forum

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm gutted, i saw some good priced 10cm ripspeed Speakers in Halfords for £14.99, reduced from £26.99 bought them, took them home and they are too deep at the bottom, they wont fit because of this. What model are the ones you've fitted and where did you get them?

So i went back to Halfords and swapped them for a different pair. and sadly paid another £15, however i've fitted them. Took me less than an hour, and that included a trip to B&Q for some snips. If you don't have a soldering iron use electricians crimp clip connectors, 50p from B&Q and there spot on!

So this is my first proper MOD, unless you count the installation of a glove box, flat wiper and scuffplates as MOD's

I Intend to change the headlamp bulbs this weekend, although i am a little nervous, it's dark early these days and i don't want to be without lights, so any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the photo montage, was a great help btw!

• 7 months later...

I'm glad people found this useful :) there is definitely a limit to how deep you can go with the Speakers - I don't know exactly how deep that is, but I'm glad I didn't hit the limit!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...