Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kits

Bushweiser

Hi all,

posted quite a bit today, but I have an itch to buy an induction kit for the iQ. Was just wondering how people have found the mpg after installing dipping a lot.

Also, know that insurance will go up, but does anyone have actual power gains from either blitz or K&N?

Does it affect your warranty, and if so what does it invalidate.

Thanks

Bush

Hi all,

posted quite a bit today, but I have an itch to buy an induction kit for the iQ. Was just wondering how people have found the mpg after installing dipping a lot.

Also, know that insurance will go up, but does anyone have actual power gains from either blitz or K&N?

Does it affect your warranty, and if so what does it invalidate.

Thanks

Bush

Would it affect the road tax band??

• 2 weeks later...

It will not affect the road tax bad, but you should tell your insurance company as it would be considered a modification. The insurance company will probably sting you for a few quid to put the 'modification' on your policy. As for warranty, it depends on the dealership. It's unlikely that a simple induction kit would damage anything or be an issue, but some can be funnier about it than others. Induction kits are easy to fit, so if you need to take it in for some work, just put the original airbox back on and save yourself the worry...what they don't know won't hurt them!

As for performance....it's not a performance car and won't be after you put a new filter on it. I don't suppose it matters if it does 0-60 in 15 seconds or 14.9 seconds. It's still slow! Very often an open induction kit in a warm engine bay will actually rob you of power by sucking in warm air with less oxygen in it. However, the placebo effect of an induction kit (or exhaust for that matter) from the nice sound it will make will make you feel like you've got some extra power. B) If you wanted to get a tiny bit of extra power without invalidating your warranty, consider fitting a high flow panel filter in the original air box. You won't get a better induction sound, but you won't need to tell your insurance company (well, I wouldn't bother) and you might just get an extra 1/2 a bhp!

Im getting my IQ rolling roaded in April with my car club so will let you know if i have any power increase (I have Blitz induction) but bear in mind that i do have a custom exhaust from cat back also

It will not affect the road tax bad, but you should tell your insurance company as it would be considered a modification. The insurance company will probably sting you for a few quid to put the 'modification' on your policy. As for warranty, it depends on the dealership. It's unlikely that a simple induction kit would damage anything or be an issue, but some can be funnier about it than others. Induction kits are easy to fit, so if you need to take it in for some work, just put the original airbox back on and save yourself the worry...what they don't know won't hurt them!

As for performance....it's not a performance car and won't be after you put a new filter on it. I don't suppose it matters if it does 0-60 in 15 seconds or 14.9 seconds. It's still slow! Very often an open induction kit in a warm engine bay will actually rob you of power by sucking in warm air with less oxygen in it. However, the placebo effect of an induction kit (or exhaust for that matter) from the nice sound it will make will make you feel like you've got some extra power. B) If you wanted to get a tiny bit of extra power without invalidating your warranty, consider fitting a high flow panel filter in the original air box. You won't get a better induction sound, but you won't need to tell your insurance company (well, I wouldn't bother) and you might just get an extra 1/2 a bhp!

+1

Im getting my IQ rolling roaded in April with my car club so will let you know if i have any power increase (I have Blitz induction) but bear in mind that i do have a custom exhaust from cat back also

Have you had a rolling road test before the mods for comparison??:)

No but Ill be presuming it would have been the standard 67bhp lol

It isn't a certainty...I once had a Clio 172 that only had 164bhp when rolling roaded before modification. Gutted! After a few choice modifications and another RR session (on the same rollers) it nearly made standard power :unsure:

Will be interesting to see what you get though.

Well i had a Smart Fortwo and I rolling roaded that, it was standard, 3 years old and it did get the quoted 50bhp (50.6 to be exact!) So im pretty sure the IQ will be. Not fussed really, just be interesting!

No but Ill be presuming it would have been the standard 67bhp lol

It isn't a certainty...I once had a Clio 172 that only had 164bhp when rolling roaded before modification. Gutted! After a few choice modifications and another RR session (on the same rollers) it nearly made standard power :unsure:

Will be interesting to see what you get though.

172 could be referring simply to the BHP, not WHP, which is different due to transmission power-loss. ;) General rule I have been told is 20% loss, so 172/10=17.2 X2=35 BHP loss

You are lucky! :lol:

172 could be referring simply to the BHP, not WHP, which is different due to transmission power-loss. ;) General rule I have been told is 20% loss, so 172/10=17.2 X2=35 BHP loss

You are lucky! :lol:

Both fly wheel figures, not at the wheels. Long gone now anyway.

• 11 months later...

agree totally - but have you seen any direct replacement - i can't find any. even K&N states on their website that they have only the induction kit - which i don't want to use..

I doubt if an induction kit would do much (Apart from the placebo effect :toast:

It is possible to get to about 100BHP per 1000cc, but it takes time, cams, head polishing and a fistfull of £££££££££(or $$$$$$$ or €€€€€€€€€'s )

Nitrious Oxide on the other hand :eek:

Rgds

I'm going for the iQ3 which after driving, goes well enough as it is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links