Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq - Horrible Mpg - Not Happy With Dealer

J J

The IQ seems a funny choice of car for thrashing around and having fun if you are worried about MPG (I know some aren't). We've been consistently getting 60mpg + out of ours and yes we drive it conservatively (we've got two other toys to meet our speed needs) , but we got it just for that reason, its a good/excellent economical commuter car. If you want a sportier car, then get one, but there is rarely a car that performs every function.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J J

• MarkyPancake

• Devil-ish

• Durham IQ

Hi, Igot my IQ2 on the first of September and have done mearly 5,000 miles.

When I first got the car I was getting around 55 to 60 mpg but within the first month after getting used to it and ever since I average between 60 and at the best 68 mpg I have checked this out by filling it up ever Sunday and zeroing the trip meter the work it out against how many litres used against how many miles I have covered from Sunday to Sunday.

I get up early to travel to work and travel 90% of my journey on the motor, I keep my speed between 50 and 60mpg their and back without making a pest of my self because the motorway is very quiet at the times I travel.

Exactly the same as Sally, when I booted mine (which was often) it would sometimes go down to 30mpg but when driving like Miss Marple it would do 50mpg! I have to say I was not impressed with the MPG from what was quoted when they promoted it but put up with it because so cute & fun.

My Renault 5 which is a 1.4 does between 40-45mpg so I am sticking with that for time being.

Jaine

never got higher that 46 - most times much lower in my iQ3 - perhaps I should stop trying to drive it like my old cooper S - trouble is that little grin on the front of the car says - faster faster !!!!!

• 5 months later...

The key problem is on the gearbox, the purpose of CVT is suppose to deliver a better MPG than a tradtional automatic gearbox. I am not sure if the IQ will run on even more fuel if a tradtional auto gearbox was fitted inside but currently the CVT is consuming ~50% more fuel than the manual gearbox which is unacceptable and very different from the official figure that show the CVT consume 10-15% than the manual version.

I would have picked a manual IQ if I have read all these before I buy my car.

Go & read some Smart forums, they are the same! A 1 litre 71bhp fortwo will get 50mpg on a good day but 45ish normally, a turbo'd one 84bhp 1 litre will be more like 40mpg!

Euro 5 just makes the economy worse but it's OK cos CO2 emissions are better..... glad to see the EU doing nothing useful once again!

Kate

Go & read some Smart forums, they are the same! A 1 litre 71bhp fortwo will get 50mpg on a good day but 45ish normally, a turbo'd one 84bhp 1 litre will be more like 40mpg!

Euro 5 just makes the economy worse but it's OK cos CO2 emissions are better..... glad to see the EU doing nothing useful once again!

Kate

Wifey gets around 40mpg mostly in town, stop and start. Average overall is 45mpg and the very best I ever got was about 51mpg on my country road commute. Less than 40 has to suck and I'm not sure what to do when it's way, way down on the scale. It would also be crap if you wear lead diving boots.

I've done 1300 miles and so far the lowest i've had (pump to pump average) is 58mpg. Best so far when really concentrating on journeys is 64mpg. My daily commute involves mainly motorway and A-road driving but also includes in town driving. I'm really happy with this (my previous car was a celica GT4 so i tend to have a heavy foot!)

IQ1 manual

Just to add to the debate - my manual iQ2 has just ticked over the 28,000 mile mark and I am averaging just over 55 (typically between 50 and 60 mpg on a tank).

Not being overly worried about my MPG I recently for the first time ever since owning my iQ I hit 60MPG... this was on a stretch of the M1 limited to 50mph... Have had the car for just over a year now and done 12,000 miles. Recently I have had the MPG showing around 50 - 55MPG which I have never had before. This could be down to my commute changing from inner-city driving which gave me 35-45MPG to going up and down the A5 which gives me the 50-55MPG.

The key problem is on the gearbox, the purpose of CVT is suppose to deliver a better MPG than a tradtional automatic gearbox. I am not sure if the IQ will run on even more fuel if a tradtional auto gearbox was fitted inside but currently the CVT is consuming ~50% more fuel than the manual gearbox which is unacceptable and very different from the official figure that show the CVT consume 10-15% than the manual version.

I would have picked a manual IQ if I have read all these before I buy my car.

IF this would be true then return it as it is so horrible faulthy as it can be. :!Removed!:

• 5 weeks later...

I'm interested to know how other iQ3 CVT owners are finding their fuel consumption. I picked my new one up today and haven't done a lot of miles to make a fair observation yet, but so far I'm not liking the 25 MPG on the display after coming from a 4.3 V8 that was getting around 20 under the same driving conditions.

I'm interested to know how other iQ3 CVT owners are finding their fuel consumption. I picked my new one up today and haven't done a lot of miles to make a fair observation yet, but so far I'm not liking the 25 MPG on the display after coming from a 4.3 V8 that was getting around 20 under the same driving conditions.

I've had mine for just over a week now. I'm getting 39 mpg town driving and 51 mpg on the motorway. I am taking it very easy with the car though like it saya in the manual for the first 1000 miles. Nearly at the 400 mark :rolleyes:

I am taking it very easy with the car though like it saya in the manual for the first 1000 miles. Nearly at the 400 mark :rolleyes:

My dealer just told me to drive it like normal, which I know is subjective, and whilst I'm not driving around slowly, I'm not caning it either.

Breaking in an engine is always an interesting topic of debate and something I haven't had to do on any cars or bikes before, having never been lucky enough to buy new. Some say to follow the manual, surely the manufacturer knows best right, and others say to drive it hard: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm - it's bike centric, but you get the idea.

I have a 1.0 multidrive and return an average of 51mpg travelling 80miles a day on my 'A' road commnute to work. When pushing the car, economy drops to around 45mpg. Never got more than 58mpg, although the instant fuel economy never exceeds 60mpg.

my i q 2 multi drive returnes 49 m.p.g in the summer and 39 m.p.g in the winter

Natually there is a difference in mpg between driving in cold and warm weather..

I think it is more obvious for small car.

I'm still breaking my auto iQ3 in, but so far the on-board computer is reporting 40 MPG around town, which I'm happy with after getting 18-21 in my Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

Have an update after speaking to Toyota Customer Relations (TCR).

Is TCR a joke. I called them and they made me explain the entire issue, they said that they cant do anything but will put in a word to the dealer. At the end of the call asked my reg no and then said the following. "Oh!, the dealer has contacted us and confirmed that your 35MPG figure and they cant do anything" . So basically as the dealer cant do anything - TCR cant do anything and all I have to do is shut up and be happy that i have a crap car with a crappy MPG - which also apparently has a faulty accelerator pedal.

I took delivery of my new Prius last Friday, God I wish I hadnt taken the delivery.

Please help with any suggestions...

Yeah I have a suggestion - find your nearest Honda dealer next time you want to buy a new car! We have had trouble with 4 x new Toyotas in our family and one of the Yaris has a fluctuaing blower fan that the dealer can't fix - apparently they all do it.

IQ3 CVT auto averaging 41 (UK) mpg over 1500 miles since new.

Better than my Vauxhall 1200cc Manual Agila (4 seats / Loads space, but very small wheels) that did 36mpg on the same runs.

BUT OH Dohhhhhhhhhhhhh ! The car I chopped in for P/x was a VW 2000cc Touran seven seater did 45mpg. A reflection VW engineering !

Maybe focusing on £35 Road Fund was a mistake !

Rgds

• 1 month later...

now its cold my iq 2 auto only averages 39 mpg true readinnot so good in winter considering i could have bought a larger car with better mpg, its to late now i spent all my money on the iq, so i will have to put up with it.

As much as I like my iQ3 I did expect more MPG from a 1.3 inline 4 car that is less than half the weight of my old 4.3 V8; I'm only getting around 18-20 MPG more if I'm lucky.

• 1 month later...

I have an iQ 1.0 CVT and was getting 51mpg dropping to 48mpg with a heavy foot. I have an 88 mile daily commute using only motorways and A roads. By dropping the speed on the motorway I am now returning 55 to 58mpg.