Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq - Horrible Mpg - Not Happy With Dealer

J J

Sorry Guys, first post here. Have been lurking around for a while but just had to ask for other peoples opinions.

As luck would have it, I sold my Lexus IS200 (lovely car) and bought 2 Toyotas :huh: . An IQ2 1.0 MUltidrive for the Wife and a Gen 3 Prius T-Spirit.

Bought the IQ in December and did around 500 miles in the first 10 days and observed that I was averaging at around 28 MPG and reported it back to the dealer. Advised me to drive another 500 miles and report back.

Reported back after a month that the fuel consumption was around 30 -24MPG. I tried to drive really very carefully and the best I could get was 36 MPG.

Dealers called in the car 15 days back and ran a few tests and said car is perfectly fine (they changed the speedometer counter as the instantaneous fuel consumption was always stuck at max 60).

After a long discussion, they said that they will have to take the car in for a couple of days and do their own driving around test and test their own fuel consumption figures for my car.

They took the car yesterday and got a call sometime back letting me know that they have calculated the fuel consumption figure and it is 35MPG.

At this moment I said great - so tell me what can you do about this. MY lexus used to give me 30 MPG on the same route and I used to drive it like crazy.

The dealers response was - "THIS IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE FOR THIS CAR. As this is perfectly acceptable we cannot do anything."

My question for everyone here is - is this true?? I cannot do anything about a brand new car which I purchased and reported within a week that there seems to an issue with the fuel consumption.

I am really annoyed with the dealer about their response and feel totally cheated.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J J

• MarkyPancake

• Devil-ish

• Durham IQ

there has to be something wrong..cuz even when i put the foot down i average around 38 mpg and thats in a hurry!..i have never hardly dropped below this figure..

They'll usually say the car needs running in for 3000 miles etc. I recon its possible got a sensor issue... fuel air mixture etc. Thats usually what causes problems with over-use of fuel on Smart cars so it might be the same with IQs.

Am in the process of monitoring my fuel consumption as it seems very poor too! Have done just over 2000 miles so we will see if it improves

there has to be something wrong..cuz even when i put the foot down i average around 38 mpg and thats in a hurry!..i have never hardly dropped below this figure..

Thanks for the reply. Well when i press the foot down and drive in hurry it averages far less than 30 MPG

Have an update after speaking to Toyota Customer Relations (TCR).

Is TCR a joke. I called them and they made me explain the entire issue, they said that they cant do anything but will put in a word to the dealer. At the end of the call asked my reg no and then said the following. "Oh!, the dealer has contacted us and confirmed that your 35MPG figure and they cant do anything" . So basically as the dealer cant do anything - TCR cant do anything and all I have to do is shut up and be happy that i have a crap car with a crappy MPG - which also apparently has a faulty accelerator pedal.

I took delivery of my new Prius last Friday, God I wish I hadnt taken the delivery.

Please help with any suggestions...

I have never dropped below 45mpg... and that is still with the faulty instantaneous fuel consumption... I also do not drive carefully. Have a base model iQ

Is TCR a joke. I called them and they made me explain the entire issue, they said that they cant do anything but will put in a word to the dealer. At the end of the call asked my reg no and then said the following. "Oh!, the dealer has contacted us and confirmed that your 35MPG figure and they cant do anything" . So basically as the dealer cant do anything - TCR cant do anything and all I have to do is shut up and be happy that i have a crap car with a crappy MPG - which also apparently has a faulty accelerator pedal.

I took delivery of my new Prius last Friday, God I wish I hadnt taken the delivery.

Is the Multidrive system heavier on fuel than the 5 speed manual gearbox?In the "old days" auto boxes always gave worse fuel consumption figures than manual boxes, but things may have changed.

I have a 1.0 manual which gives on short "shopping" runs up to 55mpg and on longer runs, not exceeding 60mph on A roads, has given an average of 63mpg.

I use a Scangauge to monitor the consumption, and various other things, and it is accurate.I don't rely on the onboard computer although I have had it fixed.

The car has done about 8000 miles.

Your consumption does seem excessive.

I presume the dealer has plugged his gadgetry into the diagnostic port to check the operation of the various sensors on the engine, and there is nothing daft like a seized brake happening?!

One thing I have noticed though was my economy has increased the more I have become accustomed to driving the car and how to get the best from it.I had an Aygo before the IQ and when I first got the IQ, the Aygo had been much more economical but now the IQ is much more economical than the Aygo ever was.

i,ve had mine for a few weeks done about a 1000 my average is 56,thats all sorts of driving conditions ,never go over 60 miles per hour.i don,t think my average has been below 50,thats in the iq 1

I think you have a problem my fuel consumption is well above 50mpg even around town and to date have only covered 600 miles so I would expect the mpg to improve. maybe the next step is to contact trade description dept as you bought the car for its fuel economy. I have a polo 1.4 and I get more than you even around town. The IQ is marketed on its fuel economy but in your case you are not getting this. I think the dealer is putting they head in the sand hoping you will go away.

and there is nothing daft like a seized brake happening?!

I could never imagine toyota making a car with a brake problem! Imagine if they did, they would have to get Mr toyota to apologise to everybody and insist it will never happen again. Confidence would be shaken in the company. It would be even worse if it was to happen to their most advanced car like the Prius it would be all over the news! ;) Oh wait a minute... :P Bad week for Mr T.

Just bring the car to the dealer and say it's not what you wanted/expected what other cars give/do/are.....give them a decent amount of time to fix it and use this time a car of them.

Can't/won't fix it?.......get your money back and they can have the car back.................simpel as that.

But you calculate it by computer or really at the pump?

Thanks to this site i can follow this topic : http://www.pege.org/fuel/convert.htm

With my IQ3 1.33 (8000 km done so far) I usually do a 26 miles per galon driving like shumarer between two red lights... and very few highways.

Tonight I drove very slowly for 2 miles (from gas station to my home) and could do a 34/36 driving as if there was an egg under my right foot and changeing gears before 3000 t/min.

So according to me it is not "perfectly acceptable" to do this average with the 1.0l engine !!!

The problem is it will be difficult to calculate the loss and to have something from toyota for this loss... don't think they will take the car back and give you a new one...

hi jj

have you brimed the tank with fuel

then done a few miles & fill it again

its the best way to sus this kind of problem

cos the mpg read out could be telling porkies

mine reads low

My first fill cost me £27... then the bottom notch started flashing after about 250miles... filled it up again... its cost me £23.... (£1.10 a litre)

Clearly this computer doesn't give out accurate readings.

I noticed -0.3 / +0.3 l/100km between displayed and real fuel consumption.

Example with mpg : if my real mpg is 26.13 mpg, sometimes it can display between 27.04 and 25.29 mpg.

If you click on the "Fuelly" link in my signature you will see the consumption of our cars, as long as you top up the same each time and remember to reset your trip meter after each fill up (remembering the mileage of course ;) ) This will give a good indication of how your cars are performing. FUELLY "HOW TO" PAGE

As far as the trip computer MPG goes, it seems a bit random. Sometimes over estimating, sometimes under. At each fuel up I note the car's readout as well as the actual consumption. You can see the results here: Fuelly

As far as the trip computer MPG goes, it seems a bit random. Sometimes over estimating, sometimes under. At each fuel up I note the car's readout as well as the actual consumption. You can see the results here: Fuelly

Your graph is as random as mine CLICKY but quite predictable really, steady and constant speeds will always return good figures even during winter months, whereas short stop start driving will be less favourable :yes: (I can even tell when the driving has been a little......spirited ;) )

Mine started off at around 37mpg when I first got it. :(

After 2,500ish miles, I'm now getting round about 50 on the same roads.

Not quite the 60mpg for the auto that they quote, but they always exagerate. :rolleyes:

hi jj

have you brimed the tank with fuel

then done a few miles & fill it again

its the best way to sus this kind of problem

cos the mpg read out could be telling porkies

mine reads low

Hi, I have measured the MPG over 5 fuel ups. Fill it to full and then drive and then calculate. Its the same... The meter reading is slightly lower than what i get in real.

• 2 weeks later...

I filled up last friday, drove from nottingham to stroud and i was getting 53-60mpg, which i couldnt believe, it was amazing, it was like someone gave me a totally different iq as it used to show 44mpg or under, which was crap. Then i filled it up again on sunday and it hasnt gone above 43mpg.

I mainly drive it to work and back along 2 pretty fast roads, racing everything at traffic lights (which doesnt help fuel consumption) but im pretty sure the mpg reading is always wrong.

Took it in with a gear changing problem and asked the mechanics about it, they say there are 2 different types of mpg guages, 1 which reads up to 60mpg and 1 which reads up to 100mpg (although you will never get to 100) which will give you different readings on how much you are actually getting. It confused me loads.

Conclusion: If you drive it like an old person, change gear when ever it says (2-3000 revs) you will get good mpg, but if you should have one little race with anyone, it'll stay at about 37mpg for ages, until it decides to reset itself. They should have just stated it does 50mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think the main problem is with the IQ anything above 60 mph eats into your MPG....

if im travelling between 55mph-60mph I get between 55MPG ang 60MPG.

However in a rush at 75mph i only get around 45MPG.

Massive difference, but only a relatively small speed increase...

if im travelling between 55mph-60mph I get between 55MPG ang 60MPG.

However in a rush at 75mph i only get around 45MPG.

Massive difference, but only a relatively small speed increase...

That's because the drag at 75mph is about 85% more than at 55mph :(

Paul.

My average MPG is usually around 37-40 but then my average mph is 12.3 or something silly like that! Damn traffic to and from work.

I couldn't give 2 hoots what my mpg is to be honest! I'm either in traffic doing 5mph or on a dual carriageway doing 70, so it doesn't surprise me that its low.

I did try to increase it and got average of 50+ but it was a struggle for me to drive like that, I like a fun/low mpg drive not a boring/high mpg drive