Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Prius Update Re Break Issue & Story With Toyota Gb Hq

hsiaolc

Thank you Toyota PR for the statement [...] While I/we acknowledge its hard to class it as dangerous and the media are blowing it all out of proportion, so long as Toyota acknowledge this 'glitch' exits and will look at the best way of implementing the software change onto pre Jan UK cars...I will be happy.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I will say this. As a prospective UK Prius purchaser, nothing I have seen or read in the last couple of weeks regarding the "fault(s)" themselves has deterred me from buying one. However, Toyota's response will make or break my decision. Any car maker can be forced into a recall, we've seen it dozens of times. It's how they handle it that matters.

Perhaps some good will come out of this débâcle. Toyota's pride in their products - and themselves - has been badly wounded. But look at how Mercedes have gone out of their way to over-engineer the cars they have developed in the wake of their quality crisis of a few years ago. It stung them out of arrogance and into action. If Toyota are smart - which I've every reason to believe they are - the same will happen here. And better Priuses will result.

As for 4 meters issue. I don't know if you drive at all. But when we make a left turn here at a roundabout the distance between you and the car is less than half a meter.

Do I understand this sentence correctly?! Please enlighten me if not, but I'm as impatient as the next man, but I NEVER drive within about 2 metres of the car in front, let alone half a meter, whether I'm about to turn at a roundabout or not - even when I've stopped!! If someone were driving within half a meter behind me I would be seriously worried.

I'm sure anyone who has experienced a fraction of a second of apparent loss of braking would be freaked out - and I think I have, though I'm not sure if it's the same as everyone is saying) but it really wasn't a big deal and as most sensible drivers would do, I have simply put this down to the way the car handles and to be honest, my driving style doesn't seem to be inducive to this phenomenon. I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary and I have driven over many speed humps.

Yes I think you are mistaken. It has nothing to do with the car infront. You always need to keep a safe distance. But as you turn left into any road there are other cars on the other lane stopped waiting to turn left or right since he will have to stop seeing that you are coming. Which means as you turn left there will be a car infront of your car while you are in the middle of your turn. Your car is near perpendicular to the other car basically as you make the left turn and that distance between your car and theirs is less than half a meters.

Now as you are making the left turn you might still apply the brake once more but if that surges you forward then you will hit the car on the other lane. Hope this clears the problem for you. It is not about hitting the car infront.

I wish I can draw a diagram but since I can't hopefully this clears things up.

Please understand I am trying to help you work out your concerns, so that you avoid losing a lot of money changing your car.

OK, if I understand you correctly, you are now talking about driving down a main road and turning left, into a side road. Waiting in the side road is another car waiting to turn (either left or right, doesn't matter) on to the main road. :thumbsup:

If there is a rough surface across the apex of the bend (pothole, or poorly repaired trench with an uneven surface), you are worried that braking on this rough surface, might cause you to hit the car waiting to turn on to the main road.

OK, I think I follow you.

Again I will say, if you are at low speed, there is nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

I think I am right in saying that because the regenerative brake system loses effiency at low speeds, the car will switch to total (normal) hydraulic braking at 7mph at all times, anyway. And when on normal hydraulic brakes this characteristic of the Prius braking system will never reveal itself.
Has I think I explained earlier if you are at a crawling speed (ie near stand still) you are using just the hydrulic brakes anyway. This 'problem' cannot possibly happen just on hydraulic brakes at very low speed. It is the transition from regenerative braking to hydraulic braking that is the critical phase.

An extract from this Article about the Prius B-mode.

"The only time the physical brakes are used *by preference* is during a

panic stop, when the pedal is suddenly slammed down. The system senses

this fast rate of change and immediately brings in the hydraulic brakes

for faster and safer stopping with all four wheels. "B" mode makes no

difference there, either. And of course all regeneration quits at less

than 6 or 7 mph, when the motors aren't turning fast enough to provide

useful power -- the physical brakes handle the last part of stopping.

Many people can feel a sort of braking "sag" at the transition, although

Toyota has managed to make that fairly smooth and seamless."

If you are taking this turn into the side road at a higher speed :eek:, the balance of any car will be upset by suddenly having to jump on the brakes and you consequently run the risk of hitting the waiting car, especially if like you say the clearence between you and the waiting car is only half a metre.

• 2 weeks later...
Please understand I am trying to help you work out your concerns, so that you avoid losing a lot of money changing your car.

OK, if I understand you correctly, you are now talking about driving down a main road and turning left, into a side road. Waiting in the side road is another car waiting to turn (either left or right, doesn't matter) on to the main road. :thumbsup:

If there is a rough surface across the apex of the bend (pothole, or poorly repaired trench with an uneven surface), you are worried that braking on this rough surface, might cause you to hit the car waiting to turn on to the main road.

OK, I think I follow you.

Again I will say, if you are at low speed, there is nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

I think I am right in saying that because the regenerative brake system loses effiency at low speeds, the car will switch to total (normal) hydraulic braking at 7mph at all times, anyway. And when on normal hydraulic brakes this characteristic of the Prius braking system will never reveal itself.
Has I think I explained earlier if you are at a crawling speed (ie near stand still)

An extract from this Article about the Prius B-mode.

"The only time the physical brakes are used *by preference* is during a

panic stop, when the pedal is suddenly slammed down. The system senses

this fast rate of change and immediately brings in the hydraulic brakes

for faster and safer stopping with all four wheels. "B" mode makes no

difference there, either. And of course all regeneration quits at less

than 6 or 7 mph, when the motors aren't turning fast enough to provide

useful power -- the physical brakes handle the last part of stopping.

Many people can feel a sort of braking "sag" at the transition, although

Toyota has managed to make that fairly smooth and seamless."

If you are taking this turn into the side road at a higher speed :eek:, the balance of any car will be upset by suddenly having to jump on the brakes and you consequently run the risk of hitting the waiting car, especially if like you say the clearence between you and the waiting car is only half a metre.

you are using just the hydrulic brakes anyway. This 'problem' cannot possibly happen just on hydraulic brakes at very low speed. It is the transition from regenerative braking to hydraulic braking that is the critical phase.

Like I said you are not much of a help but on the contrary.

Prius is now being recalled and you are totally wrong. Luckily you are not a car engineer. But unfortunate there is such a senor member of this forum such as yourself who talk lots of nonesense and clearly a Toyota fanboy.

Lucky for us that we complained at the right time so that our Prius brake issues are solved. Looked at those Gen2 Prius Brake problems, it will just fall on deaf ears.

But hey I got my car fixed and thats what I cared about. I will also get my radio fixed soon too. Hopefully one day I can get a better car than Toyota

Like I said you are not much of a help but on the contrary.

Prius is now being recalled and you are totally wrong. Luckily you are not a car engineer. But unfortunate there is such a senor member of this forum such as yourself who talk lots of nonesense and clearly a Toyota fanboy.

Lucky for us that we complained at the right time so that our Prius brake issues are solved. Looked at those Gen2 Prius Brake problems, it will just fall on deaf ears.

But hey I got my car fixed and thats what I cared about. I will also get my radio fixed soon too. Hopefully one day I can get a better car than Toyota

hsiaolc,

Please be aware that personal insults to members on these forums will not be tolerated.

The members on here have gone out of their way to answer your concerns over your Prius, however you appear to be hell bent on knocking the product and criticising contented owners, despite the fact that TOYOTA have acknowledged the problem.

If you are unable to contribute to the forum without the insults, may I suggest that you refrain from further comment until you become more satisfied with your car :)

Going slightly off-topic here, but as I have only driven a gen2 Prius, does the regen braking work differently in the gen3?

rick

rickers, the Gen2 and Gen3 are very similar, but the under 7 mph transition seems more noticeable in the latest model.

hsiaolc, the Prius DOES NOT surge forward under braking, the rate of deceleration just changes, please get over it !

The Prius is not unsafe, you just have to adapt to the software that Toyota have installed and will soon be updating.

Finally, hsiaolc, spelling and grammar checkers are free, please install one.

My 59 T Spirit has never had any brake problems. Of course the brakes are different from some other cars but you soon

get used to this.

If Toyota UK says the problem does not apply to UK models surely we must accept this?

Finally if someone finds it necessary to record their telephone calls (I presume after the legal requirement of first notifying the person they are calling)

I do wonder if they have other motives.

Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have had it and so have others. We are somewhat frustrated because we are being treated like fools!

Just looking back at my old post here. I guess I must have been in a grumpy mood! lol

Had the recall done today (16/2/10) and trust this matter is now all solved. :)

hsiaolc,

Please be aware that personal insults to members on these forums will not be tolerated.

The members on here have gone out of their way to answer your concerns over your Prius, however you appear to be hell bent on knocking the product and criticising contented owners, despite the fact that TOYOTA have acknowledged the problem.

If you are unable to contribute to the forum without the insults, may I suggest that you refrain from further comment until you become more satisfied with your car :)

Thank you Red Yaris 54 :thumbsup:

There are two instances I remember where the car just launches forward as if it had what they called a jump start in F1 when you press the brake.

What a crock. I can't get my Prius to launch forward if I put it in PWR mode and floor the accelerator. Guess I must be pressing the wrong pedal :P :lol:

My 59 T Spirit has never had any brake problems. Of course the brakes are different from some other cars but you soon

get used to this.

If Toyota UK says the problem does not apply to UK models surely we must accept this?

Finally if someone finds it necessary to record their telephone calls (I presume after the legal requirement of first notifying the person they are calling)

I do wonder if they have other motives.

Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have had it and so have others. We are somewhat frustrated because we are being treated like fools!

Just looking back at my old post here. I guess I must have been in a grumpy mood! lol

Had the recall done today (16/2/10) and trust this matter is now all solved. :)

I thought your comments on my post were a bit harsh but I presumed you had just had a bad day!! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links