Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Vvti 1.8 T Sport

alasdair09

Hi im new to this site and very interested in purchasing a 1.8 t sport corolla. Ive had a look for common problems that go wrong and really havent had much luck in finding any apart from gear boxs/clutchs.. Im wondering if anyone could shed any light to help me please. sorry if ive missed it im new to the site. Also if anyone has one for sale local to midlands around £4000 mark i would be interested. thanks again

if you search there should be a few threads detailing what to look out for on them.. might be worth a mod making one a sticky (Gaz?)

basic things to look for are squeaky clutch (master cylinder), the 2nd cam kicking in at 6200rpm as strongly as it should (worn lift bolts).

dont think theres many more, they are fairly reliable cars!

if you search there should be a few threads detailing what to look out for on them.. might be worth a mod making one a sticky (Gaz?)

basic things to look for are squeaky clutch (master cylinder), the 2nd cam kicking in at 6200rpm as strongly as it should (worn lift bolts).

dont think theres many more, they are fairly reliable cars!

thats what ive found and response i have been getting is the worn lift bolts an easy fix? how about the timing chains is there a reccomended intervil for them or is it they should go for ever?

providing the chain remains within a certain limit of play then it is ok. on time servicing certainly helps such matters.

lift botls are a 10 minute job if your used to a set of spanners and 30 if your not.

just make sure you get all the usual 2nd hand car bits sorted and you will be fine. HPI, mot, tax, servicing, number of owners, accidents, existing mods, mileage, condition of tyres. give it a good run on a test drive, get it warm prior to attempting to hit lift (ask the owners permission first). be prepared for lift to catch you out in 1st and 2nd, you wont expect the hit if its working properly, if it does just let off the gas and enjoy the over run ;)

cheers thanks very much..what about the keys do they have master keys like the fiats have the red key i think? im going to look at one at a dealer saturday knowing how they operate im very picky on certain things with tyres and bodywork as its obvious when someone has just done a quick blow over in the car park or not...one thing is i dont understand more bhp than a 182 however they are a hell of a lot cheaper to insure

Keys - Ive got 3 with mine, 2 full remote 1 POS key. No master as far as I know. Cant check as my other 2 are in my safety deposit box :) lol

Insurance - Cheaper than a 182 because a 182 is more readily known for being a hot hatch, desired by many, stolen by many. A CTS is relatively unknown and its a Corolla, Corolla and Grandparents go hand in hand.

They come with a Grey key and a standard key.

I thought the grey key was the master key until someone on here said it wasnt the other week, so i'm confused about that one.

--edit--

Ricc beat me to it :P

A few of us have had weak heat issues lately (51-53 plates mostly), if you bring it up to temperature on your test drive - might be worth making sure all your vents are pumping out heat, will save you buying a new heater matrix or troubles flushing it.

182's are quick certainly, but I know a megane sport owner and a clio sport owner and they have both had engine problems.. not that i dont like the car or anything.

They come with a Grey key and a standard key.

I thought the grey key was the master key until someone on here said it wasnt the other week, so i'm confused about that one.

--edit--

Ricc beat me to it :P

A few of us have had weak heat issues lately (51-53 plates mostly), if you bring it up to temperature on your test drive - might be worth making sure all your vents are pumping out heat, will save you buying a new heater matrix or troubles flushing it.

182's are quick certainly, but I know a megane sport owner and a clio sport owner and they have both had engine problems.. not that i dont like the car or anything.

you should get 2 remote keys, these are the master keys,

and a grey key, this is just a valet key!!!

DONT EVER LOSE THE REMOTE KEYS!!! THESE ARE WHAT REPLACMENTS ARE PROGRAMMED OFF!!

Also there is a problem with the seat pins snapping or something along those lines. Just a small thing to look out for. :)

Good luck, I look forward to seeing you around, get some pics up of it if you do get one. ;)

cheers so i know what to ask to check when looking at one...the grey key isnt really a must have then basically its just two remote keys?

cheers so i know what to ask to check when looking at one...the grey key isnt really a must have then basically its just two remote keys?

YUP!!! i found all this out recently as i got one remote key with my car,

got a copy last week from toyota for £130......

i watched them programme it with there diag machine plugged into my dash.

After going to see one local to me yesterday i really did enjoy driving it completly different from the car i have now but i have a quick question theres a few on autotrader with the round front bumper and leather seats and theres some with a front lip on the front bumper hard to describe but they have cloth interior is one facelift model or just optional extras. The leather interior on some of them you can see that they have had quiet a bit of wear on them

The Corolla's got a facelift in 2005 (54 plate) and very few 04 plates have the facelift. These have Teardrop headlights and different bumpers / skirts all 'round. Along with some additional new / different bits.

From the people I know with leater in a Pre-facelift they don't like 'em too much, if you however find a Facelift with leather, grab it! people are in high demand fr those! haha.

Pre-face leather aka £1500 rubber seats :lol:

After going to see one local to me yesterday i really did enjoy driving it completly different from the car i have now but i have a quick question theres a few on autotrader with the round front bumper and leather seats and theres some with a front lip on the front bumper hard to describe but they have cloth interior is one facelift model or just optional extras. The leather interior on some of them you can see that they have had quiet a bit of wear on them

The front lip your referring to is probably the TTE front lip that many pre-facelift owners have fitted, not sure if it fits the facelift - but you wouldnt really need it anyway as its pretty enough. Occasionaly you will also find a pre-facelift with short and long side skirts.

But yes many changes on the facelift model which make it an overall better buy, most noticably as mentioned above - teardrop headlights and round foglights rather than rectangular.

This pre-facelift leather sounds more like pleather (aka plastic leather) :lol:

I take it its best to have cloth seats on a pre facelift then

Depends what you want but I have the leather and it is very nice IMO. Nice seats not plastic looking at all, thats just people who don't have it that want it.

When I was looking to buy I looked at about 5 or 6 pre face lift and mine was the only one with the leather so I had it as there was no doubt it is much better than the cloth as the cloth looks tatty.

All the ones I looked at with the cloth the piping on them was pulled and it looked like a white fleck if you can live with that then go for it.

Also don't forget if you get the leather it is on the door linings and in the back of the car.

Depends what you want but I have the leather and it is very nice IMO. Nice seats not plastic looking at all, thats just people who don't have it that want it.

My old CTS had the leather and compared with other leather interiors in cars like my Passat it was too close to plastic in look and feel. It also doesn't have the smell of real leather like you would expect. If i had bought the car new after paying £1500 for the interior i would have been very disappointed.

Cars can be sold new with "leather" interiors that don't actually contain any leather, WTF is that all about????

My old CTS had the leather and compared with other leather interiors in cars like my Passat it was too close to plastic in look and feel. It also doesn't have the smell of real leather like you would expect. If i had bought the car new after paying £1500 for the interior i would have been very disappointed.

Cars can be sold new with "leather" interiors that don't actually contain any leather, WTF is that all about????

Must have run out of cows when they did yours, mine looks, feels and smells as good as any leather I have ever sat on or worn.

Its in no way real leather. its leather effect vinyl.

On Pre-Facelift the cloth are more supportive over the Leather. But on a car moving towards the age they are the cloth will obviously start to get dirty. Swings and roundabouts.

Wouldnt swap my car for another unless it was bust.

I was more than happy to of had a car with factory leather and Sat Nav but neither was worth the £1500 cost as an option, thats probably why it was a TUK demo and not a private car.

Leather, vinyl whatever it is its good enough for me, its in excellent condition and I would still rather it over the drab looking cloth of the pre facelift.

Leather, vinyl whatever it is its good enough for me, its in excellent condition and I would still rather it over the drab looking cloth of the pre facelift.

I would have to agree that the PFL cloth seats are not great ...

Having sat in both a pfl cloth and a pfl leather seat, I have to say that the cloth ones feel more comfortable and supportive.