Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption On Trip Computer Wrong

scribble

Hi All

I recently purchased a 2003 1.8vvt Avensis T4 Estate.

The trip computer reports that my average fuel consumption is mid 50mpg and on a run I can achieve over 60mpg!!!!

Wouldn't that be nice! The reality is it just about manages 40mpg on a good day.

Any ideas?

In my experience the onboard fuel calculators ain't liars but I do know they are economic with the truth.:) Sadly they only extrapolate from information generated by the ECU and speedo systems and have no such thing as a flow-meter which would actually measure fuel consumption. Also any voltage fluctiuation can have an adverse effect on the information. Always believe the what goes into the tank and don't treat the OBC as accurate.

I have seen people add so-called super chips thinking they have made significant improvements in fuel consumption but sadly most of then interfere with the data sent to the ECU and OBC to produce errant readings.:)

Hi,

The Trip computer is based on averages. Next time you refill your tank, reset all the Trip settings & you will find it's pretty close. When I first got mine, it said I would get over 600 miles to the tank, I managed 430. I read the manual & reset all to zero after filling up. Now when I drive the car in town, it is reasonably accurate. The tank warning light comes on & the readout says the mileage to go is always about 30 miles. On the open road it advises it's about 44-50 miles to go. I have never taken the chence to actually check how close it would be.

Marv

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links